Night Time Bloods & Supper

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

So I was just looking for a little advice...

I'm on 22 Units of Tresiba in a morning
I'm on varied dosages of NovoRapid during the day (depending on what I'm eating). Carb Ratio 1:10

So if I'm say 5.5mmol before bed; I always have 2 wheetabix as supper before I sleep. Problem being is I end up being up around 8mmol in the morning? - Now this could be 2 things, either 'The Dawn Phenomenon" or the wheetabix with no NovoRapid taken (on purpose).

I've always had the wheetabix at night if I'm sub 6.0 because I'm terrified of having an overnight hypo. (Not had a full blown on yet (touch wood).

My overall question is are bloods likely to drop for no apparent reason during the night. My theory is that if the Long Acting insulin I'm on (The nurse claims works for the true 24 hours) is working away - then surely that's working through the night too to bring my sugars down?

Hope I've kinda explained where I'm coming from well enough lol :) - Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Weetabix is quite high carb - could you try eating just one to raise your levels and see if that stops you going up to 8?

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi not so lucky im on Novo rapid 46units 3times a day 8oclock+12oclock+5oclock and i also take lantus at bed time i used to go to bed with bs about 4to5 but after a few nighttime hypos diabetic team said try to keep sugars at about 7to8 before bed so if my morning sugars are about the same i don't worry much as i would rather them be this then having hypos in night so i would carry on with the weetabix and see how things go all the best.

Reactions: not-so-lucky

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
First off to have 2 weetabix pre bed without a bolus is quite a lot especially as you are effectively only raising a little without having any bolus...

So this would indicate that you would go low without it.

You have choices here:

Blood test every hour: or
Get a Libre....

With Tresiba you are likely to be flat until about 4am if you have DP... but it could mean that your body sinks and then surges up... so you need to find out.

Sorry, no other way but to test....or scan every hour...

Analyse those reaults and see if weetabix is needed.

Blimey, I would hate to have that routine of having to eat...

I reckon you will be going up anywhere from 4am onward...could be as late as 7am when rises start.

It really shouldnt be necessary to eat before bed without a bolus wvery night.

The idea of mdi is to give the patient some flexibility!! Not fix them in a routine of having to eat before bed every night of their life!!

(I do have to wake at 4.30am to do a correction bolus... so actually Mdi is not nice to me and I do have to have a blooming horrible routine each day!! Lol!!

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Still getting my head around it all to be fair and prefer to stay slightly higher but might set a 3am alarm for a few nights and see where I'm at ;) - Thanks for the response guys :D It could be my overall dosages are a little high or I need to lower the bolus and increase the basil during the day if I hypo during the night. Just don't like the idea of something happening in my sleep (without being mellow dramatic) - I'm looking after two elderly parents so can't afford to be conking out on them :D

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe I'm killing a fly with a sledgehammer in these early stages in this ninja artform of following my body around :D :D :D

Reactions: Dairygrade

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you getting on @not-so-lucky ?

Hi IckiHun :) - I'm not doing too badly, I've left a message which the diabetic clinic to call me back and waiting on them phoning me up, think Gill the nurse is on annual leave at the moment so waiting to hear back :) - But since going onto insulin I've rarely been above 9.0 mmol (my phone app predicts a HbA1C of 7.2 - which is a massive improvement from 12 months ago believe it or not) and waking up in the morning around 4-5mmol currently (which is good) - still having my supper without insulin and it seems to be doing the trick (I do love my evening munch haha).

The real fly in the ointment for me at the moment is I'm getting hard feeling under my feet when bear footed; t don't know what's causing that so it'll be another trip to the doctors after my holiday for a week this weekend.... Long overdue after caring for my parents full time for 6/7' years. I've been so busy looking after them I've forgotten about myself :/ - Anyhoo, what's done is done and just have to keep soldiering on.