"normal" levels

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP mentioned he also had a GTT in the other thread

Thanks for posting this. Having two threads on the same subject has caused confusion. I missed his reply so will copy it here.

HbA1c - 46.. glucose tolerance = serum fasting 7.5/ 120min level 14.0

cholesterol -
serum cholesterol 5.4
serum triglycerides 6.12
serum HDL 0.82
total cholesterol:HDL level 6.6
can't see LDL level

centaur68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yeah, that was my bad.. didn't look properly at threads before posting, apologies for confusion..

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG above 7 and OGTT of 14 puts you firmly in the diabetic range. HbA1c isn't that reliable.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just goes to show how well you are doing since change of diet etc that has got you back down to the 5's. Excellent start, keep going!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yeah, that was my bad.. didn't look properly at threads before posting, apologies for confusion..

Worry not, it is all sorted now.

I have to retract my previous comments that you are not diabetic based on your HbA1c. Now I know your fasting level and your OGT test I agree you are firmly in the diabetic range. My apologies to you (and your doctor!)

Did you compare your cholesterol levels with the standards that I posted on your other thread? I'll repeat them here:

HDL 1.2 to 3.5
LDL under 2 (3 for non-diabetics)
Triglycerides under 1.7
Total/HDL ratio under 4
Non HDL under 3.4
Trigs/HDL ratio under 0.87

You can enter your levels here to see how you are doing
www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

Reactions: Alison Campbell

centaur68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bluetit1802 - not an issue mate, no offense taken.
I'm trying to make sense of numbers on my printout. I think there finally on this thread.

I will keep going with low carb & exercise, keep taking metformin for now but if cholesterol levels aren't better at next test I'll have to take statins but trying not to at the moment as I didn't like them.

thanks everyone for your advice & help, I'm very ashamed to say that I've learnt more about diabetes in few weeks on this website/forum than I have working on ambulances for nearly 20yrs !! (standard NHS teaching/thought process)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
recently diagnosed T2 on slow release metformin, just got print out from GP
Desmond course in August .. not much advice from GP other than avoid sugars & eat wholemeal.. was put on station but stopped taking it early on, LOVE this site, learnt loads !!!
anyway, been testing myself & fasting levels (morning) & 2hrs after food constantly mid 5's is that good? not sure if it's metformin or LCHF diet I started 2 weeks ago, already lost a few lbs & noticeable fat loss around stomach (also hitting gym/exercising a lot more)

just asking what BG levels I'm looking at really & what my hbA1c levels should ideally be & cholesterol, triglycerides/LDL/HDL levels should be.

thanks
Mid 5's is really good we are all different in how low we go

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that, but an HbA1c of 46 is not diabetic. Either your doctor is wrong or you have misheard what your HbA1c was. A print out will answer this dilemma.
I was diagnosed at 46 I was told that was just into the diabetic range

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

If you read the whole thread and his other thread, you will see that we did not have all the information at the time I posted that comment. It is now clear he is diabetic as he also had an OGT test with a fasting glucose of over 7 and a 2 hour response of 14.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I had not read the OP's other threads
My doctor did say it was quite low and medication is not usually recommended at that level