Not diabetic anymore??? Confused as heck :(

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my new HbA1c result and it's down from 6.5 or 48.5 to 5.7 Folate is down from 19.1 to 17.1 Ferratin is up from 167 to 225 which is why I have to have a liver scan. My fasting BG is 5.4 and my ESR is 35 which she says is normal. My cholesterol was HDL normal Triglycerides normal and LDL normal ...overall it is 5.8 and she wants it down to 5.2 which is confusing as it is all normal ? She now says I am NOT diabetic as my new HbA1c is 5.7...only achieved by eating like a type 2 diabetic!!!!. She says now to go back to eating cereal for breakfast, bread, potatoes etc and get my ferrratin re tested in 3 months. I am totally confused and according to the nurse I am not diabetic ...BUT....WILL be if I eat carbs again and am retested in 12 months !!!! Confused as hell :(

Reactions: 33 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh for goodness sake!
Sometimes I despair.

The reality is that if you maintain normal blood glucose levels while on a low carb diet, and your bg spikes to diabetic levels if you eat 'normal' amounts of carbs, then you are a very well controlled diabetic (controlled by diet and exercise).

Their confusion stems from the fact that they probably haven't seen this before (T2s always deteriorate, dontcha know!) and they don't understand about BG control by diet.

Congratulations, by the way. You have achieved some very impressive results.

Actually the only thing I can't congratulate you on, is your unfortunate health care team.

Good luck with the ferratin tests.

Reactions: 42 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh for goodness sake!
Sometimes I despair.

The reality is that if you maintain normal blood glucose levels while on a low carb diet, and your bg spikes to diabetic levels if you eat 'normal' amounts of carbs, then you are a very well controlled diabetic (controlled by diet and exercise).

Their confusion stems from the fact that they probably haven't seen this before (T2s always deteriorate, dontcha know!) and they don't understand about BG control by diet.

Congratulations, by the way. You have achieved some very impressive results.

Actually the only thing I can't congratulate you on, is your unfortunate health care team.

Good luck with the ferratin tests.
I am staggered by their stupidity. I have been told NOT to test my blood ever and to go back to eating carbs.....so.....I am staying as I am and eating the way I have been because the obvious prognosis is I would be back in diabetic range if I don't. She also said eating high fat will send my cholesterol sky high and kill me...duhhhhh....I give up on the NHS and will take care of my own health from here on in. Incidentally she says it's fine to have bg elevations into double figures that take 6 hours to come down ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 30 people
C

catherinecherub

A better word would be remission.

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2015/08/words-matter-why-you-cant-reverse-diabetes/

"I feel constantly bombarded with claims that type 2 diabetes can be reversed and prevented. I even hear absurdities about how type 2 diabetes can be cured. I expect these things from the scams that we all see in our email inboxes and across the web. But what really sets my hair on fire is the use of these words by people who should know better. Medical professionals and our government should know better........."

Reactions: 24 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done @Gezzabelle!

You have done really great!
Your hba1c is normal!
Your control (which I believe) is the real important factor in your better health and lifestyle!

Don't listen to your dsn, she hasn't a clue, she is the one that is confused!

I'm not diabetic and it confuses the hell out of all the doctors and healthcare professionals!
They say for example, you have hypers and hypos, you must be diabetic!

Don't resort to the carbs! They are the real baddies!

You have done fantastic! Good luck with the tests!

Reactions: 17 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A better word would be remission.

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2015/08/words-matter-why-you-cant-reverse-diabetes/

"I feel constantly bombarded with claims that type 2 diabetes can be reversed and prevented. I even hear absurdities about how type 2 diabetes can be cured. I expect these things from the scams that we all see in our email inboxes and across the web. But what really sets my hair on fire is the use of these words by people who should know better. Medical professionals and our government should know better........."

Well it seems that all my hard work to get my HbA1c back into non diabetic levels has all been disregarded by them. No well done for achieving that....just go back to eating junk and be re diagnosed in 12 months as diabetic.:rolleyes::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Reactions: 19 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Gezzabelle!

You have done really great!
Your hba1c is normal!
Your control (which I believe) is the real important factor in your better health and lifestyle!

Don't listen to your dsn, she hasn't a clue, she is the one that is confused!

I'm not diabetic and it confuses the hell out of all the doctors and healthcare professionals!
They say for example, you have hypers and hypos, you must be diabetic!

Don't resort to the carbs! They are the real baddies!

You have done fantastic! Good luck with the tests!
Thank you....I am proud of myself and wouldn't have achieved it without the wonderful people here. I refuse to stop testing and eat carbs. The NHS has a lot to answer for and needs to open its eyes to what CAN be done if the right advice is given. To get that advice I will come HERE and give the NHS a hearty 2 fingered salute for their incompetence

Reactions: 34 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
I am staggered by their stupidity. I have been told NOT to test my blood ever and to go back to eating carbs.....so.....I am staying as I am and eating the way I have been because the obvious prognosis is I would be back in diabetic range if I don't. She also said eating high fat will send my cholesterol sky high and kill me...duhhhhh....I give up on the NHS and will take care of my own health from here on in. Incidentally she says it's fine to have bg elevations into double figures that take 6 hours to come down ???
its fine to have bg levels in double figures that take 6 hours to come down ..what planet is she on because its certainly not this one
unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
its fine to have bg levels in double figures that take 6 hours to come down ..what planet is she on because its certainly not this one
unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!
Well...all my numbers were good and as a reward I can now stuff my face with carbs again and be re diagnosed in a year....oh and I told her I quit smoking almost 11 months ago and now use a vape and was told off for that too. I gave up trying to listen to anymore BS at that point :D

