Newly Diagnosed type2

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi every one I have been lurking on these forums for about 8 weeks now and thought it was time to say hi and come out the shadows.

I was diagnosed about 8 weeks ago after being ill with a kidney infection and 3 kidney stones and 3 months off work in agony and several stints in hospital any way I lost about 2 1/2 stone wasn't sleeping partly due to the pain I was in so more blood tests were done after a fasting and my Hba1c came back as 58 and then diagnosed Type 2. Saw my diabetic nurse who had me on 2 Metformin a day and my diet has changed and I am following the lchf diet

I was a little upset at being diagnosed as I wasn't over weight my job is a shift engineer is very demanding and physical so I don't sit about and I didn't concider my diet as being an unhealthy one. The nurse suspects the shift work that I have done for the past 30+ years is probably the main cause. Any way o am here now and won't let it beat me. My morning bloods are usually any were between 4.5 to 6.0. I usually between 5 to 6.5 before a meal and usually 7.5 to 8.5 after a meal although I have had the odd blip to 12 so I know something I have eaten didn't agree with me.

I have read Daisey's posts that she puts out to use newbies and it's been very informative. Any way now I have bored you all I will just say Hi.

Reactions: Prem51

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome, it sounds as if you are off to good start. Most of us try to keep the increase across a meal down to 2 if possible. maybe a food diary will help you avoid the blips. I hope the pain has eased, that may have been the trigger, we tend to find that illness does nasty things to our bg levels, so stay well. :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Voodoorising! Your bs readings sound good, the lchf seems to be working for you. Well done for posting, our stories encourage others. I hope you continue to post.

Reactions: callyandy

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Welcome, @Voodoorising! Sounds like you're doing brilliantly so far. Don't beat yourself up if you get the odd high reading. If your overall control is good, you're winning the battle.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. Your lurking has paid off with what looks like very good readings. Did you purchase your own meter or did the GP supply one ? Readings before and after food will soon point out the blip culprits.. I keep a daily diary of food and readings and this has helped enormously.

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. Your lurking has paid off with what looks like very good readings. Did you purchase your own meter or did the GP supply one ? Readings before and after food will soon point out the blip culprits.. I keep a daily diary of food and readings and this has helped enormously.

Hi Daisyduck, initially in the weeks before I saw the nurse for a propper consultation I bought my own meter a codefree as recomended by many on this forum. When I had my first consultation after she told me what type of foods to avoid and here plan for dealing with me I asked her If she was going to issue me with a meter, initially her answer was no they only give them to type 1's and in her experiance she said most people use it the first few months and it then sits on a cupboard.

I wasnt happy with that answer and said well I am not most people, and how am I supposed to know if I am eating the right things and helping myself if I dont know what my blood suger levels are and you testing me every 4 months doesnt help me.I laid down a valid convincing case and she gave me one and repeat prescriptions for the strips,

I have since found out that 2 other lads who work in the same building as me are also type 2's and have been for a while one for the last 8yrs, they didnt have meters and relied on there check ups with there Dr's. I was also asking them lots of questions and was shocked to find out that in my short time of being diagnosed that my knowledge of diabetes and foods to eat etc was way above theres and there now me asking stuff.

Yes I keep a food diary. I use an app on my phone called Diabetes App, I keep a log of what I eat, Blood sugar readings Times, weight etc. I now only test 4 times a day Morning when I wake up, mid afternoon and before and after my evening meal. I also check if I am eating something new.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Good on you for pushing; your experience sounds very similar to mine. One of the saddest things I experienced recently was going on a Diabetes Awareness course. Some of the people around the table had had Type 2 for years but had never tested and they weren't even sure what diabetes is because no one had taken the time to explain to them. The DSN seemed surprised I tested regularly and the dietician pushed the Eatwell Plate with a ferocity that was astounding (somehow I managed to keep quiet for most of this). During one of the breaks I was quietly recommending this website to the other participants...

