leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Just tested my blood for 1st time and got a reading of 1.4 is this right
Welcome to the forum @Winterk. I seriously doubt it would be 1.4! Have a closer look to make sure of that reading. Don't worry, you will get the hang it.

Winterk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How is 6.5 after lunch? I am not sure of ranges for fasting and after calorie range

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How is 6.5 after lunch? I am not sure of ranges for fasting and after calorie range

It isn't easy to answer that. It depends what you were before you ate, and what you ate.

Type 2 ranges, as recommended by the NHS, are
Before meals between 4 and 7
At least 90 minutes later, under 8.5

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

We tend to look at the actual rise rather than the levels (providing they are within range). It is OK if the rise from before to after is under 2mmol/l but preferable if it is under 1.5mmol/l. The lower the better.

Where you start is important because if, say, you start at 4mmol/l then anything over 6mmol/l afterwards isn't too good.

Winterk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It isn't easy to answer that. It depends what you were before you ate, and what you ate.

Type 2 ranges, as recommended by the NHS, are
Before meals between 4 and 7
At least 90 minutes later, under 8.5

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

We tend to look at the actual rise rather than the levels (providing they are within range). It is OK if the rise from before to after is under 2mmol/l but preferable if it is under 1.5mmol/l. The lower the better.

Where you start is important because if, say, you start at 4mmol/l then anything over 6mmol/l afterwards isn't too good.

Just tested again and it's 10, no idea what I am doing

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Just tested again and it's 10, no idea what I am doing

Yeah but what had you eaten before that? Test before and 2-2.5 hours after eating food. Chances are if the reading is more than 2mmols higher than it was before you ate, your food had too many carbs in it. Testing an hour or so after eating will maybe show you what kind of spike you are getting from food but (unless its ridiculously high) won't tell you much of value in relation to how your system "recovers". I did test a lot more when first diagnosed and wrote results down alongside times and food I had eaten so that I could look for patterns...and it helped immensely because I discovered that some other meds I took were spiking my levels. Take you time and try not to read too much into levels until you are seeing patterns from info you record. Generally, levels should come down the better you adhere to a diet low enough in carbs that you find sustainable. You will soon know exactly what you are doing.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Just tested my blood for 1st time and got a reading of 1.4 is this right
1.4 is seriously low. I would inclined to think it is 14. Don't worry, we have all been through this.