No longer diabetic

CzukayFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What can I say ... diagnosed over 4 years ago , low carb diet for over 3 and now my Dr has said I'm no longer a diabetic . Great news I hear you shout but you know what I am diabetic , I may be in a sort of remission BUT to say that I'm no longer a diabetic isn't right .
I don't want to be told I'm not a diabetic , I've go no will power , I only do low carb because I don't want to feel **** and doing low carb stops me feeling ****.
I am proud that I have the knowledge and skills to control my BS, I also know that if I eat high carb for any length of time my BS spikes .
de193bfd2d8e97cb263fdfbd163ea03d.jpg
4e39b2918bf34e2ec778953bde15d176.jpg
73b07a4bc325dc64794baadde3f3bf7d.jpg

I've attached my project plan that some of you will already have seen . It works for me , I'm not saying that it will work for everyone though . Diabetes is very much an individual person specific condition.

CzukayFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's fantastic and coincidentally I was told the same thing by my doctor today. My A1C in my recent test came back at 5.8 so I was thrilled to finally get it under 6. Similar to you, I was diagnosed just over 5 years ago and I immediately changed my lifestyle, not that it was terrible before, but I started cutting down on carbs and exercising. I was doing fairly well, better than most people but my goal was to have normal readings, not "good for a diabetic" readings and I refused to use medications to achieve that.
I discovered the Keto diet 5 months ago and found drastic improvement as I went deeper into Ketosis and learned and understood more about it. I now train with weights 5-6 days a week and eat less than 30 grams of carbs per day. I've always weighed around 120 lbs since I was a teenager and am still the same weight at 55 years old, yet I eat 2500-3000 calories a day, mostly fat so I'm definitely not starving. I would recommend this approach for anyone serious about controlling their diabetes, it's not a cure despite what my doctor said, if I eat carbs I'm right back where I started from but I'll take remission any day.

Rob_E

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done Jamrox! I've just done 2 weeks of the 8-week low carb, 800-cal diet and my bloods are now in the normal range but it's good to know that it can be maintained without medication.

Grounded

Great stuff, I wish that my GP would say the same.
It has been 6 months now with readings all in the non diabetic range (mean FBG 4.5, all 2 hour pp readings under 6.0, usually under 5.0) with no meds at all. Even high carb meals like pasta or porridge appear to have little or no effect. HbA1c now 32.

However, apparently I am diabetic for life whatever readings I get. Nothing, of course, to do with extra cash GPs receive for diabetic patients,

Quite right - once they've got you by the short and curlies they will not let go. It's like the Hotel California - you can check-in but can never check-out, even if the check-in was dubious in the first place.

£3000 a diabetic I read once - no wonder you'll never be free.

verdesca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none. very easy going
my last HbA1c was in February and I was declared non diabetic. Thought, "that's a bit borderline" but nevertheless I was elated. The elation lasted about three days and then reality kicked in. Currently, very little has changed for me. There's a lot to be said for eating simple and staying watchful. Works for me

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GP has signalled that I am no longer diabetic. Metformin dosage halved. I am not so sure that that is a good idea.

Allic1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done its a big achievement! and like your doctor mine said the same 2 years ago.. i went down to 1 x1000mg metformin a day...but him saying i was no longer a diebetic was like having a licence to eat what i wanted...

My next blood test came back a little higher so back i went to the low carb diet and back to 2 metformin. Ive been following a low carb diet, eating home made cereal bars or steel cut oats...having home made soup...i even turned to being a vegetarian 4 days a week and cutting out alcohol...

My blood test came back yesyerday, although ive lost weight another 4kgs down my blood test came back at 7.7 8 months ago it was only 6.4...my cholesterol has gone up too so it looks like my pancreas is slowly giving up on me. I've now been prescribed Januvia 100mg and have to go for a calcium score and a CT coronary angiogram.

I will never beat this its for life and i just have to work out how to manage it.

Good luck everyone.

Syd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite right - once they've got you by the short and curlies they will not let go. It's like the Hotel California - you can check-in but can never check-out, even if the check-in was dubious in the first place.

£3000 a diabetic I read once - no wonder you'll never be free.

I'd be interested to know where you got this figure from, or indeed any figure which shows that GPs are paid a per capita payment for every T2 diabetes patient on their books.

After a bit of googling, I found this from 2009
http://www.drbriffa.com/2009/03/13/...regarding-diabetes-doing-more-harm-than-good/
which has a reference to a payment of £3000 for every practice which manages to get half its T2 patients to achieve a Hba1C of under 7% (now 53 mmol/mol). But this is not per patient but per practice, which obviously is a very different thing.

HeathKick2017

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jamrox - Great result.

I remember you doing your goal setting exercise a while back, and thinking how organised you are.

I have been removed from the diabetes register at my surgery. I didn't ask for it, but agreed to it, when it was suggested. To be honest, I agreed to it to stop all those outrageous conversations where the words, ".... that'll be due to your diabetes....", feature. You know the ones I mean - everything from a cold to the plague becoming attributable.

I still have an annual HbA1c, have my retinopathy scan, and have access to my doc and so on. The only thing I don't routinely have is a formal review, but I do that with myself from time to time, and nor do I have my feet checked. But I only once had had my feet checked during the time I was on the register, and I paid for that, just after diagnosis (I as going abroad for a few moths and wanted it done.)

I haven't found coming off the register has made me complacent, in fact, I might say it has done the reverse. Whilst the vast majority of people are either very pleased for me, or disinterested (in the scheme of things), some are just waiting for me to trip up and for it all to go terribly wrong. I'm sure we all have someone like that in our lives?

The last thing I'll be doing is proving them right, without a good fight!

Again congratulations on doing so well. Whilst I always say that diabetes isn't a solo sport (in that it inevitably impacts those close to us as well as ourselves), only we can do the work to turn in the results.
Can I please ask how you achieved remission? I’m a newbie and would like to follow your path

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I please ask how you achieved remission? I’m a newbie and would like to follow your path

Hi there

I reversed my T2 by eating to my meter. In other words, I bought a blood glucose meter and tested before eating, then 2 hours later to explore the impact of various things in my diet. I recorded the results, alongside what I had eaten.

If the after figure was high, I tried to work out what it was that caused that, then either reduce or exclude that dish or element.

Over a brief period my blood sugar numbers came down and I got very slim.

That pretty much sums it up.

Reactions: Alison Campbell