Newly diagnosed type 1, wanting to make friends!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Zoe
late to the party as usual ( me) but a warm welcome to the forum :)

very early days young lady so most important is to take it 1 day at a time -- don't worry about getting the high readings -- keep talking to your DSN ( every day if you need to ) and do keep testing :cool:
something else is for these early weeks try and establish a routine and stick to it - it is a bit of a burden doing things the same every day but even this should help bring your numbers down and establish a pattern-- there is plenty of time to vary your lifestyle as you get more used to yourself.

glad to have you with us young lady !!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Mmmm stodgy food!!! You will get used to it!!
Only a suggestion based on the amounts of insulin you have been told to take and you do whatever suits you as we are all different
Breakfast 50g carbs
Lunch 40g of carbs
Dinner 40g of carbs
Those figures would work if 1 unit of insulin covers 10g of carbs. That is always a good starting point to work on and see how you go
Please do check BS often if you start to reduce your carb intake whilst on set doses of Insulin as too few carbs combined with too much insulin = Hypo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It takes time. You need to be patient.

Bear in mind that it took nature millions of years to get the pancreas and beta cells right to where they do (well did) their job just right. You cant expect to figure it all out in a few weeks. What also doesnt help is things are still changing as you are still in the honeymoon period.

For the first couple of months I was diagnosed I was on 8U of lantus and was taking novorapid in set doses of 8 at breakfast, 6 at lunch and 8 for dinner. I was almost always high. Once we started to zero in on it all and I got my head around dose adjustment and correction I got it such that I more or less sit around 5 or 6 except when I have eaten. Lunch always seems to cause me to spike to between 9 and 12 while other meals the insulin covers it perfectly and I am mostly flat.

For now, learn what you can, ask any questions that come to mind. We will usually try to help and remember we were all in your position once upon a time. A silly question is only silly if you dont know the answer and don't ask.

/A

Awww thank youuu! And yes I know you're right. It will take time.

Do you have many hypos or hypers?? Xxx

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to say hi! I was diagnosed in January so still relatively new and figuring it all out. I was like you at the start, I was (still am to a degree!) a self confessed fizzy drinking chocoholic who loved eveything carby! The first few weeks were tough, I ate as I always did and wondered why my blood was always high. I didn't join this forum until March so up until then was totally clueless, just being on here from the start will be awesome for you as everyone here really knows what they are talking about. It does get easier though, for weeks I had fab control, then it all got too much, I broke down and went on a carb hunting rampage! Suffering for it now but slowly getting back under control. Just keep doing what your doing, keep positive and ask as many questions as you need to and you will get there :)

Reactions: 3 people

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to say hi! I was diagnosed in January so still relatively new and figuring it all out. I was like you at the start, I was (still am to a degree!) a self confessed fizzy drinking chocoholic who loved eveything carby! The first few weeks were tough, I ate as I always did and wondered why my blood was always high. I didn't join this forum until March so up until then was totally clueless, just being on here from the start will be awesome for you as everyone here really knows what they are talking about. It does get easier though, for weeks I had fab control, then it all got too much, I broke down and went on a carb hunting rampage! Suffering for it now but slowly getting back under control. Just keep doing what your doing, keep positive and ask as many questions as you need to and you will get there :)

Aww thank you so much! It's so nice to hear from people who have only been diagnosed for a few months that are so up beat about things and positive. I just feel like crying all the time. It feels hard to cope sometimes, especially being a mum to my 2 year old daughter. Every time she's eating I'm craving her food! I'm so exhausted but don't have time to catch up on my sleep. I have a short fuse lately too and keep snapping. Is that to do with it too?? Xxx

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Zoe
late to the party as usual ( me) but a warm welcome to the forum :)

very early days young lady so most important is to take it 1 day at a time -- don't worry about getting the high readings -- keep talking to your DSN ( every day if you need to ) and do keep testing :cool:
something else is for these early weeks try and establish a routine and stick to it - it is a bit of a burden doing things the same every day but even this should help bring your numbers down and establish a pattern-- there is plenty of time to vary your lifestyle as you get more used to yourself.

glad to have you with us young lady !!!!

Aww thank you so much!!!

You're all so welcoming!! Xxx

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmmm stodgy food!!! You will get used to it!!
Only a suggestion based on the amounts of insulin you have been told to take and you do whatever suits you as we are all different
Breakfast 50g carbs
Lunch 40g of carbs
Dinner 40g of carbs
Those figures would work if 1 unit of insulin covers 10g of carbs. That is always a good starting point to work on and see how you go
Please do check BS often if you start to reduce your carb intake whilst on set doses of Insulin as too few carbs combined with too much insulin = Hypo

Thank you. I still don't fully understand all the carbs and grams etc. I've never followed stuff like that before so it's all new.

What did you eat for breakfast today?

