Newly Diagnosed type 1.5 changed diet to LCHF

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
At fist I thought the LcHf diet to be more expensive, but now I think it probably isn't. That's because I don't eat between meals, no cakes, no snacks.

Hope you enjoy Dr B's book.

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@awaysworkin
Yes LCHF is a bit expensive, but worth every extra penny :). Also the food lasts for several days. For example I always bake this paleobread:
http://www.erdusulten.dk/stenalderbroed/opskrift/126
it´s quality lasts for days, same goes for lchf buns. If you first start this lifestyle there´s no turning back, we reap the rewards when we see how stable our bloodsugar readings are, it is very satisfactory

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So my latest hba1c is 5.2% or 33mmol/mol which is excellent! My doctor now thinks I may be able to extend my honeymoon up to 2 years. But If you watch troy stapleton on youtube, there are diabetics type 1 that have been type 1 for 24 years that are achieving
similar results with lchf .
I am at the moment on 8 units of novomix(getting to low sometimes because of the 30% fastacting)), but I will switch to lantus and novorapid very soon. I sort of only need basal at the moment and maybe I will bolus 1/2 a unit sometimes.

Reactions: 2 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
@awaysworkin
Yes LCHF is a bit expensive, but worth every extra penny :). Also the food lasts for several days. For example I always bake this paleobread:
http://www.erdusulten.dk/stenalderbroed/opskrift/126
it´s quality lasts for days, same goes for lchf buns. If you first start this lifestyle there´s no turning back, we reap the rewards when we see how stable our bloodsugar readings are, it is very satisfactory
Any idea how I can get this link translated into English

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
So my latest hba1c is 5.2% or 33mmol/mol which is excellent! My doctor now thinks I may be able to extend my honeymoon up to 2 years. But If you watch troy stapleton on youtube, there are diabetics type 1 that have been type 1 for 24 years that are achieving
I am at the moment on 8 units of novomix(getting to low sometimes because of the 30% fastacting)), but I will switch to lantus and novorapid very soon. I sort of only need basal at the moment and maybe I will bolus 1/2 a unit sometimes.
Dr bernsteins says the honeymoon period can last many, many years.... If BG levels are kept within his recommend range of 4.6 fasting and 5.6 2hrs after eating

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Latest HBA1C is 31mmol/mol or 5.0%. So next appointment in dec will be 1 year since diagnoses. So LCHF is dooing me wonders so far. I´ll keep updating every 3 months, so we´ll see how long my honeymoon will last......

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I got diagnosed in November 2014, started on Metformin and in May 2015 migrated to Levemir/Novorapid. Currently I take 2 units of Levemir and 1 unit of Novorapid before meals (sometimes none). I sometimes go a litle low (3.9 yesterday) after taking Novorapid but somehow I feel better when I take it. Could it be that my body is more relaxed as it does not need to produce as much insulin after eating?

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi cz_dave! I also sometimes have taken novorapid with meals, but as with you I also tend to go lowish 3.9 or lower. Now I only take novorapid if I go higher than 8. This rarely happens, but then I take a 1/2 or 1 unit unit of novorapid as I am very insulin sensitive at the moment. Mostly I take only 8 units of Lantus every morning. But you just have to be careful with fastacting with your low numbers, as it could give you a hypo. But you could very well be dooing the right ting as dr. Bernstein wants us to be lower than 5.5 2 hours after every meal for prolonging our honeymoon indefinitely. As for you feeling better when bolusing, I can´t tell why that is, but probably because you avoid any spike after meals when bolusing.

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My latest HBA1c is 5.2% / 33mmol/mol, so still dooing well 13 months in to my diagnosis.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done! My HbAlc from two weeks ago is 35. I have slightly increased my basal recently, otherwise no significant change luckily...

Reactions: 4 people

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to update from my previous post; I 'celebrated' my first 12 months since diagnosis in November, and took the family out for a meal (low carb of course) to celebrate. Looking back at how ill I was, I'm so grateful to be still here today.

I've done just over six months on lchf, and wow, what an improvement. No more hypers or hypos, few spikes, and with most meals being below 30g carbs, no need for insulin either.

Sure, some meals are higher - especially when eating out, then I calculate on a ratio of 1 unit of insulin to 30g carbs. Hba1c has steadily come down from 101 to 53, now 46.

My cholesterol is currently up a bit to the dismay of my GP, but I have had significant problems with the two types of statins he has put me on, so am currently on yoghurt drinks with plant sterols to bring it down without popping more pills.

I know lchf doesn't suit everybody, but it's certainly worked well for me. Usual BGs are 5's and 6's. Exercise is key - if I am 'high', a quick run up the road and back (only 3/4 mile) can reduce by up to 2 BGs. Just exercise until slightly breathless, but not absolutely bu@@ered. Fitness has improved on lchf too.

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Nidge247
You seem to have a strong honeymoon and obviously producing quit a bit of your own insulin yet (hopefully you get a very long honeymoon)! I personally can have no more than between 30-50g carbs for the whole day if I want my numbers at all times to be in normal range.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Fido78

I agree that lchf is the main player. My usual day gives me 10g at breakfast, a zero carb lunch, between 0-30g at teatime, and 0-10g at bedtime depending on levels.

Lots of fresh berries and nuts, oatcake for snacks. Plenty of greens and salads. Must get back on the smoothies!

LRD

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am 36 years old newly diagnosed type 1.5 in december 2014 . My HBA1c was 15.5%. I decided to change my diet to LCHF. I am currently on Novomix30 6 units a day injected in the morning. As you can see in the diagram I am dooing quit well already. Created this tread for us lada´s that are on LCHF and also for motivating my self and hopefully others. Looking forward to hearing from others Lada´s.....
View attachment 11821
What is LCHF diet? What does it consist of? Where do you find it? I would be interested in knowing.

Lady_Di

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was diagnosed with LADA nearly two years ago. Is LADA1-5 the same thing. I was 55 when I became symptomatic. I take Novomix 30 which I adjust when I exercise. I normally take 10 units am and 12 units in the evening. This gives me good control. I think I need to read Dr Bernsteins book as I have been trying to find some decent guidelines and possibly reduce the amount of insulin I am taking. Anyone else on Novomix 30?Anyone suffering bruises with GlucoRX 5mm fine needles.
Cheers Lady Di

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lady_Di
Yes LADA and diabetes 1.5 is the same.
I was also given Novomix 30 for starters. It works well, but for me, I was having far to many lows on novomix 30. Currently I am taking 8 units of Lantus a day. I also have novorapid for bolus but only rarely find it necessarily to use when I am low carbing. DO your self a favour and do read Dr Bernsteins book as it makes a interesting read and will provide you with a lot of valuable tips of how to optomize your diabetes treatment

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Latest Hba1c was 5.1% / 32mmol/mol 19 months since diagnosis. So far LCHF working wonders....