Newly Diagnosed Type 2 with Depression

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi All,
I was diagnosed Type 2 two weeks ago. GP wasn't very good at explaining things - said very little in fact. But I think that's because he expected me to know already as used to be a nurse, but a long time ago. But i must admit I didn't ask anything either as couldn't get my head around it during consultation. So been relying on this website to fill in the details.

Been a depressive probably most of my life but only officially diagnosed twelve years ago. So finding this really hard to deal with. Also in the middle of changing my Psyc med's so that's not helping. Really confused on how my body's feeling physically, can't decide if it's my depression and change in med's or the Diabetes and Metformin I've been put on. Or menopause as its that time of life, or the sleep Apnoea my GP is now convinced I have as I spend most of my life feeling exhausted and therefore sleeping. So gone against my GP's advise (re-not testing) and I'm testing blood sugars to try and figure it out.

If anyone has any advise I'd appreciate it, feeling very isolated this end.
Maggie/Magpie

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No good at this technology, just read what i wrote for post title, it's not right at all WOOP'S!
I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic Type 2 who also has depression. Now can't work out how to change the title - Dont even know if it's even possible. So now not expecting any response from any of you oh well i tried.

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Read all you can on this web site about T2, But don't expect to take it in first time. Ask questions and re read the things you are not sure about, I'm sure some body will Tag @daisy1 in on a post as she has a lot of useful info for new people and i can't seem to tag her.
You are not the first person to feel over whelmed most of us did. You are not alone,

Reactions: Prem51

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there and welcome to the forum. You will certainly be noticed and no worries about you thread title. You have already done the two most important things to get control of diabetes. You have a meter and are testing and you have found us :). Daisy1 has been tagged and she will post an information packet once she gets the tag. There is a lot of very good information in her post about diabetes and diet and how to use diet and your meter to get control. A lot of people on this site use a low carb and higher fat way of eating which will help control blood sugar and also help you lose weight if you need to. In the meantime read through threads and soak it all in. It takes a bit of time to wrap your head around it all but you will get there.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Read all you can on this web site about T2, But don't expect to take it in first time. Ask questions and re read the things you are not sure about, I'm sure some body will Tag @daisy1 in on a post as she has a lot of useful info for new people and i can't seem to tag her.
You are not the first person to feel over whelmed most of us did. You are not alone,
Thank you, it's good to know it's not just me.
I've read most of the info every day but your right, it dosn't seem to sink in so will continue to do so until it does. I have my first appointment Tuesday with diabetic nurse so making a list of questions as I think of them. Hopefully they will be easier to talk to than the GP.

Reactions: Prem51 and hankjam

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, it's good to know it's not just me.
I've read most of the info every day but your right, it dosn't seem to sink in so will continue to do so until it does. I have my first appointment Tuesday with diabetic nurse so making a list of questions as I think of them. Hopefully they will be easier to talk to than the GP.
When you ask your questions make sure you ask the nurse to explain her answers if you are not sure what she means. Remember there are no silly questions, you can always start a new thread in newly diagnosed or type 2 diabetes, This forum really helped me, and still does when i feel down, or think about trying to drown diabetes in Guinness.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi there and welcome to the forum. You will certainly be noticed and no worries about you thread title. You have already done the two most important things to get control of diabetes. You have a meter and are testing and you have found us :). Daisy1 has been tagged and she will post an information packet once she gets the tag. There is a lot of very good information in her post about diabetes and diet and how to use diet and your meter to get control. A lot of people on this site use a low carb and higher fat way of eating which will help control blood sugar and also help you lose weight if you need to. In the meantime read through threads and soak it all in. It takes a bit of time to wrap your head around it all but you will get there.
Thank you -love the cute Kitty picture!
I've had mixed views about the low carb diet, don't know what to think about it, got too much else going on to get my head around but I've certainly not ruled it out, as people on this site seem to be having amazing results. I do need to loose a lot of weight as always been big so it might be a good thing to do and one I haven't tried before concentrating on getting portion sizes right and what to eat/not eat now.

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When you ask your questions make sure you ask the nurse to explain her answers if you are not sure what she means. Remember there are no silly questions, you can always start a new thread in newly diagnosed or type 2 diabetes, This forum really helped me, and still does when i feel down, or think about trying to drown diabetes in Guinness.
Ok will do.
I don't know what your on if anything but do you ever want to not take your medication for diabetes?

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok will do.
I don't know what your on if anything but do you ever want to not take your medication for diabetes?
I was diagnosed in Feb, totally ignored everything i was told, went for my HBA1C blood test in May after i had drunk to much and started hyperventilating, The result was worse and the nurse wanted to start me on Metformin, I refused the medication and started the low carb diet, also joined the gym, and started testing my blood sugars before and 2 hours after meals. I have lost a lot of weight and reduced my blood sugar, I go for the results of my last test Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Maggie/Magpie - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :). Have a good read of the basic information when daisy1 posts it. And Don't be afraid to ask questions - you will probably get several replies.
@tim32 - Well Done You successfully tagged Diasy1 :).

