Type 2: Newly diagnosed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was only diagnosed as type 2 diabetic last Thursday a real shock as I play tennis 3 times a week, golf twice a week have a healthy diet don't smoke and normal weight BMI. Father was a type 2 diabetic. mine was discovered with a urine sample as I thought I had a urinary tract infection. Still really shocked blood reading was 19. Now on initial 500g tablet metphormin (had 2 days) increasing to 1000 in a week.

Is it normal to get tingling and prickling in feet legs etc as blood sugar reduces?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @stuartfearnley ,

Welcome to the forums. As we often tell people, diabetes can be rather indescriminate in choosing where to strike next.

How was your T2 confirmed? What tests have you had? And what were your pre-diagnosis symptoms?

Was your (19) blood test the result of a simple finger prick test or a lab test ?

@daisy1 can give you some basic information for new starters.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @stuartfearnley ,

Welcome to the forums. As we often tell people, diabetes can be rather indescriminate in choosing where to strike next.

How was your T2 confirmed? What tests have you had? And what were your pre-diagnosis symptoms?

Was your (19) blood test the result of a simple finger prick test or a lab test ?

@daisy1 can give you some basic information for new starters.
Thanks for the swift reply. Pre diagnosis was only urinary issue needing to go more strange smell etc. T2 confirmed by initial urine sample, then finger test(19) then full blood test a8 but six week average 13. I had been drinking huge quantities of lemon barley and other sugary drinks as I was unaware. in 2015 all blood tests were normal so something occurred in the last 18 months. Eye test was normal 4 months ago. Still concerned re the prickling sensation in legs arms and feet though

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

These numbers you are quoting are quite high, and of course the frequent urination is a symptom of high blood sugars. The pricking and tingling sensation could be anything, but can be associated with high blood sugars over a period of time (neuropathy). If you manage to gain control and reduce those blood sugars down to normal, the tingling should disappear, or at least improve.

My advice is to buy a blood glucose meter and test strips. Once you have this you can use it to help you moderate what you are eating that may be causing your high levels. By testing before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite and looking at the rise in levels from before to after, you can tweak that meal by either reducing the portion sizes of the carbs or eliminating some completely.

You say you are eating a healthy diet. I wish I had a pound for every time a newcomer says that. ;) Unfortunately carbs are seen as being healthy, especially the wholemeal varieties, but as far as blood sugars are concerned, they are anything but healthy. The NHS and other food advisory agencies haven't discovered this yet! Also bear in mind there can be genetic factors at play as your father has T2.

Perhaps if you give us some idea of what you typically eat in a day we may spot something to help.. Meanwhile I'll tag @daisy1 for the very useful information given to newcomers.

Reactions: Prem51

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thanks for the swift reply. Pre diagnosis was only urinary issue needing to go more strange smell etc. T2 confirmed by initial urine sample, then finger test(19) then full blood test a8 but six week average 13. I had been drinking huge quantities of lemon barley and other sugary drinks as I was unaware. in 2015 all blood tests were normal so something occurred in the last 18 months. Eye test was normal 4 months ago. Still concerned re the prickling sensation in legs arms and feet though

As far as I am aware, your diabetes type cannot be confirmed by a urine test, only the fact that you have high levels of glucose present. Not sure what you mean by "a8" blood test but did this include the GAD antibody tests and the C-Peptide test?

M

ME_Valentijn

Is it normal to get tingling and prickling in feet legs etc as blood sugar reduces?
That can be due to high blood sugar for too long. If anything, it should get better as blood sugar goes down. Do you have a glucose meter so that you can see what's going on, and how different foods are impacting you?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As far as I am aware, your diabetes type cannot be confirmed by a urine test, only the fact that you have high levels of glucose present. Not sure what you mean by "a8" blood test but did this include the GAD antibody tests and the C-Peptide test?

Apologies mistype should be 18 but I will ask about the other tests thank you

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome,

These numbers you are quoting are quite high, and of course the frequent urination is a symptom of high blood sugars. The pricking and tingling sensation could be anything, but can be associated with high blood sugars over a period of time (neuropathy). If you manage to gain control and reduce those blood sugars down to normal, the tingling should disappear, or at least improve.

My advice is to buy a blood glucose meter and test strips. Once you have this you can use it to help you moderate what you are eating that may be causing your high levels. By testing before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite and looking at the rise in levels from before to after, you can tweak that meal by either reducing the portion sizes of the carbs or eliminating some completely.

You say you are eating a healthy diet. I wish I had a pound for every time a newcomer says that. ;) Unfortunately carbs are seen as being healthy, especially the wholemeal varieties, but as far as blood sugars are concerned, they are anything but healthy. The NHS and other food advisory agencies haven't discovered this yet! Also bear in mind there can be genetic factors at play as your father has T2.

