1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

NHS Heart Age Calculator

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Jowen, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Jowen

Jowen Type 2 · Member

Hello everyone
    I did this Heart Age Calculator from the NHS. It showed my Heart Age as 95! Not long to go then, eh? I am 65 years old and really want to make my 80's at least! Has anyone else done the test? For me, it could frighten a few people - it had that affect on me, anyway. I thought that the NHS would be a safe bet to do these kind of things. Any thoughts?

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Pipp

Pipp I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Was it the QRISK test @Jowen?

3. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Tried it out for myself out of curiosity (it's here, https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/nhs-health-check/Pages/check-your-heart-age-tool.aspx) and was disappointed that the NHS does not distinguish between different types of diabetes. It ask "Do you have diabetes?". If you click "yes", it tells you "All of these conditions: Type 2 diabetes, ... can affect your heart health..." . It gives you no chance to specify the type but with its calculation, assumes you have type 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

I tried it with and without diabetes.

With diabetes it adds 10 years to my heart age, which corresponds with the theory that we die 10 years earlier than non-diabetics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

Yes.
    Because of diabetes it ages me 10yrs more. No matter my hba1c. Mind you it doesnt ask hba1c like cholesterol levels, blood pressure level etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Since it's from the NHS I don't believe it's accurate. Just like the advice for diabetics to eat plenty of lovely carbs. If it is accurate then I'll say Goodbye now. It was nice knowing you all. :):dead:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bon83

Bon83 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I couldn't remember my cholesterol and blood pressure so i should find them out and try again lol. I think they should change the name to the if you have diabetes you will die early calculator oh and it tells me that I am going to have a heart attack or stroke by the time I am 75. That's good to know. How on earth an online quiz can know that I am not aware. I am 34 and my heart age is 38 I have a good bmi which bumped it down a bit (i also think bmi is nonsense!) So I probably would have been ok if I wasn't diabetic. These things are just scare mongering tactics to get people to lose weight. They obviously went for the bargain option for the quiz because it doesn't ask about activity levels or even if you eat the demon bacon or sausages. I am sorry to rant - this tool may be useful for some but why it needs to include diabetes as a blanket option for adding years on us over simplistic.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

It told me at my current 123.60kg weight I'd live to 77. When I changed weight to proposed weight after bariatric surgery it gave me an extra 1yr lifespan. I know bariatric data is way pass giving 1 extra yr so......... its poop! Ha ha

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bon83

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

I noticed that, too. It's the same on the Q-risk2017 calculator.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Fleegle

Fleegle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine wasn't too bad - 4 years difference - but it did say I could expect to live another 20 years which is a good start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

Recently in cardiac ward and in out-patients for coronary angiogram more smokers had damaged hearts than diabetics. Prediabetic woman had atherosclerosis like me. I think diabetics have more artery problems than heart pressure from smoking long and hard numerous times a day and forcing pressure to the heart chambers unnaturally.
    Well that's what I could see with my own eyes. That is the only experience I have, thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'll give it a miss

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Heart age is 17 years older than what I am :wideyed:

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow.
    My actual age is 50
    By tweaking things I could adjust my calculated heart age by over 10 years. but I question the validity of several of their assumptions.

there was no option to factor in Triglycerides in Cholesterol, so I think that figure/calc is deeply suspect.
    they go for Total Cholesterol, with no recognition that the ratios are FAR more relevant than the total fig
    there was also no option to state whether you are a controlled diabetic, or not, and nothing to assess the extent of insulin resistance.
    the blood pressure treatment question is very vague - I mean, 'have you ever taken bp meds?' the possible answers for that are so varied that surely it makes the question pointless? PResumably 'yes for 3 months until I started exercising' would have different implications from 'yes, I am on 3 different meds for the last 15 years, and my bp is still uncontrolled'.

I did find it interesting that adjusting my weight from very obese to slim (a girl can wish) made astonishingly little difference compared with tweaking the (flawed) cholesterol numbers and the diabetes factors. But there is no reason for me to trust that, any more than I trust the rest of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Phew! You think I might see tomorrow then?
    On the plus side I can't wait to tell my 91 year old Aunt that instead of me looking after her she should be looking after me cos her heart is younger than mine. :hilarious: That's gonna go down real well;)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Let's keep our fingers crossed, eh?

Apparently, I will live to 84 if I skinnify down to a slim optimum, and
    82years if I stay bountifully curved.

I realise that 2 years is... well... 2 years. But the thought of all the aggro, deprivation, forced labour and misery involved in losing the weight isn't really motivating me. Especially when I factor in the requirement of 34 years of staying slim to keep the benefit!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Daibell

Daibell Type 1.5 · Expert

Hi. Most of these NHS algorithmic tests are daft and best ignored. Would you take too much advice from any organisation that recommends diabetics have lots of carbs in their meals?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  19. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bon83

I was shocked at how little impact smoking and weight had - the only thing that made the big jump in age was diabetes. I think it is suspect and has a hidden agenda. The nhs seems to favour scare tactics rather than education and innovation

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook