Normal fasting but higher postprandial

tashkent81

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all,

I was having a dry mouth a few days and got worried it might be the blood sugar and went to check. The results came out:

Fasting - 95 mg/dl (normal <99)
After 2nd hour of taking 75 g glucose - 142 mg/dl (normal <140, prediabetes 141 - 199, diabetes >200)

I am a male, 37 years old, office employee, my BMI is 34.

Do I have pre diabetes based on results above? As I am a bit confused since fasting is normal but 2nd is higher. How much worried should I be as I want to understand how bad I am? Is my understanding correct that losing weight is key to lowering those numbers?

Regards,

Tashkent81

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid none of us here is allowed to diagnose you. Only your doctor can do that.

For your information, my fasting blood glucose has always been normal, but my HbA1c was 53 (7%). I just never had impaired fasting glucose.

tashkent81

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Bluetit1802,

I am away from my doctor for at least 4 months - I am on a long business trip. I just took the test as a regular check up. Should I test for HbA1 as well?? I am really worried.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit1802,

I am away from my doctor for at least 4 months - I am on a long business trip. I just took the test as a regular check up. Should I test for HbA1 as well?? I am really worried.

An HbA1c may give you the answer.
Testing before you eat and an hour and 2 hours after first bite would also provide some sort of answer.

Surely there are some doctors where you are? What if you fell sick?

tashkent81

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
An HbA1c may give you the answer.
Testing before you eat and an hour and 2 hours after first bite would also provide some sort of answer.

Surely there are some doctors where you are? What if you fell sick?
Yes there are doctors, but I just didn't see it necessary to see a doctor yet. I mean I didn't really fall sick, just went to the lab to do regular blood sugar test. I will go and take HbA1C today then. Thanks a lot.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @tashkent81 your fasting number I would say is middle average, but it is not clear if this is high for you or normal - this would be a good result in the UK circa 5.2 mol, the glucose test coming back to 7.7 mol after 2 hours would pass in the UK (upper limit 7.8 at 2 hours), assuming your protocol was correct.

I would get the HbA1c and fasting insulin test.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In the UK it takes two HbA1c tests to diagnose those with pre diabetes and Type 2 diabetes These tests are usually done about a couple of weeks apart and are done to make sure that tests are accurate. Random blood glucose testing just serves to cause concern.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are really concerned then reducing the amount of carbohydrate you eat could help a lot - as a full blown diabetic a year ago I now have normal readings - basically, Dr Atkins was right, and carbohydrates cause a lot of problems, not just increasing weight.

tashkent81

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you all for your feedback! And thank you all for having such a wonderful forum! I just got my HbA1C and got a result of 5.3%. And the normal range shown is 4.7-5.9. I don’t want to go to self diagnosis, but can I assume that I am not pre-diabetic yet? And yes, I just found this diet called new Atkins and want try it now.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your feedback! And thank you all for having such a wonderful forum! I just got my HbA1C and got a result of 5.3%. And the normal range shown is 4.7-5.9. I don’t want to go to self diagnosis, but can I assume that I am not pre-diabetic yet? And yes, I just found this diet called new Atkins and want try it now.

Nowhere near pre-diabetic, so big relief for you. It needs to be 6% to be pre-diabetic.

Atkins is a good diet to try.

Reactions: AloeSvea

tashkent81

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was so worried because of ongoing thirst that I went again and took another test today.

Fasting : 87
1st hour: 204
2nd hour: 132

About after 3 hours I started shaking and after I ate the shaking was gone.

I am more worried now, do I need more investigation??

Reactions: kokhongw

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was so worried because of ongoing thirst that I went again and took another test today.

Did you do some finger prick tests after the 2 hour mark? What were you when you started the shakes?

tashkent81

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I didn't do that yet. I guess I will buy a glucometer now and do the test. The lab said I have had enough glucose drink within last days and warned me to stop taking OGTT further by drinking more glucose drinks every two days.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Perhaps you can look at it from another perspective...T2D is not all about glucose only...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/newbie-guide-to-t2d.1858/

You are showing symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia. A commonly ignored and dismissed condition...