Newly Diagnosed

widmerman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello
I was newly Diagnosed as Type 2 at the end of November.My reading was 70.
70 what? I have been backwards and forwards to the Doctor and have had no help whatsoever. I am on a slow release tablet twice a day.Have no clue what I should or should not eat.
I feel confused and annoyed at no support
I asked for a meter and was told I don't need one! I have now developed headaches which I have now had for over a week.Had an eye test at the Hospital.Having blood tests for the Headaches, not sure why?
Really Fed up.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @widmerman - Welcome to the Forum :). You received Daisy1's information post and this is a good starting point.
The number 70 is probably your HBA1C reading - which is a blood test done every 3 or 6 months prior to your Diabetes Review and the result is useful to your GP and Diabetic Nurse at how (well) controlled your Diabetes is or not!
The tablet sounds very much like Slow Release Metformin which takes time to build up in your system before it has any effect. Take it with food or just after and with a glass of water. Never take it on an empty stomach as it may cause stomach upset.
You really ought to purchase a Blood Glucose Meter if the Practise has not provided you with one, it is a vital piece of equipment and allows you to test against which foods will raise your Blood Sugars. Here on the Forum a lot of members use the SD Codefree Meter because the Test Strips are the cheapest to buy. Here is the website take a look:

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose/

State you are Diabetic for VAT exemption. And we use in the UK - mmol/l.
If you buy in bulk Here are the discount codes for test strips.
5 packs = 264086. 10 packs = 975833.

Any questions you might have? Just ask. Someone will always give you an answer. :)

Reactions: Prem51

widmerman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you Liam for your reply.The tablets I am taking are Sukkarto SR which are slow release taken twice a day.
I will phone the surgery this morning to see if I can have a meter and if not will follow your link.Going for blood test today regarding my headaches, not sure what they are looking for.Still very confused as to what I should be eating.Diabetic nurse was useless, didn't really tell me anything! Don't even know when the next HBA1C test is.The whole thing seems an absolute shambles.Confused and very fed up.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @widmerman and welcome to the forum. As @Liam1955 says the 70 figure is probably your HbA1c (ifcc) test result.
Under 42 is non-diabetic, 42-47 is pre-diabetic, 48 and above is diabetic. 70 is quite high but it can be reduced. Many on this forum have reduced their blood sugar levels by adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating.
Have a read round the threads to see how it works, and ask any questions you want to, the people on here are friendly and supportive.
If you were diagnosed in November you should be retested soon, there is usually a retest after 3 months to confirm the diagnosis. Your GP should also refer you to the practice nurse to test your feet and give you some advice, and you should also be asked if you want to be referred for a diabetes management course.
It is unlikely that you will be given a blood glucose meter, or prescribed testing strips. They aren't usually given to Type 2s unless they are on insulin. It would be useful if you can buy one yourself so that you can ind out which foods affect you, and how you are doing.