Newly Diagnosed Type 2, falling down

Worthamfalls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Diagnosed a few weeks ago type 2 HBA1c was 71, initially out onto Metformin 500mg wishing 5 days I was in extreme pain in my stomach Along with toilet issues (as many folks have described on here), doc put me onto slow release metformin 500mg and now up to twice a day with no side effects.

I have recently when walking outside on flat ground experienced a fall most of the time I have managed to stop myself from properly hitting the ground.....until this morning on my way to work, fell down (ground was even) but I have badly taken a chunk of skin off my big toe and knee is bad too.

I wanted to know if this could be a side effect if metformin or in any way related to type2 diabetes, must admit this has me freaked out a little.

Heading to see the nurse at my surgery to have my toe washed out may need steri strip.

I was wearing sensible low wedge footwear that is open toed.

Would love to hear from anyone!

Thanks

Reactions: MargaretR

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I can't help, but it is something you need to have investigated by a doctor. Did you mention it to your nurse?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Worthamfalls - are you on any other medication like for blood pressure? Have you made any dietary changes? Dizziness can be very common if your BP is changing and you're on medication that lowers it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
During the time I was taking ordinary Metformin and a statin I used walking poles whenever I went out as I would find my legs giving way beneath me. That time is not very clear in my memory, but my muscles and joints were so painful. Now when I stand up I pause, testing my balance and taking the first step hesitantly, even though the pain is gone I have become fearful of taking the first step and have my chair near a piece of furniture I can lean on to get to the door.
I still use the poles when I go out to take a brisk walk, as I walk far faster with them, confident of not falling on the rather uneven pavements in this area. I do go out without them from time to time, but I am much slower when I do.

Worthamfalls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your responses and Ajax this is exactly what happened no dizziness et., one minute I am walking fine next flat out. I am seeing my doc next week as I am on BP meds too (apologies forgot to mention) just been reduced from 10mg slow release felodapine to 5mg as the swelling was unbearable and on candastartin which she wants to increase but waiting for results from blood tests for kidneys to make sure they can cope with an increase in candastartin.

It is very overwhelming I have put myself on a verily low carb diet as my carbs previously eaten were because I run and do 10k to half marathons. The past year iv struggled with my running and have put on weight along with having to stop due to either vision going blurry or intense feelings of sickness.

This is a fantastic site for information as not much coming from my D. Doc or nurse, I also purchased a meter so I could take my readings to be sure I am doing the right thing food wise, I was discouraged to use it as I was advised the metformin will level out my blood sugars.

I think I will go ahead and start doing this next week and keep a record as I am not due an HB1Ac check till end of Oct.

Appreciate the replies, did not think that my fall could possibly be related to my BP meds.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Are you on Ramipril for BP? If so then that stuff made me very ill with all kinds of side effects - common ones are:
  • dizziness or faintness due to low blood pressure.
  • cough.
  • dizziness.
  • chest pain.
  • nausea.
  • vomiting.
  • diarrhea.
  • weakness or tiredness.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I will go ahead and start doing this next week and keep a record as I am not due an HB1Ac check till end of Oct.

May I ask why wait till next week? No time like the present, and the sooner the better!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi,

Diagnosed a few weeks ago type 2 HBA1c was 71, initially out onto Metformin 500mg wishing 5 days I was in extreme pain in my stomach Along with toilet issues (as many folks have described on here), doc put me onto slow release metformin 500mg and now up to twice a day with no side effects.

I have recently when walking outside on flat ground experienced a fall most of the time I have managed to stop myself from properly hitting the ground.....until this morning on my way to work, fell down (ground was even) but I have badly taken a chunk of skin off my big toe and knee is bad too.

I wanted to know if this could be a side effect if metformin or in any way related to type2 diabetes, must admit this has me freaked out a little.

Heading to see the nurse at my surgery to have my toe washed out may need steri strip.

Thanks
This falling may be a symptom of something more serious and will need to be reviewed. Don't take chances with things like this.

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you on Ramipril for BP? If so then that stuff made me very ill with all kinds of side effects - common ones are:
  • dizziness or faintness due to low blood pressure.
  • cough.
  • dizziness.
  • chest pain.
  • nausea.
  • vomiting.
  • diarrhea.
  • weakness or tiredness.

Would point out that ramipril is not nly used to control BP. Particularly in diabetics it can be used for its kidney protective effects as it is with me.

S

Sean01

Hi,

Thanks
Hi @Worthamfalls . Finally - someone else who is taking metformin time release! I thought I was the only one

It seems that many people have tummy issues with met and then get switched to something else. I was started on met but the nurse didn't like my eating habits (6-7 small meals a day due to the exercise) so switched me on to 1 x 1000 mg time release.

It works for me.

I do get woozy/wobbly but never put it down to medication. (I have other long term conditions.) I train hard (strong man stuff 4-5 days a week and walk on a treadmill at least once a day as well. Sometimes, its like the tendons just go and I start to fall, other times, no reason, I can just trip up - even standing still - or at least that's how it feels.

Good to meet you - hope to bump into you again here - it is very friendly.

Sean

Worthamfalls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Worthamfalls . Finally - someone else who is taking metformin time release! I thought I was the only one

It seems that many people have tummy issues with met and then get switched to something else. I was started on met but the nurse didn't like my eating habits (6-7 small meals a day due to the exercise) so switched me on to 1 x 1000 mg time release.

It works for me.

I do get woozy/wobbly but never put it down to medication. (I have other long term conditions.) I train hard (strong man stuff 4-5 days a week and walk on a treadmill at least once a day as well. Sometimes, its like the tendons just go and I start to fall, other times, no reason, I can just trip up - even standing still - or at least that's how it feels.

Good to meet you - hope to bump into you again here - it is very friendly.

Sean

Hi Sean, you are describing exactly how I fall I know I shouldn't laugh.......but lol

It can also happen when standing just talking to a colleague and I feel myself almost go and have to rebalance myself....if only I had a pound for every time a colleague has said to me 'but early to he drinking' haha.

Very happy to hear you are still exercising as this has for now stopped me running outside, I still do x-training at the gym but love to run outside and with the weather changing soon it's a little depressing to say the least.

The other thing my friends noticed since taking the slow release is that my skin looks like iv just come out of a mega session on the sunbed.

Great to hear from you too. I am learning more from the site than my own GP or DN.

S

Sean01

Hi @Worthamfalls - It's good to laugh.

I noticed you're from Aberdeen - I've visited many times. Some of my best week ends have started with ' and then I got out at Aberdeen Airport' I mostly use a treadmill, where I can guarantee the quality and flatness of the surface I walk on and there are bars to grab when I fall.

I often watch sword and sandal films on a dvd player (I have my own home gym). I can get very absorbed in these films so occasionally I will fall off the treadmill whilst dodging a swipe of a sword or an axe blow to the head. Watching Spartacus or Game of Thrones is like a full body work out!!!

Favourite walk - up your part of the world. I did the Loch Ness marathon in 2012 - best walk ever - ended up in Inverness. That was planned - I didn't get lost - there were arrows.

Sean