Type 2 Non diabetic bg

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone who is non diabetic have have bg above 9 2 hours after eating ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends what they ate. Most non diabetics will be well below that by 2 hours, but if the meal contained a mass of carbs and sweet stuff, maybe not.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can someone who is non diabetic have have bg above 9 2 hours after eating ?

Yes!
Simple answer!
And it is possible to go even higher during a OGTT!
It all depends on what you ate and how it reacts to your digestive system. And how high in the glycaemic index that food is and of course how much!
There is a symptom called dumping syndrome. This is where all food is converted to glucose within half an hour!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As more CGM studies becomes available...we may get a better picture of what is normal glucose response.

But here is one study of healthy subjects...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769652/
In our study, tissue glucose concentrations in nondiabetic subjects were below 140 mg/dl during 99.2% of the total day, whereas other studies investigating continuous glucose profiles in type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients demonstrated that glucose concentrations were above 140 mg/dl during about 60% of the total day24 or above 180 mg/dl during about 30% of the total day,25 respectively.

dst-01-0695-g001.jpg

And another
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2699703/
zdc0070976500001.jpg

Fluctuation of blood glucose within 70–140 mg/dl accounted for 93 ± 8% of the total day for the 434 subjects. PT140 and PT70 were 4.1 ± 5.8% and 2.4 ± 5.3%, respectively. Approximately 60% of subjects (n = 260) experienced blood glucose ≥140 mg/dl, with a percentage of cumulative time duration of 6.8 ± 6.1%. Eight subjects (1.8%) experienced blood glucose ≥200 mg/dl, with the longest episode lasting 45 min. The cumulative time of blood glucose ≥200 mg/dl for these subjects was 37 ± 18 min. Blood glucose ≤70 mg/dl was detected in 176 (41%) subjects and blood glucose ≤50 mg/dl in 24 subjects (5.5%). The cumulative time duration for blood glucose ≤70 mg/dl accounted for 5.9 ± 7.0% of the day, and the cumulative time for blood glucose ≤50 mg/dl was 30 ± 26 min, lasting for 5–30 min each episode.

Last edited:
Reactions: grante

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Those numbers indicate that the person are pre-diabetic.

A non-diabetic should never get readings above 7.8 mmol 2 hours after eating.
Also the blood sugar will not under most circrumstanses raise above 11.2 if you're not diabetic and healthy, not even under a OGTT.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Really ? How would they know .. how many non diabetics test after eating?

1) Beacuse any reading above 11.2 mmol with typical symptoms are enough to give someone the diagnosis of diabetes. So very unlikely that a non-diabetic get readings above 11.2 mmol when that quelifies for diabetes.

2) Must admit that I (and others I know) sometimes test friends or family members for "fun", and I uselly never see reading above 7 mmol even if they have eaten cake or sweets.

3) Anyone who get more them 7.8 mmol after an OGTT are diagnosed as pre-diabetic.

Based on all that I would say it is unlikely to get high readings without being pre-diabetic. Its a reason they have these references and numbers for diagnosis. In medical terms you're pre-diabetic if you get 9 mmol after 2 hours.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers indicate that the person are pre-diabetic.

A non-diabetic should never get readings above 7.8 mmol 2 hours after eating.
Also the blood sugar will not under most circrumstanses raise above 11.2 if you're not diabetic and healthy, not even under a OGTT.

My non-diabetic husband had a homemade meat and spud pie with gravy, followed by rice pudding and a biscuit. The portion sizes were big. (very big!)
Before he was 4.7
at 1 hour 10.2
at 2 hours 8.0

His HbA1c was 36 and FBG is always low 4s.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
And that's why the hbA1c is better to get done for non diabetics to check their average sugar levels. I just had a colleague recently get called in by doc because his hbA1c was 20% so for a non diabetic that he thought he was his average sugar readings would've been 29.2 on average... yeh a shock for him. But he tried to tell me it's because he had a morning tea with sweet stuff the day before the test and that's why he got a high reading... I said no no hbA1c looks at past 60 days average.

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Grante.

It is possible but, like the others have said, depending what you have eaten, the amount in volume, and calorie content, ie dessert if any.

Also stress levels, colds and anything your body is trying to heal as well, for example injuries or tooth ache. It's all relative.

It's what we in the community call "spiked levels".

Maybe check again later on, after a different meal to see if the results are the same.

Just remember we are all unique, your different to everyone else here, I don't know your weight, your lifestyle, your health, any medication your on blah blah blah..... This all counts to a generalisation of your symptoms.

If your worried that much, go get professional advice and book yourself in for a check up.

That's the only way for sure you will know. Good luck.