Newly Diagnosed

fifibi

I was diagnosed with Type 2 last week. I was put on Metformin but after taking just one tablet within half an hour I had terrible stomach cramps and terrible upset tummy. The doctor then changed my medication to Gyclizide. I went for my diabetic meeting with the nurse and she gave me a blood monitor to test my own sugar. My mother was a type 1 diabetic so I have lived with diabetes in the family. When I first had my blood sugar taken it was 19.5 last week. This week it has jumped around but I took it an hour and a half after lunch today and it was 26.5!!! I am scared about it being that high. I have really taken stock of my diet this week and stopped alcohol. I have lost about 10 pounds in a week which is a welcome thing as I really need to lose a couple of stone. I am now upping my dosage following advice from the nurse last night. What happens if my bs keeps going up and up what can happen. As I said I am scared. I am due to see nurse again on Monday afternoon

M

ME_Valentijn

When I first had my blood sugar taken it was 19.5 last week. This week it has jumped around but I took it an hour and a half after lunch today and it was 26.5!!! I am scared about it being that high.
Are you having symptoms? It might be a good idea to test for ketones, especially since you have Type I in the family and they can't have ruled it out yet for you. Urine sticks (such as Ketostix) are cheap and often available at the pharmacy.

In the meantime, it can help a lot to minimize carbs. I aim for about 20 per meal, though some people can go lower and some stay higher.
I have lost about 10 pounds in a week which is a welcome thing as I really need to lose a couple of stone.
This is not a good thing when weight loss is happening as a result of hyperglycemia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If you have T1 in the family don't dismiss the possibility that you are late onset T1. As you have some excess weight that is also a pointer to T2 so at the moment you could be either. There are tests for T1 but I would keep up the low-carb diet and see where you get to. A T2 losing weight should see improved blood sugar whereas a T1 might not see the same improvement. I'm surprised the GP didn't switch you to Metformin SR the Slow Release version as Met and Glic work in very different ways.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@fifibi I second the advice to consider that you may be late onset Type 1. Not just because your mother had it, but because your sugars are high and you've mentioned a big weight loss in a short period of time.

Many adults are assumed to be Type 2 but are actually Type 1. Such a misdiagnosis is more common than you might imagine.

I advise you to go back to your GP, remind her/him about your mother, explain your weight loss, and request further tests to determine your type if there's the slightest bit of doubt.

Edited to add that there's no need to be afraid of being Type 1. It's a pain, yes, but modern technology and insulins have made it easier to control.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Fifibi welcome sorry your afraid of maybe having type 1 I have been type 1 for 43yrs and I know a few people who's had it a lot longer than that and I'm still alive it's really just a case of getting advice etc and going to all your appointments with doctors/nurses now try not to worry always great advice on the forum good luck

Reactions: azure

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Fifibi forgot to add when I was first diagnosed I always took a pen and paper just to write down what was said because if like me you come out and can't remember half of what was said just a thought good luck Monday xx

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @fifibi .. and welcome
What a shocker of a week you have had .. all that I can say is that your medical team seem to be on the ball .. and, here, you have joined an extremely welcoming, informative and friendly forum .. so, ask your questions and you can be confident that you will get the answers that you need :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you really need to see the doctor again, really urgently due to the weight loss and those blood glucose numbers, as along with your family history - you could be type 1 and all the low carb eating possible would not help in the slightest.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi and welcome,
I'll tag @daisy1 for you and you should receive some useful information that may help appease some of your concerns.
Hope you get a proper diagnosis soon so all the worry you currently have lessons.
Good luck with your appointment on monday

Sue108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I was diagnosed 12 Dec 2016 after feeling very thirsty and after 4 courses of steroids bg on that day 27.5. Had reaction to metformin after 1 tab, was ill for 4 days. Then put on sitaglyptin then week later on gliclazide as well. Blood sugars gradually came down now mostly under 9.0. Bread worst enemy but now found lidl protein rolls and blood sugars ok with these. I felt very scared at first, still do at times but things will hopefully settle. Try not to worry as much as that alone does not help blood sugars.

Reactions: Ultramum

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@fifibi

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new Members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.