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good on you for pushing; your experience sounds very similar to mine. One of the saddest things I experienced recently was going on a Diabetes Awareness course. Some of the people around the table had had Type 2 for years but had never tested and they weren't even sure what diabetes is because no one had taken the time to explain to them. The DSN seemed surprised I tested regularly and the dietician pushed the Eatwell Plate with a ferocity that was astounding (somehow I managed to keep quiet for most of this). During one of the breaks I was quietly recommending this website to the other participants...
Absolutely agree, My Diabetes course did the same thing and I really felt bad for the others on the course. Like you I told them to have a look in these forums.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daisyduck, initially in the weeks before I saw the nurse for a propper consultation I bought my own meter a codefree as recomended by many on this forum. When I had my first consultation after she told me what type of foods to avoid and here plan for dealing with me I asked her If she was going to issue me with a meter, initially her answer was no they only give them to type 1's and in her experiance she said most people use it the first few months and it then sits on a cupboard.

I wasnt happy with that answer and said well I am not most people, and how am I supposed to know if I am eating the right things and helping myself if I dont know what my blood suger levels are and you testing me every 4 months doesnt help me.I laid down a valid convincing case and she gave me one and repeat prescriptions for the strips,

I have since found out that 2 other lads who work in the same building as me are also type 2's and have been for a while one for the last 8yrs, they didnt have meters and relied on there check ups with there Dr's. I was also asking them lots of questions and was shocked to find out that in my short time of being diagnosed that my knowledge of diabetes and foods to eat etc was way above theres and there now me asking stuff.

Yes I keep a food diary. I use an app on my phone called Diabetes App, I keep a log of what I eat, Blood sugar readings Times, weight etc. I now only test 4 times a day Morning when I wake up, mid afternoon and before and after my evening meal. I also check if I am eating something new.

Well done for pushing and getting a meter. My surgery will not be moved !
Great that you can help the lads at work too, the NHS so called advice is criminal !

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although I have only seen my Nurse twice upto now the first time I was told and given my Tablets the second to see how I was getting on with them and to see if I had any side effects and it was at that meeting I asked loads of questions and pushed for the meter I dont really have allot of confidence in the system (NHS) maybe her to its early days, I get the feeling they dont fully understand it themselves and I have learnt more from here and reading up on stuff myself.

I next see her in January for bloods when my bloods cells should have refreshed themselves, Its early days I should give her a chance but I dont lye down easily and get fobbed off.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcom @Voodoorising
Sounds like you are doing really well. Keep it up and hopefully you will surprise everyone with your next HbA1c. By the way I'm 18 months in and still learning.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi and Welcome,
Well done for standing your ground with the nurse. I've only been diagnosed 6 weeks myself, but like you have found this site invaluable. Thanks guys and gals.
Maggie/Magpie

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Voodoorising, I'm a newbie too, 7 weeks. One thing we all seem to have in common on this site is an innate stubborness which means if we're not sure of the initial answer we're given, we'll go and check it out ourselves!!! Thank goodness for Diabetes.co.uk! I'm lucky and on a prediabetes "Xpert" course, although my Hb1Ac reading was 51.7% on the induction. Our facilitator is a true advocate of LCHF so is heavily promoting it, and since 30 September I've managed to loose 11 kgs, (lots more to go :rolleyes:). I too am saddened and amazed how many diabetes sufferers have no idea about any alternative ideas than the NHS gumpf spouted at them, you're obviously helping alot of people by sharing your accumulated knowledge. Well Done :D

Good luck with your progress, keep posting, I look forward to hearing your story. :happy:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi every one I have been lurking on these forums for about 8 weeks now and thought it was time to say hi and come out the shadows.

I was diagnosed about 8 weeks ago after being ill with a kidney infection and 3 kidney stones and 3 months off work in agony and several stints in hospital any way I lost about 2 1/2 stone wasn't sleeping partly due to the pain I was in so more blood tests were done after a fasting and my Hba1c came back as 58 and then diagnosed Type 2. Saw my diabetic nurse who had me on 2 Metformin a day and my diet has changed and I am following the lchf diet

I was a little upset at being diagnosed as I wasn't over weight my job is a shift engineer is very demanding and physical so I don't sit about and I didn't concider my diet as being an unhealthy one. The nurse suspects the shift work that I have done for the past 30+ years is probably the main cause. Any way o am here now and won't let it beat me. My morning bloods are usually any were between 4.5 to 6.0. I usually between 5 to 6.5 before a meal and usually 7.5 to 8.5 after a meal although I have had the odd blip to 12 so I know something I have eaten didn't agree with me.

I have read Daisey's posts that she puts out to use newbies and it's been very informative. Any way now I have bored you all I will just say Hi.

Welcome here hope you'll get many joyfull hours here seems like you are managing very fine already fine numbers the most of the mentioned