muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Grungysquash

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your positive and proactive approach. You should have a look at the Newcastle Diet and "the 8 - week blood sugar diet" by Dr Michael Mosley. It may or may not be right for you but I and others on here have completed these diets with some amazing results including returning to normal range BG levels, stopping medications and weight loss.

This is a great Forum as I'm sure you are already seeing and I have had great support and I have learnt more about Type 2 in 2 months here than in the previous 2 years

Reactions: 2 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Well I just had a diet fail - movies and icecream - curse u chock top. Went from 6.5 - 11.2.

Still it was deadpool with my daughter so I'll need to go for an extra run to fix this.

Some ice creams are much worse than others --- but any type of wafer biscuit is a must avoid,

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well after doing a bit of exercise I've discovered - shock horror that I'm bloody unfit.

I'm sure 25 years ago I could run 12km without any problems hell used to go out for a big night and run to collect the car in the morning. Now 4km and I'm ******** - and I thought I was in reasonable shape.

Well it's week 4 BG now low of 6.3 this evening before dinner - 6.7 after dinner and run. Wonder what the morning will bring.

As a side note I've consoled myself by buying a BMW s1000rr - so hopefully the fitness will help me ride better also!

Reactions: 6 people

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I'm getting there - new low reading tonight before dinner of 5.9 first time I've cracked less than 6.

But it's not easy - sub salads for lunch and chicken and salad for dinner - no dressing on either salad of course.

So I'll go for another run tonight after dinner has time to digest a bit. Happy with my progress just can't slip up - so bloody tempting to slip up!!!

Reactions: 8 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To make your diet long term and sustainable you need to add some interesting tasty stuff, or you will be for ever tempted to have 'old favourites'. Start off at least with some salad dressing, anything made with olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice is fine, ring the changes with different herbs or garlic, I like chilli infused olive oil.

If you are a fan of pizza this one is just brilliant.

http://yourlighterside.com/2012/02/easy-pizza-crust/

Tim Noakes website Green list is a brilliant visual image of 'legal' foods that will likely have very little impact on your bg. It's s not specifically a 'diabetic site' but an excellent resource for low carb living. I am planning to buy his book, 'The Real Meal Revolution' when I see it in the UK.

http://realmealrevolution.com/real-food-lists#green

If you constantly eat boring, un-satisfying food the temptation to stray will be there, if you make your food just as good as it was before, but different, it will be easy to stick with it.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Celebrated with a couple of glasses of red wine - really only 2 glasses bottle still half full!!

Harder with the kids - cooking for them and then something else for me - no mashed spud or rice with chicken.

Wife's travelling for work - we both travel a bit - which is good and bad. Still considering what this is I'm grateful that I found out when I did and not when excessive damage to organs had occurred.

Oh and got lazy skipped the run - bloody wine interfered with good intentions!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Depending how old your kids are, if you investigate alternatives to your traditional food, cauliflower rice, made properly, is, I think, more delicious than real rice, thinly sliced white cabbage makes a good substitute for pasta or noodles, mashed cauliflower with seriously strong cheddar spread mashed into it and grated cheese melted on top makes a lovely alternative to mash. You don't want kids going really really low carb but keeping fruit in their diet takes care of that. We entertain quite a lot and I always felt obliged to cook a high carb accompaniement at every meal, but now I don't, because all our friends have discovered that they like our food anyway, and when we're invited for dinner, it's the norm now that we take a dish of veggies of some description, low carb but filling.

You are doing really well, it's all a learning curve but I think it's important you actually enjoy the food you are eating.

witchfire

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well bit of a wake up call 47yo male was in the USA on holiday had a blood nose incident - doctor checked my blood pressure which was high told me to get it checked when I returned.

Went to doctor - result fasting test of 17.3. Only got the results about 1 week ago. While I was there he gave me a random test - was 24.6. In my defense I did have a big bowl of cocopops for breakfast.

Run forward 1 week - have brought a tester - and changed my diet. Right now its 9.3 - averaging about 11 - really trying to bring this down. Have started running again.

How quickly can u get the sugar levels to get below 10. This is my first target - then 5.
Hi ,i am recently diagnose too was 19 then i cut all actual sugars and check all foods for sugar content (suprising how they are ) i have had some amazing meals all natural ingredients down to 6.3 spikes now and again but persevering .
It will improve and look at forum posts everybody here so helpful Good luck .Glyn

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Tim Noakes website Green list is a brilliant visual image of 'legal' foods that will likely have very little impact on your bg. It's s not specifically a 'diabetic site' but an excellent resource for low carb living. I am planning to buy his book, 'The Real Meal Revolution' when I see it in the UK.
http://realmealrevolution.com/real-food-lists#green
I just bought it for a £10 from 'well known on line auction site'..;)...it was several pounds cheaper than those in 'shop that carries same name with South-American river'

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I thought I would try some chips - found the lowest carbohydrate ones I could see - @ 43gms per 100gms - just to see what it would do.

So went from 6.7 to 10.3 after 1 hours only had about 100gms or half a packet. My daughter stole the rest which was probably not a bad thing.

So I've learnt - salt and vinegar chips - only in tiny amounts!!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So I thought I would try some chips - found the lowest carbohydrate ones I could see - @ 43gms per 100gms - just to see what it would do.

So went from 6.7 to 10.3 after 1 hours only had about 100gms or half a packet. My daughter stole the rest which was probably not a bad thing.

So I've learnt - salt and vinegar chips - only in tiny amounts!!
Did you test after 2 hours because even non-diabetics would spike 1 hour after eating chips but be back to normal after 2

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No didn't retest - was over an hour by maybe 20min - but still figured a spike over 10 is best to be avoided - so stir fry for dinner let it settle back down

Also managed to get a new low of 5.3 - yesterday after work - seem to be mainly around 6 - 7. Have pretty much stuck to no carbs - only added when checking on spikes - have found a subway wrap is OK - not spiking on the wrap which is good.

Just rechecked now - back to 6.1so 10.4 at 4.30pm after salt and vinegar - now 7.48pm back to 6.1 which is pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Responses to various breads seem to be an individual thing, in moderation flat breads generally don't seem to cause me much of a rise.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Same here in flat bread - noticed the subway chicken teriyaki without the sweet onion sauce seems to be tolerated without spiking my BG - so that's good.

Also Bourbon and coke 0 seems ok - just don't tell the wife!!

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hmmmmm - seem to be hovering around the 6 - 8 mark still. Am retrying a local pizza - he uses a different base sooo. I'll know in 2 hours time.

Also noticed that my BG rises when I'm not eating which seems weird.

Mick1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After 6. Months of tight control, I now find I can cope with most things . However, pizza and baked beans on toast blow me high for 48 hours.... Good job I don't share your obvious passion for pizza but the beans on toast is a bummer for me

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hmmmmm - seem to be hovering around the 6 - 8 mark still. Am retrying a local pizza - he uses a different base sooo. I'll know in 2 hours time.

Also noticed that my BG rises when I'm not eating which seems weird.
Hi enjoy your pizza:hungry:

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yep - had a small Pizza - didn't eat the crust - actually I never eat the crust so no change on that front.

Found my BG seemed to manage this base ok. Didn't check after 2 hours but was around 7 in the morning and 6.3 in the afternoon. So I can't have blown that high.

Seems like a perfect excuse for a second crack!! Otherwise sticking to diet - limited carbs and no sugar.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
However really watch the toppings they can have loads of hidden carbs. Also beware there will be a threshold effect your body will only able to release enough insulin to cope with X ammount of carbs in a given time span as the carbs in breads can be slow to breakdown into sugars you could find you reach a maxium 3+ hours after the meal,