1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed with type 1

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Jenniferp82, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jenniferp82

Jenniferp82 Type 1 · Newbie

Sept 7th 2017 in hospital I was newly diagnosed with diabetes type 1. With insluin iv drip and antibotics for my kidney infection and huge kidney stone inside my left kidney, currently on abasaglar and novo rapid. Plus been epileptic for 21 years which is controlled with medication. I am due operation very soon due my health conditions. Adjusting to life with epilepsy and diabetes. But I carry my bumbag with my insluin and glucose tablets and blood sugar monitor also. Pretty organised incase of a hypo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jo_the_boat

Jo_the_boat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer and welcome.
    There's plenty of support available on here if you feel you need it, in particular practical support from other T1s and morally from the likes of me (T2). There's lots of encouraging and supportive reading here too.
    Best of luck

3. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi. Having your kit with you is a great move, welcome to the forum.

4. Daibell

Daibell Type 1.5 · Expert

Hi. It can't be easy. When you have the operation do discuss with the surgeon/anaesthetist how your insulin will be managed. I always hang on to my insulin and do my own injections with their agreement. Be careful if sliding scale insulin is intended as this can be bad news if the nurse managing it is too busy or doesn't understand how to use it.

5. Deanoh

Deanoh Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Jennifer!

I'm also recently diagnosed T1, people on the forum are great and everyone chips in when help is needed :)
    Good luck with your op!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook