No one understands

Lottiej1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else have friends that just dont understand your diabetes?
so you end up feeling more alone than ever?

Reactions: Dod95

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey @Lottiej1991
that is certainly the case in my experience , which is why the forum is such a great place.

we can tell people that understand how we feel what is happening and will get support and not blank looks or unhelpful advice.

perhaps you could hook up with the London T1D meet ups if you are close to the capitol.
I will tag @Type1Bri for his support !!
there is also a group meeting up in Cardiff too.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have found that nobody is interested beyond knowing and not having diabetes.
Until it affects them!

Reactions: Jonno1980

Dod95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are cancer survivors, people that had babies, others have lost a child or others that are missing limbs. We're all broken somehow and we connect with people that understand how we feel. Who else could we connect with? I won't let being diabetic define me, it's too small a thing and I'm a lot more than that.

And here's a funny thought. If I could go back 11 years and choose to not have diabetes what would I choose? I wouldn't change it. It has made me a much better person.

How diabetes made you a better person? :/

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
These feelings shouldn't last forever.....

Eventually the diabetes just becomes part of you and you deal with it on your own and no one else is needed.....

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How diabetes made you a better person? :/
I can't speak for No2D, but for me it's helped me be more compassionate towards others - diabetes is an individual disease where no one treatment works for all, which makes you stop and think and consider other aspects. I take better care of myself now than I ever have. I understand more about how the body works thanks to diabetes. It's teaching me coping skills and the importance of routine and eating to what my body needs. It makes me proud knowing I'm doing the best I can even on days wher everything goes to ****. It taught me to trust my own gut feeling and to trust my body's signals, and to fight for what I feel is right when it comes to doctors and treatments. I'm not sure if I'd be like that if I hadn't been diagnosed a couple of years ago, to be honest. I even think that if there was a cure being offered to me, I'd probably refuse and continue living with diabetes. It has many downsides but it's also one hell of an invaluable teacher.

Not to mention it brings communities like this together. I feel fondly for many regular members on this forum even though they are basically total strangers to me. That's worth a lot to me, too.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@DaftThoughts
well said !!
it helps me to walk in other persons shoes for a while.

HasanG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have friends that are pretty supportive and of course we do joke about diabetes. You might not be surrounding yourself with helpful people. But I completely agree there are some people that don't care until it affects them.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Yes - particularLy when I was first diagnosed. I was upset and angry, yet they kind of thought it was just a small inconvenience and didn't understand what it was like to be Type 1.they thought it was just some kind of diet thing.

Is there anything in particular that they're not getting or that's upsetting you @Lottiej1991 ?

Reactions: Ishi

JamesC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a lot of people around me that know i have it but don't really understand it too well. I could try to explain a bit better but it'd be of no use. This forum is great for people like us to connect and to be able to speak with those who do understand what it's like to live with. You've just got to remember that you mustn't let it define you, there are much worse things out there to live with. Ultimately it's made me a better person, I'm much more understanding of other people and when i face challenges in life i can shrug it off easily. Just hang in here.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Only diabetics really understand the emotional upheavals that the condition creates. Shallow lives create shallow understanding. Do you think these people could cope? I think not!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I have friends that are pretty supportive and of course we do joke about diabetes. You might not be surrounding yourself with helpful people. But I completely agree there are some people that don't care until it affects them.
None shall be as blind as those who do not see. Complacency is the stumbling block of awareness.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As it happens my best mate has been T2 for 15 years. A lot longer than me when I found out he was diabetic I researched it quite a bit but it did not come close to when I became diabetic funny thing is when I did he wouldn't believe it for quite a while.

I used to make him Tia Maria coffee at Christmas with sweeteners now I make it for both of us.:)

nuttynay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in January 19th this year , and yes it has shocked me and people don't understand the condition until they have it. But I think it makes you more of a stronger person to accept what you have and dont let it break you.
If your friends dont get you then I dont think they can be true friends to listen to your concerns.

Nathan

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in January 19th this year , and yes it has shocked me and people don't understand the condition until they have it. But I think it makes you more of a stronger person to accept what you have and dont let it break you.
If your friends dont get you then I dont think they can be true friends to listen to your concerns.

Nathan
Well said. I've been lucky, as I am surrounded by a crew who stand with me when I fall below par. Christmas Eve, while on shift, I suffered a massive hypo (2.1), the team supported me until I recovered. It was very touching.

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There's always someone or a group of people who will truly understands you. We are in a real world which is full of uncertainties, circumstances, trials and other problems you call it. What matter's most is you have to be strong enough to deal with it and handle it with courage and faith. Your parents and family are your number 1 supporters, they are really those who cares of you from the very beginning so you don't say no one understands you with your disease. Friends are just the next support group you can count on. You can also share your side here on the forum since there are lots of people here who can understand you when it comes to your disease.

I must say, you must be thankful at least that you were still able to fight for your condition and do some improvements coupled with extra care in your health since there are those people who are suffering from severe illnesses yet they are still hoping that they can survive from death. Just think positive and do not lean on people who cannot understand you.

Reactions: Rakhi_gohil