Newly diagnosed Type 1: Cold and flu

anth77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone recommend something suitable for cold and flu , everything i read says dont take if u have diabetes! Can i still use these products or is there something out there more suitable? P.s am a new type 1 was diagnosed about 5 weeks ago still lots to learn thx in advance.

Reactions: himtoo

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone recommend something suitable for cold and flu , everything i read says dont take if u have diabetes! Can i still use these products or is there something out there more suitable? P.s am a new type 1 was diagnosed about 5 weeks ago still lots to learn thx in advance.
I wouldn't worry too much about over the counter medication. The majority of medications will say something along the lines of "if you suffer from diabetes please consult your doctor or physician".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of ANY cold/flu medication that says "don't take if you have diabetes"?

You should consult your Pharmacist to be sure, if ever in doubt. Otherwise - have a thorough read through the patient information leaflet as everything will be clearly outlined in that document.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @anth77 :)

Sorry you've got a cold. I generally stick to paracetamol, hot drinks and steam inhalations when I have a cold.

You should do extra blood tests too as any illness can mess up your blood sugars.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@GrantGam1337 I think some of the ones that can cause drowsiness do because of the risk of missing a hypo. Some of the sweet cough medicines do aswell, I think.

anth77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @anth77 :)

Sorry you've got a cold. I generally stick to paracetamol, hot drinks and steam inhalations when I have a cold.

You should do extra blood tests too as any illness can mess up your blood sugars.
My blood lvls have been all over since ive diagnosed range from 4.2 lowest to 27 with avg of 14 an sure it will sort its self out at some point.

Reactions: himtoo

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I friend got me some night nurse capsules today as I asked for the stuff you drink but told her to mention the diabetes and he advised her to give me capsules instead. However there are other conditions which my be a problem so i'd check out the link below which gives further conditions where you should not take this kind of medication. Bit late now but you are always better asking a pharmacist. I take other meds and luckily the guy at Lloyds knew who the stuff was for and so told me not to take too many and under no circumstances take additional paracetamol.

Not sure if the moderator will allow this link but here goes

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/aches-and-pains/a8161/night-nurse/

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrantGam1337 I think some of the ones that can cause drowsiness do because of the risk of missing a hypo. Some of the sweet cough medicines do aswell, I think.
Apologies @azure, a big oversight there on my part.

If in doubt, pharmacist, GP and patient information leaflet will still keep you right @anth77

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Reactions: GrantGam

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My blood lvls have been all over since ive diagnosed range from 4.2 lowest to 27 with avg of 14 an sure it will sort its self out at some point.

The early days are hard. Type 1 isn't easy to get your head round. If you'd like a book, Think Like A Pancreas is a great one, and very popular here.

When you're feeling better, perhaps you could look around the Type 1 section and maybe ask any questions you have. There are some very supportive people here, so do feel free to,ask away :)