No food and jobseekers...

cassi444

Hi
My nephew is diabetic and has put in a fast track application for jobseekers. In the meantime, he has no food, no money, and I am in a similar position, and can't help financially.
What does he do? I have found a food bank, but the job centre can't refer him until his money comes through...what can he do in the meantime??? He could die. He lives alone. He has some support, but it's mostly just listening to him...
I have made an appointment with his doctor for today, as I am really worried about him. Is there anything else I can do/he can do??? I can't believe they are happy for him to have no money, while he waits, when he is dependant on food to survive..
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@cassi444 Has he asked the job centre for an advance payment while he waits? If not, give them a call, explain the situation and request one.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@cassi444 I'm really sorry, and appalled, to hear of your nephew's predicament. I don't know much about how the benefits' system works now. I can only suggest he also sees the local Citizen's Advice Bureau (if there is one nearby) to get advice. I believe they can also give him a referral to a Food Bank, though I'm not sure about that.
I hope he gets some help soon.

Reactions: Brunneria

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
It's not a long term solution, but if you have a Sikh temple nearby, they have a community kitchen (Langar) which is genuinely open to all, where he can get a decent meal each day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-31557192

Also, 'Dumpster diving' outside supermarkets can be very production and doesn't have to be risky or unhygienic at all. They throw perfectly good food away every day.

I truly sympathise, I've been in that situation but luckily could walk a few miles to my Gran's and she always helped me out with a meal. The spoiled brats in charge of government cannot even comprehend what it is to be desperate and not have a rich parent to fall back on.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi
My nephew is diabetic and has put in a fast track application for jobseekers. In the meantime, he has no food, no money, and I am in a similar position, and can't help financially.
What does he do? I have found a food bank, but the job centre can't refer him until his money comes through...what can he do in the meantime??? He could die. He lives alone. He has some support, but it's mostly just listening to him...
I have made an appointment with his doctor for today, as I am really worried about him. Is there anything else I can do/he can do??? I can't believe they are happy for him to have no money, while he waits, when he is dependant on food to survive..
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Ben...able-funds/What-help-do-charitable-funds-give

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm sure I heard some where that a GP can refer to the food bank too, not sure if that's true.

C

catherinecherub

I'm sure I heard some where that a GP can refer to the food bank too, not sure if that's true.
Yes, G.P.s can give a letter to take to food banks.
Applying for grants/discretionary payments takes time and the help is needed now.

Reactions: Prem51

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@cassi444 the CAB can issue him with a Foodbank voucher.

Our Foodbank recently moved to the same place as the CAB - so if people turn up without a voucher but in need of food we can just direct them next door! The Foodbank's own guidelines permit the supply of a 24-hour emergency box containing food for a day's worth of meals for the number of people in the household, if your nephew is unable to get a voucher but is able to get to the Foodbank.

The Foodbank is a fantastic resource. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm asking anyone reading this to please, if you can stretch to it, see if you can buy an extra tin or packet of something when you go shopping - just every so often - most supermarkets have a Foodbank collection bin post-checkout.

Often on display on collection bins is a 'shopping list', because a 3-day emergency food supply from the Foodbank contains specific items, things like tinned meat, UHT milk, juice, pasta, rice etc - but there is also need for loo rolls, shampoo etc, and things for the 'treats' table.

Foodbanks pack food for clients in supermarket carrier bags. At ours, volunteers tend to take their badges off before helping clients carry their shopping outside. These are two very valuable things that help to remove any stigma which may be perceived by clients.

I hope your nephew will find a warm welcome, a cuppa and someone to chat with at the Foodbank while his food is packed for him. Consideration is made for those with any specific dietary requirements.

Hope he is able to get hold of a voucher soon. I wish him all the best.

We find locally that people are generous with their donations, and the warehouse is well-stocked. Post-Harvest-Festival - around now - this is particularly the case.

To anyone - if you need a supply of food, please don't think twice. The Foodbank will be able to help with food, and volunteers have information to signpost clients on to various services and facilities which might be able to assist them regarding other (non-food-related) issues.

(Edited lots to add stuff I'd missed out.)

Love Snapsy
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I do symphise as when I applied for ESA, I had to wait for some money. I was lucky that when I was working, that I had been saving my 2 pound coins so had some money to use.
I have heard alot recently about the amount if time it takes to process a claim.
I would urge to go to the food bank. I have used them once, the only downfall I found as being type 2, is that I was given some food that I could not eat because of being diabetic like pasta, sugar laden juice and sugar coated cereals.
A gp can issue a voucher for the food bank as can the CAB

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have or have you tried the Salvation Army? They might be able to assist with a food parcel and/or provide a hot meal.

If your nephew is not eligible for a short term benefit advance he can try and request a Same Day Payment when he provides his first fortnightly signing declaration. He will need to ask and make his Work Coach aware that he needs one. This means the payment will credit his bank account by the end of the working day, rather than waiting the standard 3 working days before any JSA credits.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
So sad that people these days are having to live like this especialy when they have diabtetes...omg what would you do if had no food and was having an hypo....maybe the diabetes society should put together some emergency food parcels??