Newly diagnosed

Andybrookes90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my son has been diagnosed type 1 just 8 days ago. I feel so heartbroken about it. He's only 9 and he is really struggling to inject himself. He is happy for us to do it but just goes into meltdown when we ask him to do it. It is so hard as any parent just wants to protect their kids and not hurt them.
Any advice on how to make this easier would be appreciated.
Thanks Andy.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it would be scary stuff and would take confidence, I couldn't have an injection as a kid without freaking, let alone give myself one...

I would give him a pen without a needle to practice dialing up a dose, simulating an injection and counting to 10..
I think the brain is being programmed that it's ok and he can do it.. by the playing...
* never underestimate the power of a bribe :)

the care line is great to talk to someone about any concern or just a chat..too
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/careline

Andybrookes90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I might give that a try. But he seems fine with all the set up of the dose. It's just when he gets to the final bit of pushing the needle in he freaks.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andy, I can't really relate as a type 1, but I can relate as a father, must be a hard thing to go through but I'm sure in time it will ease and become like brushing your teeth. Some type 1's will be along soon to help you with some good advice.

Daks