Reactions: tim32

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was diagnosed in Feb, totally ignored everything i was told, went for my HBA1C blood test in May after i had drunk to much and started hyperventilating, The result was worse and the nurse wanted to start me on Metformin, I refused the medication and started the low carb diet, also joined the gym, and started testing my blood sugars before and 2 hours after meals. I have lost a lot of weight and reduced my blood sugar, I go for the results of my last test Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
Good luck for Tuesday, If you can let me know how you get on I'll be interested to hear if the low carb diet has helped as I'm seriously considering giving it a try.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Maggie/Magpie - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :). Have a good read of the basic information when daisy1 posts it. And Don't be afraid to ask questions - you will probably get several replies.
@tim32 - Well Done You successfully tagged Diasy1 :).
Hi, thank you, I will probably read it more than once truth be told. I will be grateful of all replies from questions as this is all getting rather scary now! Some how writing here is making the reality of it all sink in.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
I was diagnosed Type 2 two weeks ago. GP wasn't very good at explaining things - said very little in fact. But I think that's because he expected me to know already as used to be a nurse, but a long time ago. But i must admit I didn't ask anything either as couldn't get my head around it during consultation. So been relying on this website to fill in the details.

Been a depressive probably most of my life but only officially diagnosed twelve years ago. So finding this really hard to deal with. Also in the middle of changing my Psyc med's so that's not helping. Really confused on how my body's feeling physically, can't decide if it's my depression and change in med's or the Diabetes and Metformin I've been put on. Or menopause as its that time of life, or the sleep Apnoea my GP is now convinced I have as I spend most of my life feeling exhausted and therefore sleeping. So gone against my GP's advise (re-not testing) and I'm testing blood sugars to try and figure it out.

If anyone has any advise I'd appreciate it, feeling very isolated this end.
Maggie/Magpie

welcome here Maggie... sad you´re depressed. I am very othen too for very long periods..it is difficult when the very same part of oneself that you need to take up the challenges of life , is the part of oneself that is in fact ill or working in a very low energy state...
it is first of all a gigantic chock to get the diagnosis diabetes..!!!!!!!!!!

What is very important not to attribute to ones depression is to give up any kind of perfectionism, and ones ideas that life needs to be in certain ways before it is good... sometimes depressions come out of the blue, but many times they are created from ones negative identity created in ones childhood...or from trauma and from loss of loved ones and grief...
Sometimes it is ones thinking patterns that all the time like a magnet cirkles around finding negative labelling describtions of what is wrong, instead of focusing on and looking for what works and what is good..
To get diabetes having a depression already is very overwhelming and can usually not be seen in a good light or as some gift in any ways.

If I should say something possitive about getting diabetes ... from my perspective right now, it is that it has made me change my lifestyle radically and gotten me into loosing my extreme overweight and maybe even saved me from just sitting in my sofa becomming an invalide ... I was so fat I couldn´t hardly dry myself in my behind when at the loo. and if I hadn´t gotten a scary really scary diagnosis I maybe wouldn´t have done anything, just sat there and felt pitty for myself and hating how fat I was... and that is only about 4 months ago... so some good can come out of diabetes..
I also found out that it is actually the carbs that made me fat , and that excluding carbs in general actually makes it possible to loose much easier than I would have thought...

now I don´t know what your kind of problems around your diabetes is but you can always ask here in this forum, there are so many daily-life Experts in al aspects of diabetes here, and also some very sharp ones in theory and more complicated matters , and so many helpful people around you here
Love from Frema <3

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No good at this technology, just read what i wrote for post title, it's not right at all WOOP'S!
I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic Type 2 who also has depression. Now can't work out how to change the title - Dont even know if it's even possible. So now not expecting any response from any of you oh well i tried.

you can edit what you already have written if you push the edit button right under what you have been writing ...

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi, thank you, I will probably read it more than once truth be told. I will be grateful of all replies from questions as this is all getting rather scary now! Some how writing here is making the reality of it all sink in.

Hi :). Just take one day at a time and don't 'overload' your mind. As a suggestion it is useful to write things down in an Exercise Book/Note Pad. (I continue to do this after many years of having Diabetes)

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck for Tuesday, If you can let me know how you get on I'll be interested to hear if the low carb diet has helped as I'm seriously considering giving it a try.
I will let you know, Don't start getting to scared, I have a saying "Don't let your bucket get full" in other words don't try to learn everything in one go. Take your time, It gets easier, we all have bad days and we all are still learning.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Maggie/Magpie
I would suggest you ask the nurse for your test results if you don't know them already.
It's great that you are testing as that will help you to find what works for you. Also it's a great encouragement when you start to see the number go down. Don't expect too much too soon as it will take time. People on here will be very willing to give you ideas on what has worked for them.