Newly Diagnosed type 2

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - just thought I'd update you all. So now it's been about 6 or maybe 8 weeks since I found out I was a type 2 - and hit a DG of 25.

Well now I'm holding steady at between 5.3 - 8 depending on testing and eating.

Hardest part has been ignoring all the sweets I would have eaten with joy in the past. Diet is holding I'm eating a few but very few carbs. Potatoes has been the hardest - love my spuds but they don't love me back. Found some sweet potato crisps which I eat every now and again. Still prefer the good old salt and vinegar but what can you do.

I've lost about 10kg so far now around 103kg - waist size also shrunk, into 96cm waist.

After I brought my new super fast motorbike I managed to get pinged for excessive speed. So forced exercise with a new push bike and 30km round trip to work starting soon. They say evey cloud has a silver lining!!

Still on meatiform 1000mg but with continued focus on diet and now enforcement of exercise I'll see further reductions in weight and possibly better control.

So thanks for the forum its helped keep me focused on my goal to reverse this disease.

I really like the texture and saltiness of crisps, the closest healthy alternative I have found is fresh kale, thin spray of olive oil added, plus some herbs or spices to taste , baked in the oven at around 60 degres until really crisp ( 3hours =)

One large bag of kale makes around 100g of kale crisps, about 10g makes a satisfying bowlful to pick on as a snack

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well it's now official - I'm now formally known as a type 2 diabetic.

Long term Hba1c (over 12 months 5.7, 5.6, 5.7) all other tests normal - fasting 5.2.

Dr has advised I can stop medication but will need to continue to watch my weight - currently holding at 97 - I put on 2kg over summer but am back to riding my pushbike to work so will continue with the Metaform maybe this will help in getting the 2 or 3 Kg lost again.

I'll try to hold 95kg so there is hope just lose the weight that's the key and reduce all carbs + sugar.

My first Hba1c test was 11.6 2 years ago, dropped this to 5.7 and have held it here for around 18 months

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Grungysquash ..
I think that you might do well to re-focus your LCHF strategy. I suggest that you read up on the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

My LCHF lifestyle is based upon 16:8 IF (intermittent fasting) which means that I only eat between 11.00am and 7.00pm and I follow three simple "rules" ..
# Only eat real food
# Only eat when hungry
# Stop eating when full

Hope this helps

Reactions: 1spuds and Prem51

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Haha - nope I'll stick to low carb and keep a close eye on sugar - dropping back will only mean reoccurring when the weight goes back on.

The key to reversing this is simply weight loss, removal of sugar and carbs helps this quicker.

My love of burgers and fries had to be eliminated, I'll still have one on occasion but I'll only eat half the bread, yea I'll still eat the chips.

But I'll also exercise I get my heart rate average to about 155 for two 40 sessions each day cycling to work with a rest day inbetween. When traveling for work I now visit the hotel gym, not just the bar.

I've lost about 20kg I was around 115 - 120kg now 95 - 98 depending on what time of day it is. Waist is now about 34 - 36, used to be 38 - 40.

Never considered myself in the past to be that fat but photo evidence proved me wrong!!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Prem51

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Haha - nope I'll stick to low carb and keep a close eye on sugar - dropping back will only mean reoccurring when the weight goes back on.

The key to reversing this is simply weight loss, removal of sugar and carbs helps this quicker.

My love of burgers and fries had to be eliminated, I'll still have one on occasion but I'll only eat half the bread, yea I'll still eat the chips.

But I'll also exercise I get my heart rate average to about 155 for two 40 sessions each day cycling to work with a rest day inbetween. When traveling for work I now visit the hotel gym, not just the bar.

I've lost about 20kg I was around 115 - 120kg now 95 - 98 depending on what time of day it is. Waist is now about 34 - 36, used to be 38 - 40.

Never considered myself in the past to be that fat but photo evidence proved me wrong!!

Good luck. I hope you can get the levels and weight down and still enjoy some chips. I am not understanding why your beloved burgers had to go (the buns yeah). One wee cheeky point I'd like to make in response to you comment - "the key to reversing this is simply weight loss" - My diabetes has no connection whatsoever to my weight and losing weight would make no difference for me personally other than to leave me underweight..but still with Type 2...but I it may seem to be the key for yourself, I would say the key is the carbs. I also do not ever expect to reverse is in a way that allows me to ignore whatever I eat in terms of carbohydrates...I aim to stay in control if it for as long as it takes. Still...reversed would be nice. I hope you manage it.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good luck. I hope you can get the levels and weight down and still enjoy some chips. I am not understanding why your beloved burgers had to go (the buns yeah). One wee cheeky point I'd like to make in response to you comment - "the key to reversing this is simply weight loss" - My diabetes has no connection whatsoever to my weight and losing weight would make no difference for me personally other than to leave me underweight..but still with Type 2...but I it may seem to be the key for yourself, I would say the key is the carbs. I also do not ever expect to reverse is in a way that allows me to ignore whatever I eat in terms of carbohydrates...I aim to stay in control if it for as long as it takes. Still...reversed would be nice. I hope you manage it.
Good point not cheeky but true, I generalised which is really only relevant to type 2 overweight derived, and hopefully not had for long enough to damage your cells. I've been lucky, firstly I have the desire to fix this, and hopefully I've not damaged my insulin production going forward.

The main problem with burgers is the weight gain & the buns, I used to eat Fast food more regularly.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I'm no longer taking medication - weight holding at 95 or 97 depending on when u have a pee - but have been off medication now for about 3 months getting ready for next round of tests - placed on extra weight at Christmas so started running 5km every morning during the week - I've excluded weekends and public holidays! Anyway 1 month in and so far not missed a day will be interesting to see if I'm holding my levels.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can’t wait to hear your new results
Ok so lastest round of blood tests in April were fine, blood sugar in the normal range for long term slightly high on the day which surprised me because I ran in the morning and fasted the night before so....no ongoing medication.