I had two slices of wholemeal bread (toast) and a tea with no sugar. Xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Today I had shredded wheat
That was 37 g carbs including the milk so on my ratio I need 2 units of insulin for that
Yours would be around 15 grams per slice of toast plus about 2 or 3g in the milk in your tea xx

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I had shredded wheat
That was 37 g carbs including the milk so on my ratio I need 2 units of insulin for that
Yours would be around 15 grams per slice of toast plus about 2 or 3g in the milk in your tea xx

So my breakfast was quite bad then?? I don't eat eggs which is all my DSN keeps recommending. I feel so clueless lol xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
It wasn't bad at all. We can eat most things as long as we take insulin for it. Some people will say you must go really low carb, others are happy on medium amounts of carbs
Eggs are pretty much carb free and have very small effect on your Blood readings, that's why your dsn recommends them

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awww thank youuu! And yes I know you're right. It will take time.

Do you have many hypos or hypers?? Xxx
Definitely. We all get our number wrong some times or end up with unexpected physical exertion which can push your BG down.
Also forgetting to take a shot or sick days when your sugars will spike, sometimes quite impressively.

Perfection is a nice thing to aim for but my experience has been that it is mentally exhausting so I just do the best I can and if I have a slip one way or another then I deal with it and move on.

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It wasn't bad at all. We can eat most things as long as we take insulin for it. Some people will say you must go really low carb, others are happy on medium amounts of carbs
Eggs are pretty much carb free and have very small effect on your Blood readings, that's why your dsn recommends them

My DSN keeps reeling me off for what I eat. Opps! Haha xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
My DSN keeps reeling me off for what I eat. Opps! Haha xxx
Lol, they do that to us all
All any of us can do is the best we can, at least you are in the right place for a mountain of great info here as backup :)

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, they do that to us all
All any of us can do is the best we can, at least you are in the right place for a mountain of great info here as backup :)

Oh yes defo! You've helped me loads already. Thank you. xxx

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww thank you so much! It's so nice to hear from people who have only been diagnosed for a few months that are so up beat about things and positive. I just feel like crying all the time. It feels hard to cope sometimes, especially being a mum to my 2 year old daughter. Every time she's eating I'm craving her food! I'm so exhausted but don't have time to catch up on my sleep. I have a short fuse lately too and keep snapping. Is that to do with it too?? Xxx

Aww I'm single a mum to a little boy, he's 2 in 3 weeks. I also work 4 days and sometimes I just crawl into my bed as soon as doodles goes! It will also be your high blood wearing you down. Once you get things under control you'll find you have more energy (though probably not enough to keep up with a 2 year old haha) I struggled with meal times. I've always been very strict that he eats what I eat but recently I've been changing it because I still want him to get his carbs. It was really getting me down. The other night I felt so stupid as we had curry and he's sitting there eating away with rice and I had the curry with nothing else!! I thought I can't live like that so everything in moderation. He's 2 and as much as he eats like a pig he's still only small so last night I tried having a 2 year old size portion of pasta. Took the insulin to cover it and you know what, my blood survived!! So maybe it's not all about what you eat theres also an element of how much of it you eat. I don't want my boy growing up wondering why mummy can't have some of his birthday cake or why we don't go out for lunch anymore and have dessert. I am going to do all that and more with him and I'll figure out a way to make this stupid condition let me, it can do whatever it wants to my body but I will not let it affect my son and his life. It's hard juggling looking after a kid and trying to figure out what your doing but you will get there. If you have help with your daughter take it. When I was first diagnosed I was signed off work for 5 weeks. I was never all that big on leaving my boy as I felt working I hardly saw him so my days off should be spent with him, but when I was off work I didn't feel as guilty. I'd leave him and go out for nights out with my friends, I'd give him to a grandparent for a few hours so I could just tidy up and sit back and relax in peace. Use whatever support you have around you and I know being a mum your instincts are all about your little one but all they want is a happy healthy mum so take some time to yourself and you'll give them that xx

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww I'm single a mum to a little boy, he's 2 in 3 weeks. I also work 4 days and sometimes I just crawl into my bed as soon as doodles goes! It will also be your high blood wearing you down. Once you get things under control you'll find you have more energy (though probably not enough to keep up with a 2 year old haha) I struggled with meal times. I've always been very strict that he eats what I eat but recently I've been changing it because I still want him to get his carbs. It was really getting me down. The other night I felt so stupid as we had curry and he's sitting there eating away with rice and I had the curry with nothing else!! I thought I can't live like that so everything in moderation. He's 2 and as much as he eats like a pig he's still only small so last night I tried having a 2 year old size portion of pasta. Took the insulin to cover it and you know what, my blood survived!! So maybe it's not all about what you eat theres also an element of how much of it you eat. I don't want my boy growing up wondering why mummy can't have some of his birthday cake or why we don't go out for lunch anymore and have dessert. I am going to do all that and more with him and I'll figure out a way to make this stupid condition let me, it can do whatever it wants to my body but I will not let it affect my son and his life. It's hard juggling looking after a kid and trying to figure out what your doing but you will get there. If you have help with your daughter take it. When I was first diagnosed I was signed off work for 5 weeks. I was never all that big on leaving my boy as I felt working I hardly saw him so my days off should be spent with him, but when I was off work I didn't feel as guilty. I'd leave him and go out for nights out with my friends, I'd give him to a grandparent for a few hours so I could just tidy up and sit back and relax in peace. Use whatever support you have around you and I know being a mum your instincts are all about your little one but all they want is a happy healthy mum so take some time to yourself and you'll give them that xx

