Newly diagnosed type 1

Carey29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I got a blood test done which showed my blood sugar levels were high, they were 8.9 after fasting. My doctor sent me to the hospital as she suspected I was a type 1 diabetic, however I didn't think I was as I didn't actually have any symptoms. In the hospital the highest my blood sugar levels got to was 17.4 however I was just after having a bottle of lucozade. I was put on insulin injections following this however they had to keep decreasing the dosage of insulin as I was getting hypos a lot. They eventually took me off insulin completely and I still continued to get hypos which I found very strange. The antibodies test results came back yesterday and they confirmed it is type 1. My antibodies were over 2,000 but I am still not on insulin injections or any other medication as my blood sugar levels remain relatively normal. My question is has this happened to anyone else? The nurse said it is very unusual for my antibody levels to be over 2,000 and for my pancreas to be still producing insulin, has anyone else experienced this?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You are probably in the honeymoon period of LADA (late onset T1). This is quite common and it can take time for the pancreatic cells to fade. All you can do is monitor the blood sugar and increase medication as and when you start to need it.