Newly diagnosed

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi just been diagnosed with type 1. Since 1987 had chronic brittle asthma and was in and out of hospital. Got asthma under control and then I get a brain tumour in 2006. That was all sorted and then 3 years later diagnosed with type 2 until a fortnight ago.
I am totally gutted I have to do all these injections at 53 years old. 4 injections, Novorapid and Levemir, also kept on 4 x metformin.
I have been fighting ill health for many years and now I just don't have the motivation to do it!!! I'm totally worn out fighting. It has made me feel very depressed. All the new information is overwhelming I don't want to gain weight, that is another problem I fear. I just don't want to do this and I feel I just cannot get a break from ill health. I have two sisters who have no illnesses.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am T2 so I cannot advise you on T1 treatment but I just wanted to say that the folks here will give you all the support and guidance that you may need. Once the shock of diagnosis dims then you can get on with learning how best to cope and deal with your T1DM. Best wishes.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi just been diagnosed with type 1. Since 1987 had chronic brittle asthma and was in and out of hospital. Got asthma under control and then I get a brain tumour in 2006. That was all sorted and then 3 years later diagnosed with type 2 until a fortnight ago.
I am totally gutted I have to do all these injections at 53 years old. 4 injections, Novorapid and Levemir, also kept on 4 x metformin.
I have been fighting ill health for many years and now I just don't have the motivation to do it!!! I'm totally worn out fighting. It has made me feel very depressed. All the new information is overwhelming I don't want to gain weight, that is another problem I fear. I just don't want to do this and I feel I just cannot get a break from ill health. I have two sisters who have no illnesses.

Sorry to hear how bad things have been and that you now have this to deal with. Sometimes it seems life is against us living well or that chance is rolling loaded dice and has a personal interest in knocking us when we crawl out of something designed to test us to the limit. I was born with kidney disease and finally needed a transplant at 52, I got through that (not that it was as bad as many other things people can suffer from..and at least I got one) to find that some of the anti-rejection treatment gave me diabetes. I fought to get that under control as well as to deal with a number of relatively minor set backs with my transplant...and now I have a virus in my new kidney which has to be closely monitored as it refuses to go away and threatens the life of the kidney. I am sure, however, that there are loads of people here, like yourself, with their own pressures...and it will get them down..and if they let it it might keep them down. To hell with that. Of course, you are demotivated..who wouldn't be? Listen, we'd be nuts to be dancing and throwing a party about the things that pull us down just as we think we are coping - but - cope we will if we refuse to "be" what our own surrender to what ails us would make us. I hope it doesn't sound patronising....but I really do think that having control of ourselves taken away to any extent naturally pulls us down and can make us depressed, angry, bitter..and weaker for it - and so taking control back where we can is the obvious thing to do. So, all I can really say, having rabbited on already, is yeah...totally get it...but identify what you need to do to take control of it and get one with doing it...the sooner you do, the more positive you will feel about how you respond to the **** life chucks at you. Good luck. Feel free to download as well as to ask questions..there's a lot of experience here to help you in your approach.