BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi All,
I was diagnosed Type 2 two weeks ago. GP wasn't very good at explaining things - said very little in fact. But I think that's because he expected me to know already as used to be a nurse, but a long time ago. But i must admit I didn't ask anything either as couldn't get my head around it during consultation. So been relying on this website to fill in the details.

Been a depressive probably most of my life but only officially diagnosed twelve years ago. So finding this really hard to deal with. Also in the middle of changing my Psyc med's so that's not helping. Really confused on how my body's feeling physically, can't decide if it's my depression and change in med's or the Diabetes and Metformin I've been put on. Or menopause as its that time of life, or the sleep Apnoea my GP is now convinced I have as I spend most of my life feeling exhausted and therefore sleeping. So gone against my GP's advise (re-not testing) and I'm testing blood sugars to try and figure it out.

If anyone has any advise I'd appreciate it, feeling very isolated this end.
Maggie/Magpie
Copy all the above and some. 30 years depression, 12 ECTs, strait jacket, sectioned, months in mental hospital, every psychiatric drug you can name, alcoholism. Yet I have got through it and achieved a lot. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies, I was on a destructive spiral and I think ECT was part of the solution although I can't remember a lot of what went on. I am still anxious and depressed, but 2xcancer, sleep apnoea and diabetes 2 are not the biggest things I have had to deal with. Fight back, take all the help you can get and you will have a good life. Only contented people are happy, so accept what you have as well.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Copy all the above and some. 30 years depression, 12 ECTs, strait jacket, sectioned, months in mental hospital, every psychiatric drug you can name, alcoholism. Yet I have got through it and achieved a lot. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies, I was on a destructive spiral and I think ECT was part of the solution although I can't remember a lot of what went on. I am still anxious and depressed, but 2xcancer, sleep apnoea and diabetes 2 are not the biggest things I have had to deal with. Fight back, take all the help you can get and you will have a good life. Only contented people are happy, so accept what you have as well.

Well done for getting through so much. Sorry to hear your still depressed though. I'am a stubborn fighter why do you think I'm still here today? It would of been so much easier to give up a long time ago but I have my children to think of, they are my safety factor. I have accepted some things I can't do anything about but I'm in turmoil over others.
Glad you have found such a strong philosophy to help you.
Maggie

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The modern machines are very quiet, and the mask only goes over your nose, and is on elastic straps with Velcro fastenings, so if you did feel you needed to take it off it is not difficult to do so. I found it very easy to get used to even with the older one I had, but the equipment has improved a great deal with better masks and the smaller quieter machines. I did ask to be shown how to adjust my machine so I could increase or reduce the pressure - I found that in the winter in particular some nights I felt that it was pushing cold air into me too hard, or when I had a cold it was not strong enough to allow me to breathe properly.

Thank you for the reassurance and the tips. Still awaiting my appointment, apparently there's a 16 week wait just to be seen here.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi All,
I created a new post UPDATE: Newly diagnosed type 2 with depression just to update you all on my progress.
This is just incase anyone following this post hasn't seen it.
Diabetes is improoving HAbc1 now 40 from 53, weight loss since october 1 stone 9 lbs on low carb high fat diet.
Mental health not so good.
For more info see new post.
Thanks
Maggie

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Maggie/Magpie
You have done so well with your control of diabetes both HbA1c and weight loss. Hopefully this will encourage you to keep going and see some positives.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Maggie/Magpie
You have done so well with your control of diabetes both HbA1c and weight loss. Hopefully this will encourage you to keep going and see some positives.

I'am trying but everything just feels so negative all the time. but by controlling the diabetes I'm hoping that will eventually sink in as a positive.
Maggie

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Maggie, well done on your results so far. Perhaps if you focus on the diabetes, finding new recipes for treats, working out different exercises and different walk routes you will find that on reflection the depression is getting better. The other thing I have done is make myself a list of things I want to try from raising money for charity to beachcombing, individual targets and some to try with friends. Choosing which I am going to try next gives me something to look forward to and a sense of achievement when I have done it. New year is a good time to draw up a list of things to do this year.

Reactions: Maggie/Magpie