Normal or pre diabetes?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
6mmol two hours after a half a bowl of chips and 5.3mmol two and a half hours after?

Two hourly seems a little higher than ideal.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends very much on what the reading was before the chips doesn’t it?

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My non diabetic friend was 6.3 2hrs after meal. I would do a fasting bg test. Hope it comes out okay. X

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just because sometimes being overweight can cause IR? I think? Sorry don't know really. Know it's not always the case. His bmi makes him obese though.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just because sometimes being overweight can cause IR? I think? Sorry don't know really. Know it's not always the case. His bmi makes him obese though.

But he's not in a dodgy place with the BS after a bowl of chips....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say this @ExtremelyW0rried. You have posted a couple of times previously regarding worries about your non diabetic toddler’s blood sugars, now you’re worrying probably unnecessarily about your husband’s. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, but are you addressing your own anxieties with your GP still? I’m only saying this for your own good. Tell me to butt out if you like.

Reactions: AloeSvea and miszu

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does he have any symptoms (http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-symptoms.html)? Lack of symptoms doesn't rule out diabetes, mind you.

Many, in fact (I think) most, obese people do not develop T2D. The "bowl of chips" test does not sound worrisome.

A visit to the doctor would help settle it, if he is worried.

(Edited to add: I just saw @Rachox's post, above, and it somewhat outdates what I just wrote.)

Reactions: Rachox and miszu

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6mmol two hours after a half a bowl of chips and 5.3mmol two and a half hours after?

Two hourly seems a little higher than ideal.
I would say you have no worries with those levels they would be normal for a non diabetic eating chips

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah - he just asked me to check. He's lost a friend recently to ill health and it's started him on a bit of a health kick. He's started running

I don't know much about t2 and IR so thought I would ask here. I know officially the guidelines say 7.8 at two hours but I think most people would be below that?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah - he just asked me to check. He's lost a friend recently to ill health and it's started him on a bit of a health kick. He's started running

I don't know much about t2 and IR so thought I would ask here. I know officially the guidelines say 7.8 at two hours but I think most people would be below that?

Mrs WOrried,
As it was with your concern a while back regarding your young daughter. Your husband should realy get an "MOT" with his Doc...
These random blood tests performed by you on members of the family will not conclude anything except undue short term stress to those concerned in the excersise..

We cannot "diagnose" on the basis of a bowl of chips, postprandial.. Though his numbers look good to me!

Wishing your Mr W0rried the best of luck...