Thanks hun. It's nice to hear from someone in the same boat as me. I feel bad for being tired all the time when I'm hardly doing anything. I don't work, I'm a SAHM so why am I so tired? As for meals, we've always tried to give my daughter what we have but now my meals are changing its affecting my hubby and daughter. Hubby's more aware of what he has and doesn't want to eat in front of me. We have tried to change my diet and cut down the carbs but it's so hard as I love stodgy food. I never feel full otherwise. As for taking help, I feel rude to ask. People have done so much since I was in hospital with DKA. I don't want to take the mic! Xxx

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks hun. It's nice to hear from someone in the same boat as me. I feel bad for being tired all the time when I'm hardly doing anything. I don't work, I'm a SAHM so why am I so tired? As for meals, we've always tried to give my daughter what we have but now my meals are changing its affecting my hubby and daughter. Hubby's more aware of what he has and doesn't want to eat in front of me. We have tried to change my diet and cut down the carbs but it's so hard as I love stodgy food. I never feel full otherwise. As for taking help, I feel rude to ask. People have done so much since I was in hospital with DKA. I don't want to take the mic! Xxx

Haha are you crazy? SAHM is probably more tiring than working! Anytime I'm off I'm always glad to get back to work for a break! It's so hard to get started, your body is so used to using carbs as fuel that your crave them. Try just taking it one meal at a time. Don't think of it as your not allowed and you can't have, that will only drive you mad and make you want things more, I know I did. You can eat whatever you want, you just need to make sure you have the insulin to cover it. Its all about moderation (I know everyone is different and some will say you can't eat what you want). Ok it's probably a bit harder than that because I've found insulin injections aren't half as effective as my old dead pancreas was haha! I've started keeping a list (I'm list crazy, I need order and lists in my life!) Everytime I try a food I log it as good, do not eat or in moderation. If it spikes me (I test the same food a couple times) it goes on the do not eat, if it doesn't it goes on the good. Over time I hope I will have a pretty long list of good foods I can then pick and chose meals from. Your only new, don't try and change too much all at once, someone told me it's a journey not a sprint, it will take you time so don't beat yourself up. Please don't feel rude to ask for help. That's what your family are around you for and all you'll do is get ina vicious circle of trying to cope with everything on your own and ending up back in hospital and needing more help. They will understand you have a lot on xx

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Zoewilko, the snappy thing...yes diabetes affects our nerves, and thats one of the first things my wife noticed about me as i succumbed to t2 diabetes,since regaining control of my bs's ( now down in the 4.6= 5.5 normal levels at diagnosis i was 28.6 ) although t1's can cover their foods with insulin , i would still advise eating to a bs meter and lchf dieting, welcome to the best forum on the web ::))

Jess13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. At first you think it's no big deal, but it's a lot to think about. You can "turn it on" and "turn it off" as they say but you have to be careful and understand as much as you can. See a nutritionist they are the best. Your sugars are high and that can make you tired, grouchy, and go to the what do you guys say the 'jon' a lot. A lot of people count carbs etc., but I personally believe in the type of carb that you eat approach. Meaning it doesn't matter what you eat as long as it's a simple-chain carbohydrate, that means no table sugar, no flour, no starch. Fruits are a good snack. I used to count carbs when I first got it. Read labels carefully, and careful with sauces etc. when you eat out. And to get total control of your blood sugars you have to test yourself constantly everyday until you start to get a feel for what's right and the way you feel. I'm sorry, a lot of people don't understand anything about diabetes, but I hope in time you do and it does not affect you in any negative ways. Your on a strict regimen with the medicine because of the harmful side effects, i.e. hypoglycemia. Listen to your doctor's and be careful what you eat. I hope everything works out fine for you!

Pinkjessi21_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi! Im newly diagnosed type 1 too. Almost 4 weeks now. Im also 30. Im just getting the hang of things. Have you got the book/app carbs and cals? Really good for carb counting. My bg ranges from 4-12. Ive had a few hypos now but managed to sort myself out. My diabetic nurse says Im going through the 'honeymoon period' now.