Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@tanmac

Hello Tanmac and welcome to the Forum :) Here, in my signature, is the link to the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you should aim for under 50g of carbs a day until you get your BG under control, then consider if going up to 150g a day is a good option. "half measures" will make the process take longer. As you have to change all your meals you might as well remove all high carb food. It is easier to for example have no rise then one spoon of rice.
Thanks u will do this xx

Reactions: Bluetit1802

thomasrichmond_16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's fine to have some highs when you're first diagnosed. It's been almost 5 weeks since I was diagnosed and I am still adjusting my doses to get my levels right.

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Apparently my cholesterol is High as well. 6.9 just so unfair I haven't been living a really bad lifestyle

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hopefully I feel like am on a losing streak. Every but of bad news brings me down another peg

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How often would you eat one of those. I am aiming for 50 carbs a day is that OK xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How often would you eat one of those. I am aiming for 50 carbs a day is that OK xx

I have half a roll every day, sometimes twice. I can't manage a full roll at one sitting! However, I always eat them with a meal, not on its own. Each roll contains about 9g carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I could do two in one day xx

It depends what other carbs you have that day. You need to factor them in to your plan, and you also need to test them with your meter before deciding to eat 2 a day!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You will get ketones in urine - but if you turn out to be type two and can get your blood glucose down just by diet, then it will not matter about ketones, they are a natural part of the metabolism running on fats rather than glucose, and with any luck you will feel full of energy eating low carb. The ketoacidosis which is dangerous for type ones is associated with high blood glucose and a lack of insulin, which is the opposite of what type twos on low carb are experiencing.
I have just been to the shops and returned with bags of groceries - the freezer is stocked up with beef lamb and pork, also fish and bacon frozen vege mixes and frozen berries. I have got avocadoes, celery onions mushrooms melon plums Lidl protein rolls tomatoes, high cocoa chocolate, cheese, cream cheese, creme frashe, double cream, extra thick cream tinned tuna Greek yogurt lettuce radishes ground coffee, herbal teas - mint and liquorice - I think I will be able to survive for a while on that lot.
I stick to foods of less than 11 percent carbs - but the plums and melon I need to eat in small amounts and have only begun buying recently as I have got down to normal levels in my blood tests, and upped my activity levels.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I am on low carb does that mean more ketos in my urine

Dietary ketosis is good, but unlikely to happen on 50g carbs a day. It usually happens on 30g and probably less..

It is the condition called ketoacidosis that is dangerous, and is associated with very high blood sugars.