no added sugar Thornton chocolates

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The no added sugar chocolates often have significantly more carbs than normal chocolate

Sainsburys no added sugar dark chocolate has over 32g carbs per 100g and polyols for sweetness I thought is tasted a bit waxy and off - like really cheap chocolate

Sainsburys taste the difference 85% dark chocolate has 16.8g carbs per 100g (tastes nice and comes in 5 small bars in the 100g pack)

Lindt 90% has 14g carbs per 100g tastes nice

Tesco finest swiss 85% has about 18g carbs per 100g tastes nice

Hotel Chocolat has a less sweet / higher coco solids chocolates and some have the carb content on the website, I have been told by staff in my local store that all will have cab contents on by end of year.

In my opinion the high coco solid chocolate bars is so much nicer than the no added sugar diabetic stuff, and the hotel chocolate less sweet selection is very good. just need to check labels and test to see how it affects you.

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
My daughter went all over to try get me some Thorntans chocolates at christams, she was very upset that she could not get me some treats, I told her to get the 30% ones but she said they not the ones she used to buy me bless her....so can anyone tell me just how the 30% chocolates they sell now differ from the other sugar free ones?

LunaCrystal

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tried the chocologic and thought it tasted okay. Less cheap tasting than the sainsbury one.

Annie253

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning. How many of you used to have the odd chocolate No Added Sugar, from Thorntons. I had some for Xmas and read the ingredients which contained Polyols which allows us type 2 's to have a treat and lovely chocolates they were. As we all know, polyols is the stuff that can cause a laxative effect if we have too much products containing it. But that is up to us how much we choose to eat, and I,m sure we all eat sensibly when it comes to our treats. I went to Thorntons yesterday. No added sugar has been removed and is now 30% less sugar and the reason for this I was told, is because the Diabetes UK have said we can have all things in moderation ( no we can't) and they asked for the polyols to be removed from the chocolates. I read the nutritional info and of course guess what, we type 2,s cannot have their chocolates any more if we are on low carbs. It reads like ordinary choc bars but with 30% less sugar. I was so infuriated when I was told it was the DB UK who made that decision. Not only do they try and kill us off with the carb laden well being plate, now we can,t have our treats. Boots were asked to remove the word Diabetic from their labels. They are now called No Added Sugar and guess what, they have Polyols in them. How long before they get told to change the recipe !! Rant over this morning. Enjoy your day folks and remember, no choccies for us from Thorntons. Go to Boots.
Last summer I went into the Thorntons shop in Clarks Village at Street and was indeed told the same thing. I expressed my disappointment that Thornton's don't produce any chocolate with Stevia vegetable sugar which is safe for diabetics. I was really shocked when the Manageress told me she had just been to a conference with her employer and they have trained their staff to promote the less sugar bars as being safe for duabetics and stevia to be dangerous. She even had the audacity to try and tell me that stevia sugar included a warning that diabetics shouldn't use it. I actually returned to the shop half an hour later to show her information on the Internet to disprove what she has been told. I assume that Thorntons are heavily influenced by the sugar companies. I won't buy anything from them anymore for anyone....having said that their chocolate wasn't very nice anyway! Cavalier chocolates produce a lovely stevia range if you want an occasional treat.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tescos do something called "chocologic" which claims to be "no added sugar". Sweeteners are "erythritol, steviol glycosides", and the nutritionals say it's 20.9 percent sugars. Still can't have much, but at least it tastes like milk chocolate, not that bitter dark stuff.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Moser Roth 70 % Dark chocolate from Aldi has 30 g of carbs per 100g including 28g sugar. it comes in 5 individualiy wrapped bars each containing 7.6g carbs/ 7.1g sugar. Doesn't taste too bad either.

toscamo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find that the 'no added sugar' chocolates have a strange aftertaste, luckily I've never suffered any laxative side effects. Sainsbury's own 85% chocolate has lower sugar content than the Lindt version so I go for that as a treat, or a few 100% cocoa choc drops from Hotel Chocolat (the choc drops work out much cheaper than the bars)

observer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks,
I don't know if any one is interested but being a bit of an extremist I go to our local Montezuma chocolate shop, or you can buy from them on Amazon, and I get their 100 % cocoa chocolate buttons. No any thing other than cocoa but an acquired taste.
They have other lovely high cocoa content chocolate in lots of different forms and are extremely helpful and understanding. They also run competitions some times for new ideas for chocolate bars so we have a chance of getting them to make things to our standards or I should say needs. Any flavours are considered. They have chilli, marmite, lime, geranium, sea salt and lots of other things. Worth a look if you can't do without chocolate.
Hope I have been of use!

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I shall check that site out..thankyou :p

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I like Marmite but Marmite flavoured chocolate a step to far I think.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Montezuma is lovely chocolate (I remember it ..!), I will have to check out their range again

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that the 'no added sugar' chocolates have a strange aftertaste, luckily I've never suffered any laxative side effects. Sainsbury's own 85% chocolate has lower sugar content than the Lindt version so I go for that as a treat, or a few 100% cocoa choc drops from Hotel Chocolat (the choc drops work out much cheaper than the bars)

I tried Hotel Chocolat but the carb content was not shown. I also tried Thorntons in Birmingham and got a not very helpful assistant who couldn't understand why I wanted low carb.

Babybearjane

Simply shows that it's best to be well informed about food and read food lables carefully - the ingredients list / small print, not the slogans on the front. I prefer to eat smaller quanities of good quality chocolate, rather than spend the same amount of money on cheaper chocolate.
ImI not really a Chocolate eater, it just does not appeal to me. I would love to try some Diabetic chocolate, unfortunately I have severe NUT allergies. So I have to read every ingredient on every package, in can be quite daunting but it has to be done
HELP!!!!!!!!!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Boots do some no added sugar chocolates they are yummy