Perhaps if you give us some idea of what you typically eat in a day we may spot something to help.. Meanwhile I'll tag @daisy1 for the very useful information given to newcomers.

Really helpful thank you. I will obtain a meter. Yes whilst I felt healthy there were carbs and lots of fruit including juices. Also it is surprising how much chocolate and drinks are full of sugar. All this has stopped and blood test is due Tuesday morning at the clinic.
I eat a lot of chicken fish red meat and vegetables. Did have pasta 2 or 3 times a week also salad or chicken sandwich on white rolls and small levels of potato.

The day pre my test I was unaware re diabetes and had eaten a large burger with fries 3 pints of Guinness and a bottle of red wine( a one off I may add), then 2 pints of lemon barley before be time but with a quarter of juice.

Really appreciate feedback

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really helpful thank you. I will obtain a meter. Yes whilst I felt healthy there were carbs and lots of fruit including juices. Also it is surprising how much chocolate and drinks are full of sugar. All this has stopped and blood test is due Tuesday morning at the clinic.
I eat a lot of chicken fish red meat and vegetables. Did have pasta 2 or 3 times a week also salad or chicken sandwich on white rolls and small levels of potato.

The day pre my test I was unaware re diabetes and had eaten a large burger with fries 3 pints of Guinness and a bottle of red wine( a one off I may add), then 2 pints of lemon barley before be time but with a quarter of juice.

Really appreciate feedback

It will help you if you obtain print outs of all your test results, from diagnosis and in the future. You then know where you are, where you are starting from, which tests you had, and what you need to do to improve. If you are in England you may find these are all on-line because all surgeries were told to have them on line from April 2016, although some are a bit behind. Do ask about this when you go on Tuesday and find out how to register for it. Failing that, ask for the prints. As an addition, it isn't just glucose tests that are important, but also cholesterol, lipids, liver & kidney functions. You will be tested regularly for all these, so do make sure you either have on-line access or print outs.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It will help you if you obtain print outs of all your test results, from diagnosis and in the future. You then know where you are, where you are starting from, which tests you had, and what you need to do to improve. If you are in England you may find these are all on-line because all surgeries were told to have them on line from April 2016, although some are a bit behind. Do ask about this when you go on Tuesday and find out how to register for it. Failing that, ask for the prints. As an addition, it isn't just glucose tests that are important, but also cholesterol, lipids, liver & kidney functions. You will be tested regularly for all these, so do make sure you either have on-line access or print outs.
Thanks again I will do that on Tuesday. All the other tests mentioned were normal but with eye tests etc I will ensure regular checks. My father lost toes and had peripheral vascular disease in his late sixties after being diagnosed at 60 albeit this was 30 years ago, he had been a heavy smoker as well. After this major shock to me I am trying to be positive and will in time put voluntary work into Diabetes.

This forum is really good

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again I will do that on Tuesday. All the other tests mentioned were normal but with eye tests etc I will ensure regular checks. My father lost toes and had peripheral vascular disease in his late sixties after being diagnosed at 60 albeit this was 30 years ago, he had been a heavy smoker as well. After this major shock to me I am trying to be positive and will in time put voluntary work into Diabetes.

This forum is really good

Another piece of advice. (You will get sick of me before long!)

NEVER accept a doctor's statement that results are "normal" or "fine" or "OK". Find out what they were and check for yourself. This is because:
Blood tests are analysed in labs. The lab completes the report and highlights any results that are outside the accepted normal range. The doctors look at these reports and look for the highlights. They don't look at the non-highlighted ones. They assume they are "normal".

However, although the result may be within the normal standard range, it may be teetering on the edge and about to go over. By the time of your next test, it may well have gone over, but you have lost 6 or 12 months when you could have done something about it. I analyse my own test results and look for trends up or down of everything, even if they are all within normal standard. Knowledge is power. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Another piece of advice. (You will get sick of me before long!)

NEVER accept a doctor's statement that results are "normal" or "fine" or "OK". Find out what they were and check for yourself. This is because:
Blood tests are analysed in labs. The lab completes the report and highlights any results that are outside the accepted normal range. The doctors look at these reports and look for the highlights. They don't look at the non-highlighted ones. They assume they are "normal".

However, although the result may be within the normal standard range, it may be teetering on the edge and about to go over. By the time of your next test, it may well have gone over, but you have lost 6 or 12 months when you could have done something about it. I analyse my own test results and look for trends up or down of everything, even if they are all within normal standard. Knowledge is power. :)

Don't think I will get sick of you I am passionate about getting things right, I work for a large company with 95,000 employees, I am well known across the group and the first thing on Monday I will be highlighting what has happened to me to raise awareness for those who think (as I did) "it won't be me I am fit"

Really appreciate the advice