Nights out/lager

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's people's experiences with nights out? I'm not much of a drinker but always enjoy a few beers during a rare night out. Is that possible now, or should I prepare for sobriety?

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
What's people's experiences with nights out? I'm not much of a drinker but always enjoy a few beers during a rare night out. Is that possible now, or should I prepare for sobriety?
Many T2s do enjoy a drink but a lot stick to a glass of wine (or three), which is relatively low-carb rather than beer .. which is commonly referred to as "liquid bread"
Check out the websites in the earlier e-mails that you have received .. the bottom line is that you have to make your own choices but there is plenty of info around to help you make your decisions
Hope this helps

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will endorse what @AM1974 states. I have largely given up the beer - just difficult to stop at one. I do find however that things get 'interesting' towards the end of the 3rd pint of wine ;)

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will endorse what @AM1974 states. I have largely given up the beer - just difficult to stop at one. I do find however that things get 'interesting' towards the end of the 3rd pint of wine ;)

Haha ok I'll have to do some experimenting!

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a serious note @spaxman there are some low(er) carb beers out there. Marstons Resolution, but that is only available in bottles. and I have yet to find it in a pub. Holsten Pils - 'All the sugar is turned into alcohol' and Coors Lite is probably the easiest to find

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anything alcoholic seems to lower my blood sugar- my lowest levels - in the low 4s have mostly been after alcohol whether it be wine, spirits or beer

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hi, I have only risked one gin and tonic and that was two days ago and it was fine. Remember one evening last year on a hot summers night sitting in the garden getting deliciously drunk (pre diabetic) on g&t maybe now it will only take 3 or 4! Haha.

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have only risked one gin and tonic and that was two days ago and it was fine. Remember one evening last year on a hot summers night sitting in the garden getting deliciously drunk (pre diabetic) on g&t maybe now it will only take 3 or 4! Haha.

Haha thank you. I guess I'll have to see how I get on by testing my bloods

Reactions: Hammer1964

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
When I go out I usually have 6 or 7 pints then spirits. My blood sugars always drop so I wake with a fasting BS of around 4. The thing to really be careful of is how quickly you get drunk when low carbing. Sometimes I will finish the night with kebab meat and salad. Definitely no breads pitta or otherwise.

Reactions: Julia99

Gazzamius

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

I love a beer guvnor. always have. i Have been diabetic for over 15 years now (T2DM) my favourite pint was stella artois. a beer that bites the back of your throat .... specially cold. and i am not one for stopping at one. but my BS were going through the roof. i hav emanaged to keep my diet very strict now. very LCHF and that is working. BUT.. the beer is my nemesis. i have now found a beer .... that i like very very much. and it's called Marstons Resolution. it has less than 2 grms of carbs per bottle.275 mil and 4.7 by volume. i have been drinking this all week. i ordered 5 cases. 24 bottles a case. . if you order online from classic ales and buy 3 cases £56 you pay NO postage .... so it's around £19 a case.... not bad for 12 pints. and guess what. my blood sugars have never spiked above 8 mmols. some morning i was waking up and getting 24's and above mmols..... stella days are over. this is the messiah beer for diabetics. but you gotta eat sensible tho. LCHF is the way to go. you are not going to lose weight with this beer but the insulin will keep your blood within reasonable levels, instead of all over the place. CHEERS !!