NHS Dental treatment

pedro606

Do diabetics qualify for free or reduced cost treatment on NHS?

It is just that I have had a letter from the dentist reminding me of the need for a check-up and to bring along proof if I qualify for free treatment etc.

cheers,

Pete

Talia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
Unfortunately dental treatment is not part of the free NHS treatment for diabetics (i asked at my dental surgery a couple of years ago). Free perscriptions for those on tablets or insulin and free eye tests are a good benefit tho' .
Talia

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
pedro606 said:
Do diabetics qualify for free or reduced cost treatment on NHS?
It is just that I have had a letter from the dentist reminding me of the need for a check-up and to bring along proof if I qualify for free treatment etc.
cheers,
Pete

Hi Pete. There is free treatment available if you fit the following criteria:

Who can get free NHS dental treatment
You can get free dental treatment (including check-ups) if you:

are under 18

are under 19 and in full-time education

are pregnant

have given birth in the last twelve months

are getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit

are under 25 and in Wales (check-ups only)

are 60 and over in Wales (check-ups only).
Also, some people on a low income, including some people getting tax credits, can get free NHS dental treatment or treatment at a reduced cost.

Here is a link to the full CAB advice document.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/h_nhs_den ... atment.pdf

Hope that helps ?
Ken.

dentaltips

Pediatric Dentistry

Current Pediatric Diagnosis and Treatment
By William W. Hay, Myron J. Levin, Robin R Deterding,

http://www.tipsfordentalhealth.com/

harrywatson66

If you want NHS dental treatment, you first need to find out which dentists in your area have contracts with your local Primary Care Trust to provide NHS treatment. Then you need to find one who is accepting new patients. You’re entitled to any treatment which you need to maintain your dentalhealth. This could include the fitting of crowns, bridges and dentures. The dentist will give you a treatment plan after your check-up if you ask for it, which will show you what you need and the cost. There are three standard charges for a course of NHS dental treatment, depending on the treatment needed. These should be displayed in your dentist's waiting room. Some things, such as denture repairs, are free.

Hotgirlow

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm confused my mum has insulin injections based diabetes also taking loads of tablets for it can someone give me a straight answer about if she gets free dental care as she can't afford to pay and keeps getting reoccurring toothache

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If your mum falls into one of the categories given in post No 4 (or their present day equivalents as this is an old thread and some of the terms may have changed) then she qualifies....otherwise, I'm afraid not. Its not the diabetes that brings the benefit, but the means test.

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Ok put it another way, why should we not pay just because we have diabetes?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm interested to hear why those with diabetes should have any more entitlement than anyone else?

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was wondering the same thing. I'm interested to hear why those with diabetes should have any more entitlement than anyone else?
I am a diabetic over the age of 60, so for me it is a double whammy. Mind you most of my teeth have fallen out now, so I don't really need to go anymore.

As recent research is showing that there is a significant link between CVD and poor dental hygiene then maybe those who have had a CVE should get free dental care? or COPD sufferers?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok put it another way, why should we not pay just because we have diabetes?
Doesn't matter which way you put it. Diabetics are at higher risk of tooth and gum problems, as well as infections. If any other group was at increaded risk compared to the general population, they should have special consideration too.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everyone else does not have the risk of complications.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a diabetic over the age of 60, so for me it is a double whammy. Mind you most of my teeth have fallen out now, so I don't really need to go anymore.

As recent research is showing that there is a significant link between CVD and poor dental hygiene then maybe those who have had a CVE should get free dental care? or COPD sufferers?
There is apparently a link between gum disease and heart problems, so this is a group which needs special consideration.