Newly diagnosed

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
OK blood at 8pm was 9.1 think I have moderate ketos. Had bout 40g carbs all day and a headache all day. Feel like giving up

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK blood at 8pm was 9.1 think I have moderate ketos. Had bout 40g carbs all day and a headache all day. Feel like giving up

Have you measured your ketones? How do you know you have them?

Have you been drinking a lot of water? This is essential on a low carb diet, and maybe your headache is due to dehydration.

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have measured it says moderate. Sometimes there is a trace. I drink loads of soda water

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have measured it says moderate. Sometimes there is a trace. I drink loads of soda water

How much is loads? Including tea and coffee you should be drinking around 2 litres a day. You need to get your blood sugars lower and the ketones should not be measurable. It isn't low carb causing it because you aren't low carb enough.

When you measured your BS at 8pm was that just a random test or was it 2 hours after a meal? Did you test before eating and also 2 hours after first bite, and look at the difference between the 2 readings? Any rise from before to after needs to be as little as possible, and definitely under 2mmol/l/

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How much is loads? Including tea and coffee you should be drinking around 2 litres a day. You need to get your blood sugars lower and the ketones should not be measurable. It isn't low carb causing it because you aren't low carb enough.

When you measured your BS at 8pm was that just a random test or was it 2 hours after a meal? Did you test before eating and also 2 hours after first bite, and look at the difference between the 2 readings? Any rise from before to after needs to be as little as possible, and definitely under 2mmol/l/
I drink more than 2 litres of water and have one coffee. I tested an hour after eating g scrambled egg bacon and mushroom

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am testing three times 11 fasting. 11.8 lunch and 8.2 after tea. I am sick if hearing that am high off people. Please someone tell me is that good or OK after being on gliclazide for only six days x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am testing three times 11 fasting. 11.8 lunch and 8.2 after tea. I am sick if hearing that am high off people. Please someone tell me is that good or OK after being on gliclazide for only six days x

Are you not also testing the same meal before and 2 hours after first bite? If not, you are wasting strips and your time. Random numbers mean nothing and you are learning nothing. If I were you I would forget the fasting until you have your meals sorted out. Look at the rise from before to after and keep it under 2mmol/l. If you don't do this, what can you learn?

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you not also testing the same meal before and 2 hours after first bite? If not, you are wasting strips and your time. Random numbers mean nothing and you are learning nothing. If I were you I would forget the fasting until you have your meals sorted out. Look at the rise from before to after and keep it under 2mmol/l. If you don't do this, what can you learn?
11.8 was two hours after xx

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Also they never told me to test after meals just in morning and then at night. I decided to mix it up

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had sliced ham which was 1 percent sugar. And handful of cheese and onion. I just don't understand it all still. I never drink sugary drinks or eat sweets and I have all these diabetics telling me you can have the odd treat but I have one jacket potatoe and all hell breaks loose??

It may be worth doing a bit of research and learning exactly what carbohydrate is. A lot of us look at this condition as a disorder which means we don't process carbohydrate the same as other people. You will find that carbohydrate is in a lot of different foods. Try checking the nutrition info on the packets, they're usually a good guide. Also find out which fruit and veg contain carbs, as although we're told to eat 5 portions a day, some veg and fruit are really high carb, and may make your blood sugar go sky high, as you've just found out with your jacket potoato. The only warning I will give is that the medications you are on WILL lower your blood sugars, so if you intend to eat lower carb food, you may have to have them adjusted.
It just takes a little bit of reading and learning, you will adapt to this.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Also they never told me to test after meals just in morning and then at night. I decided to mix it up

Tanmc, some diabetic doctors and nurses don't advocate testing.....but if you don't test you have no idea how certain foods react with your body. It is well worth testing to find out and avoid the complications of diabetes by having good diabetic control. It all seems overwhelming at first, but I'd say if you read a little bit every day and investigate sites like diet doctor, you will learn that it's not so bad.

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It may be worth doing a bit of research and learning exactly what carbohydrate is. A lot of us look at this condition as a disorder which means we don't process carbohydrate the same as other people. You will find that carbohydrate is in a lot of different foods. Try checking the nutrition info on the packets, they're usually a good guide. Also find out which fruit and veg contain carbs, as although we're told to eat 5 portions a day, some veg and fruit are really high carb, and may make your blood sugar go sky high, as you've just found out with your jacket potoato. The only warning I will give is that the medications you are on WILL lower your blood sugars, so if you intend to eat lower carb food, you may have to have them adjusted.
It just takes a little bit of reading and learning, you will adapt to this.
Thank you I have done nothing but research all week. I am doing 30 to 50 carbs a day xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
11.8 was two hours after xx

If you carry on testing the way you were told, you will never learn anything. You were given poor information, although this information came from your nurse/doctor, it doesn't make it right. You will learn more about what you personally can or can't eat, and in what quantities, by testing before you eat and 2 hours after, plus keeping a detailed food diary and recording your levels alongside.

You are very newly diagnosed, so at the moment the amount of rise from before to after is far more important than the actual level. Once you have got that right, your levels should drop. So the most important thing is to test meals as you have been advised on this forum, and keep any rises from before to after under 2mmol/l, preferably less. That way you will learn which are your personal danger foods. You have already found one - jacket potato. Your 11.8 at the 2 hour mark after eating doesn't mean a thing unless you know what you were before you started to eat.

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Advice taken I am waiting for the two hour mark after breakfast. However I think I will delete this app as I need fellow diabetics to tell me if I am doing well and I keep feeling down each time I read a comment. Obvs I have things to learn which I will do with research

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Advice taken I am waiting for the two hour mark after breakfast. However I think I will delete this app as I need fellow diabetics to tell me if I am doing well and I keep feeling down each time I read a comment. Obvs I have things to learn which I will do with research

You will get there, and when you do you will wonder why you worried so much at the beginning!
This forum is brilliant, with hundreds of experienced fellow diabetics willing to help and support. Read round the other threads and keep asking questions. Good luck on your journey. :)

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well..... my selfish partner ordered takeaway last night whilst I was at work. So I put some kebab meat in a protein roll

Reactions: Bluetit1802