Non-diabetic getting high blood sugar after eating pasta

laylakate98

hi, I'm a thin and active 19 year old girl who hasn't been feeling great, so I've been testing my blood sugar as diabetes type 2 runs in my family. I've noticed that for up to an hour and a half of eating bread and pasta, my blood sugar is as high as 180. It's always below 140 after 2ish hours, sometimes even back down to 110. I haven't found other foods that cause this, just white carbs. Is this cause for concern? Thanks!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @laylakate98
I can understand your concern with Diabetes running in your family.

those numbers are not really an issue as long as your before meal is below 100 and 4 hours post meal is back around the 100 area.

best bet if you are really concerned is to get to your doctor and have a glucose tolerance test -- that should let you know for sure.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, I'm a thin and active 19 year old girl who hasn't been feeling great, so I've been testing my blood sugar as diabetes type 2 runs in my family. I've noticed that for up to an hour and a half of eating bread and pasta, my blood sugar is as high as 180. It's always below 140 after 2ish hours, sometimes even back down to 110. I haven't found other foods that cause this, just white carbs. Is this cause for concern? Thanks!
What was you baseline?
I think you are right to be worried. The sensible thing to do is to stop eating starchy and sugary things, and keeping a keen eye on how your blood sugar behaves. I come from a diabetic family too. I developed diabetes just before 50, before that I rarely had BG above 5.6. The good thing is that monitoring BG is so easy these days, which helps a lot.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

You're obviously worried @laylakate98 as you've posted a similar thread about meal results.

The best thing to do is to see a doctor and get some proper tests.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If eating bread and pasta is making you feel bad then avoid eating it. Some of your numbers seem to be OK, but you might find you are pre-diabetic if you have a HbA1C blood sugar test.

Reactions: Robbity

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of us who are diabetic try to keep our blood sugars under 7.8 at all times because that seems ti be the level that damage begins . It would seem logical for everyone to heed those levels diabetic or not . So maybe cut back the white carbs

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Well, stop eating that stuff!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
180 & 140 are far out of my range. I agree with @NoCrbs4Me. Stop eating it. We all need to stop eating some of our beloved foods if we want good numbers. There are other very tasty foods and alternatives that work Micah better.

Try lettuce wraps instead of bread and cauliflower rice instead of pasta. Or just eat the food minus bread and pasta.

Reactions: Pura Vida
Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey all I’m a larger lady aged 40 none diabetic at last test but with family history, my blood sugar using around 4-5 but today 5 hours after eating it’s still 8.7, it was pasta salad and vegan chicken, could pasta still keep it raised after 5 hours

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all I’m a larger lady aged 40 none diabetic at last test but with family history, my blood sugar using around 4-5 but today 5 hours after eating it’s still 8.7, it was pasta salad and vegan chicken, could pasta still keep it raised after 5 hours
The pasta can have quite an effect but vegan fake meats often have a lot of carbs and then there is any sauce to consider too. Typically we measure 2 hrs after but it can take even non diabetic people longer on occasion to get back to premeal levels. As a one off I wouldn’t worry. If it’s a repeated pattern thn maybe it’s not such a good thing to choose and you may want to ask for an hba1c to see the overall situation.

Food isn’t the only thing that can raise levels, even though the most common. A infection or illness, a vaccination, lack of sleep, stress, exertion, even temperature can raise levels too.

Reactions: EllieM

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The typical profile of someone without any type of metabolic concerns is that there is a quick spike in glucose levels, which may go up to 180mg/dl/10mmol/l before dropping back very quickly (very quickly means usually within 10 mins or so). If levels remain elevated above around 8/145 for a couple of hours, it suggests that there may be some form of metabolic issue, and I'd recommend going to your doctor off the back of the data you have. The idea that glucose levels return to normal four hours after meals as mentioned previously really only applies in Type 1 with exogenous insulin, due to the differences between how pancreatic and injected insulin work.

In the interim period, eating fewer carbs would stop that happening, but you probably should get it checked out anyway.