Reactions: 14 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well it seems that all my hard work to get my HbA1c back into non diabetic levels has all been disregarded by them. No well done for achieving that....just go back to eating junk and be re diagnosed in 12 months as diabetic.:rolleyes::arghh::arghh::arghh:
Plenty of us here to say 'well done' though. Well done from me, by the way.
I was in a similar situation a few years ago. Here is the conundrum....
Considerable weight loss, non-diabetic BG levels. Still overweight by any standards, able to eat carbs no spikes in BG. However, although carbs do not cause me spikes, they do make me want more of them, and I gain weight when I eat them in more than minimal quantity. If the weight gain pushes me beyond my personal fat threshold (according to Prof Taylor of Newcastle diet fame) I am likely to have diabetic BG levels again.
I would be very cautious about the advice from your medical team to eat carbs, and would also monitor BG levels despite being told not to.
Good luck, and well done again (just to make up for the lack of congrats from medical team).

Reactions: 21 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

If it aint broken, don't fix it, you are doing so well, many congratulations :)

Reactions: 14 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well...all my numbers were good and as a reward I can now stuff my face with carbs again and be re diagnosed in a year....oh and I told her I quit smoking almost 11 months ago and now use a vape and was told off for that too. I gave up trying to listen to anymore BS at that point :D
I am truly lost for words

Reactions: 9 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I saw my DSN following an HbA1C result of 31 she made a point of writing in my notes that I had reduced my BG levels back into the normal range "through sheer hard work and determination" which I really appreciated. It is nice when your HCP recognises your efforts, especially when the media are full of stories portraying all T2 diabetics as fat, lazy slobs. I'm sorry you didn't get the affirmation you were looking for from your HCP, you deserve it.

Lots of us on here are hugely impressed with your efforts, and especially your determination not to slip back into old habits. Well done Gezzabelle!

Reactions: 29 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Good to talk about this stuff indeed. And interesting article on using 'remission' by Brian Cohen, and why talking about reversal is so damaging ultimately to us as diabetics and our handle on BG control. Big TY for that!

When I got my HBA1c down to 40 (I don't know the percentage figure), I talked about remission, and this helped me keep it in perspective when I went out of remission! (And will help me when I have to tell my diabetes nurse next week I am out of remission.) It was still hard for me not to feel very disappointed, but there was a much better perspective than if I had believed myself cured. I guess I am too pessimistic/realistic to have talked about a reversal. Good protection it turned out. (I always liked NoCarbs4me talking about himself as "postdiabetic" but he waited till he had tight control for a longish while I believe.) Remission is a good word when it comes to tight control of blood glucose.

Cohen's article has also got me thinking about prediabetics having already gone past the point of never-again-being-truly-healthy, and always having to watch it, just at a smaller degree as once-hit-the-diabetic-stakes insulin resistant. I'd never looked at prediabetes that way - always seen it as lucky folk who had a chance to turn it around. But I can see that it does indicate an already overworked liver and pancreas, and insulin resistance, already there. I have some loved ones in my life who are prediabetic, and I am being forced to look at their health status differently by that article. And I realise it is true - the three prediabetics I am thinking of have insulin resistance. In order not to 'progress' into full-blown diabetes they can never throw caution to the wind with processed food and ice cream again. (I am at this very moment dealing with a very mad desire to eat McDonalds and a snow freeze with a double flake.) And I guess - yes - who can afford to do that nowadays? (As in going wild!) But yes - if you in the prediabetic range going wild with carbs and sugars and trans fats etc is no longer a healthy thing, at all, to do. Ever. I see his point.

Hey ho for low carbing! :)

Reactions: 12 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
"No comment" (just flabbergasted)

Reactions: 11 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry forgot myself well done and congrats :D

Reactions: 9 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Shocking (but not surprising) lack of understanding of the condition. It's like saying to an alcoholic that they can go and drink as before if they've been teetotal for a year, or to someone with a nut allergy "well done, you've not had a bad reaction for 12 months, treat yourself to a Snickers once a day". With the NHS in crisis and T2 diagnoses spiralling you would think that better trained HCPs would be a priority.

Very well done on your results by the way! :)

Reactions: 25 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shocking (but not surprising) lack of understanding of the condition. It's like saying to an alcoholic that they can go and drink as before if they've been teetotal for a year, or to someone with a nut allergy "well done, you've not had a bad reaction for 12 months, treat yourself to a Snickers once a day". With the NHS in crisis and T2 diagnoses spiralling you would think that better trained HCPs would be a priority.

Very well done on your results by the way! :)
Thank you....wouldn't have been so bad if the nurse hadn't been at least 18 stones and could hardly walk for the fat she was carrying. Her supply of chocolate was also on her desk along with her never ending texts she was answering from her mates !!!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done I'm sure it was all the effort you put in has really paid off. Hope your liver scan goes well and that can be sorted out. I'm due for my HbA1c results next week and I would love to have the same sort of result as you.

Reactions: 11 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done I'm sure it was all the effort you put in has really paid off. Hope your liver scan goes well and that can be sorted out. I'm due for my HbA1c results next week and I would love to have the same sort of result as you.
Thank you...I am making too many red blood cells it seems and too much iron in my blood. Good luck with your tests...am sure you will get a great result too :)

Reactions: 8 people