Noctura Sleep mask for diabetic retinopathy

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @letsy

I have been wearing the mask for 15 months now and it does not disrupt my sleep pattern.
the green OLED light in the mask disappears to the eye after about 4-5 seconds.
your best bet is to talk directly to the people at Noctura - they are very helpful and friendly.
www.noctura.com

Reactions: Trishhh and letsy

Jacob2877

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @letsy

I have been wearing the mask for 15 months now and it does not disrupt my sleep pattern.
the green OLED light in the mask disappears to the eye after about 4-5 seconds.
your best bet is to talk directly to the people at Noctura - they are very helpful and friendly.
www.noctura.com

Thanks - Can i ask how your eyes are now after 15 months of use? I read your reports from about 7-8 months ago but I am wondering how things are now. Also, do you think it is coincidence, if your eyes are doing better, that it is just because of your laser treatment and/shots in the eye - or do you truly feel the mask has helped you? Thanks for answering!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hi there Jacob
tried to PM you -- you won't accept PM's
in answer to your queries I am seeing small amounts of improvement at each 3 monthly mask change.

my last laser treatment was 3 1/2 years ago and injections were in the summer of 2013.

Reactions: Trishhh

Jacob2877

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi there Jacob
tried to PM you -- you won't accept PM's
in answer to your queries I am seeing small amounts of improvement at each 3 monthly mask change.

my last laser treatment was 3 1/2 years ago and injections were in the summer of 2013.
Hey, that's cool - could we talk further?

Moderator edit to remove email address.

Last edited by a moderator:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
i will answer any queries you have here on the forum for now - i don't give out email details

Jacob2877

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Picked up my mask this week from Swindon! - Just started. It is interesting - does anyone who first started wearing it feel like when they awoke in the middle of the night it was really daylight. In other words, it's not bad - but wondering if it takes time getting more used to it? Thanks him too.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
the green light "disappears" to your eyes after about 5 seconds and you don't really see it.
others can see the green glow emanating from you

jacob- did they take pictures of your eyes ?
did they do OCT scans as well. ??

Jacob2877

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the green light "disappears" to your eyes after about 5 seconds and you don't really see it.

I have everything done in my country so i will be in contact with them periodically. They did a fundus exam and saw typical what my retina guy saw. - Mild Non Proliferative - and some dot and blot hemmorages.. - However, they did not dialate my eyes - my doctor has seen more leaks, and some early neovascularization on my right eye - wants to treat. I asked my doctor if we could start with injection first, to reduce abnormal vessels vs. laser and he said yes. Then, I am hoping with the good bg control, exercise, and the noctura - i can keep it at bay....

your thoughts?

Jacob2877

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I had everything done in the US. Basically, they (outside clinic in swindon) did photo my eyes but did not dialate them. He did an exam and saw background retinopathy. However, my retina doc here says i have an area on the periphal of my right eye that is starting to grow abnormal vessels and would require treatment. I asked him about the option of starting with a shot of Avastin instead of a section of laser treatment and he said yes that would be fine, but it might be temporary. However, with the mask and my good control I am hoping that I may not need further treatment. How are the injections, for right now my vision is fine and I have no problems. But it's what is going on in the back of my eye that requires treating! LOL.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have everything done in my country so i will be in contact with them periodically. They did a fundus exam and saw typical what my retina guy saw. - Mild Non Proliferative - and some dot and blot hemmorages.. - However, they did not dialate my eyes - my doctor has seen more leaks, and some early neovascularization on my right eye - wants to treat. I asked my doctor if we could start with injection first, to reduce abnormal vessels vs. laser and he said yes. Then, I am hoping with the good bg control, exercise, and the noctura - i can keep it at bay....

your thoughts?
sounds a good plan and obviously you are thinking things through

IzzyWhizzy

Hi everyone, my husband has just started with the Noctura. He is a light sleeper and is worried it will slip off at night. Can you experienced users give any advice re sleeping on your side/front, how to fit it? Any tips very gratefully received!
Thanks!!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi there @IzzyWhizzy
welcome to the forum. :)
I have worn the mask for 16 months and as the strap on the back of the head is adjustable it is really just a matter of trying it at a certain tightness and if it is off by morning ( or the middle of the night) it just needs a bit more tightening until it doesn't.

I found that it does exert a bit of pressure on the bridge of my nose so I cust some of the foam covering back to assist in making the nose opening slightly wider( this does help with the breathing ).

I am a fairly restless sleeper and have had to fiddle with it a bit when i roll over at night.

hope this helps !!

IzzyWhizzy

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I have read your experience with the mask with interest and am glad it has made such a difference to you. Fingers crossed for us! The first thing he said was about the bridge of his nose so we shall get trimming this evening!
Kind regards

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

@IzzyWhizzy

Just a thought, but it might be possible to reduce the worry about the mask slipping by placing piece of thin silicone under the bridge of the mask which should ensure the mask doesnt slip. £land stores are selling thin black silicone skins for the Nintendo DS which can be used. My partner is using one as a watch strap to enable his heart rate monitor to be wrapped around the handlebars of his bike as it doesnt go brittle. The other alternative is to look at the warrior safety glasses for the building industry (ebay) for £3 as they have a removable silicon nose piece.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I saw my consultant today and asked him his opinion on these masks - he thinks they are good and that the trials have shown good results although it is still early days.
He said that an alternative is to sleep with a side/night light on or with the curtains open as any light in the room whilst you are asleep will have a positive effect.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Patrick
I have had good progress with mine - good luck !!

all the best !!

Reactions: 4 people

Jacob2877

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Himtoo, could you update us since your last appointment. I am really curious. I will be going for my follow up in 2 weeks after using the mask since February. Specifically, are you noticing healing? Or is it just keeping the eye from getting worse? I also would encourage you if possible to join the Facebook group, we would love to have you share as well on that page! I understand if you can't. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Himtoo, could you update us since your last appointment. I am really curious. I will be going for my follow up in 2 weeks after using the mask since February. Specifically, are you noticing healing? Or is it just keeping the eye from getting worse? I also would encourage you if possible to join the Facebook group, we would love to have you share as well on that page! I understand if you can't. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Jacob
sorry for not posting an update
I went for my 6 monthly review last friday ( 6th May)
Consultant says macular layer continues to lessen in thickness and the odema ( right next to retina) has shrunk a bit in size as well. Protein deposits from former bleeds continue to dissipate.
She wants to see me again in 6 months -- which I take as a good sign.
mask change is coming up again soon. ( next 2 -3 weeks )

Reactions: 2 people

Jacob2877

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Himtoo. How many months total have you been using the mask? Based on what you shared, it sounds like you have experienced consistent positive results with the mask and that you have not needed any other treatments since being on the mask? No laser and No injections?