Now I'm still running now down to 25.40 sec for 5km so not super quick infact I'd like to break 25min for 5km which I'm close but not quite there yet.

I see this as a long term problem, there is no quick fix. Yes I'm lucky I have managed to get out cycling and running.

I'm not young about to hit 50 this year, I was not skinny at around 120kg when diagnosed. But I have the desire to want to keep this under control, maybe it will only last another 5 years, but every year I keep medication at bay is a good year.

So let's all stay positive, not everyone has the ability like me to run or cycle. Focus on what has already been recommended, low carbs, lose weight by whatever way u can.

And never think your to large, unfit or unworthy of getting better. Focus on you, plan to work on yourself, go for a walk, get out of the house and live life.

Reactions: 1spuds and Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so lastest round of blood tests in April were fine, blood sugar in the normal range for long term slightly high on the day which surprised me because I ran in the morning and fasted the night before so....no ongoing medication.

Now I'm still running now down to 25.40 sec for 5km so not super quick infact I'd like to break 25min for 5km which I'm close but not quite there yet.

I see this as a long term problem, there is no quick fix. Yes I'm lucky I have managed to get out cycling and running.

I'm not young about to hit 50 this year, I was not skinny at around 120kg when diagnosed. But I have the desire to want to keep this under control, maybe it will only last another 5 years, but every year I keep medication at bay is a good year.

So let's all stay positive, not everyone has the ability like me to run or cycle. Focus on what has already been recommended, low carbs, lose weight by whatever way u can.

And never think your to large, unfit or unworthy of getting better. Focus on you, plan to work on yourself, go for a walk, get out of the house and live life.
Great news well done indeed.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok so moving forward and continuing the trend I'm still off all medication, and now I've broken 25 Mon for 5km PB now at 24.32 - next step is to break 24 - see how quick an old bloke can go from a couch and type 2 to fit, healthy and maybe a 1/2 marathon.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all - update May 2019 - 3 years after being diagnosed with type 2 - well I've now signed up for my first half marathon have been training, am targeting under 2 hours which I think fingers crossed I should be ok with, did a long training run today 19km in 1.46.40 so on target for under 2 hours.

Blood sugar is still under control, still off all medications, last round had me at 6 - which is a tad higher than the 5.9 from the last round so I've doubled down with running, and fitness.

I kinda wish I was fat! And non diabetic - but I guess the other benefits like heart health and now I'm 50 kinda seem more important. To make sure I'm around for my daughter's!

Personally this disease is one which is a life time resolution - I'm never cured, just in control and requires constant review and focus.

Grungysquash

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So completed the half, managed it in 1.57:17 so first goal achieved.

What I learnt was 21km is further than u think, I probably went to quick from 5km to 10km hit a wall at around 17km and had a bridge climb to complete.

I've taken off the last 3 weeks only run once a week just a 7odd km slow run.

But tomorrow I'll do a longer run maybe 15km - or maybe not!! Always keen when your contemplating exercise, different in the cold hard light of the morning.

So everyone, get out there walk, cycle, cross train, I'm still off all meds, not sure how long it will last but I'll keep moving so I can enjoy that glass of wine, or piece of chocolate!

I've had ups and downs on this journey, it's easy to talk about losing weight and exercise. But bloody hard to achieve it so to everyone just give it your best shot!

Reactions: Prem51 and 1spuds

thhpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes or hyperglycemia occurs when the body glucose regulating system gone haywire due to insufficient insulin or insulin resistance or ...
That old man, Dr Richard Berstein, an engineer before becoming a diabetologist after graduating from Albert Einstein School of Medicine. He is a survival (Type 1 at 12 years of age) and now 85 years old.

He distilled the 'holy grail' that in adult non-diabetics blood glucose (BG) is always 83mg/dl (4.6mmol/L) unless he/she eats a high carb meal which will spike BG to 110mg/dL(6.1mmpl/L). For adults non-diabetics eating a carnivore or very low carb diet their BG is always flat at 83mg/dL +/- 5mg/dL due to meter accuracy etc.
A carnivore or very low carb diet is what early human beings eat before grains come into our diet 12,000 years ago.

He treats all his diabetic patients to maintain BG at 83mg/dL at all times, before meal, during meal and after meal or adults. For children before puberty the BG is maintained at 65 to 75 mg/dL. The most benign insulin sensitizing agent used is Glucophage, next is insulin to maintain normal glycaemia. Diet is very low carb.
Glucophage or Metformin is cleared by the renal system, for those with impaired renal filtration with eGFR below 60mL/min/1.73m2 Glucophage or Metformin should be discontinued and insulin therapy initiated.

Our body glucose regulating system secretes insulin at measured doses to counter dietary carbs. If the pancreas cannot produces sufficient endogenous insulin to do the regulating work, the most appropriate and natural treatment is measured doses of exogenous insulin to maintain euglycaemia. It does not means that the patient particularly Type 2 is at terminal stage,the insulin therapy will give the remaining beta cells a good rest and also conserve whatever beta cells that is left. BG will always goes up because of infection or illness, and insulin will always work to reduce BG.

It is also taught in medical school about glucose toxicity to beta cells at 140mg/dL (7.8mmol/L) beta cells starts to die off. For Type 2 the BG should never be allowed to spike beyond 6mmol/L whenever possible. (Type 1s have no discern-able beta cells left.)

Diabetics should be aware and resigned to the fact that they had finished their lifetime supply of starchy food if they want to avoid and reverses all diabetic complications. (It is a personal choice whether to choose this type of live style - to each its own.) His book Complete Diabetes Solution is considered by many as the bible for diabetes.

Hope this is of some use to you.