Not diabetic anymore??? Confused as heck :(

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cured mine.
''Cured'' maybe....but only down to the fact you eat virtually no carbs. I am envious of your success but also know that if you ate how most would consider normally then your diabetic status or lack of it would change. In my humble opinon ...you have gone into remission and hold that status as long as you eat the way you do. Not eating any carbs is not what most would consider normal but it is fantastic that it has helped you to ''cure'' your diabetes

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
''Cured'' maybe....but only down to the fact you eat virtually no carbs. I am envious of your success but also know that if you ate how most would consider normally then your diabetic status or lack of it would change. In my humble opinon ...you have gone into remission and hold that status as long as you eat the way you do. Not eating any carbs is not what most would consider normal but it is fantastic that it has helped you to ''cure'' your diabetes

Actually, I reversed my type two following the diet doctor's LCHF plan. I even bought his book. I switched to zero carb later. I guess we won't know if it's permanently reversed until I'm dead. Most people who eat "normally" are overweight, get cancer, cardiovascular disease, stroke, arthritis, diabetes, etc. I don't plan on going back to that way of eating.

Reactions: 4 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The day I'm "cured" I'm going to have Danish Pastry for breakfast, a Pizza for lunch and Lasagne for dinner with Spotted **** and Custard for my Pudd.

Until then I'll continue to control my diabetes and maintain non-diabetic BG levels by controlling my diet.

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
The day I'm "cured" I'm going to have Danish Pastry for breakfast, a Pizza for lunch and Lasagne for dinner with Spotted **** and Custard for my Pudd.

Until then I'll continue to control my diabetes and maintain non-diabetic BG levels by controlling my diet.

I prefer my bacon and eggs and ribeye steak. Seriously! I have occasionally tried some junk food to see how my blood glucose levels respond and it is never as satisfying as I thought it would be. Despite eating ribeye just about every day for 7 months now I never tire of it.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
i believe differently , diabetes type 2 can be cured its all out there to see .

We are getting hung up on the word "cure" ... and not for the first time on this forum. Reversing diabetes is TOTALLY conditional upon lifestyle changes, weight loss, diet (or combination thereof) and hoping like heck that any other conditions associated with diabetes will also be corrected. You can hope you can stall it, pray that you can get back slowly to where you were, but one slip up, and you are back to square one.

A cure (at least to me) suggests I can do what I once did with regard to diet. I cannot and until I see someone put their hand up and suggest they can and have without any adverse readings, I will stand by my comments. The "cure" simply does not exist

Reactions: 9 people

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Taking a blood reading after just one hour will not give you a correct reading. You need to wait for two hours as your glucose will still be on the rise.
He has done both and two hours after it has been under 6 . We're all different and our bodies cope differently , some people have high cholesterol and yet it isn't dangerous it is what their body produces , so who is to say most type 2 diabetics are diagnosed wrongly because of an average , we're not all average are we ?

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
We are getting hung up on the word "cure" ... and not for the first time on this forum. Reversing diabetes is TOTALLY conditional upon lifestyle changes, weight loss, diet (or combination thereof) and hoping like heck that any other conditions associated with diabetes will also be corrected. You can hope you can stall it, pray that you can get back slowly to where you were, but one slip up, and you are back to square one.

A cure (at least to me) suggests I can do what I once did with regard to diet. I cannot and until I see someone put their hand up and suggest they can and have without any adverse readings, I will stand by my comments. The "cure" simply does not exist

I do understand what you mean , but i think our diets have gone out of control ,were we made to eat processed foods , and before processed foods did we have an epidemic of diabetes?

The pre-diabetes diagnosis in my opinion is just like telling us that we're all pre-death .

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I prefer my bacon and eggs and ribeye steak. Seriously! I have occasionally tried some junk food to see how my blood glucose levels respond and it is never as satisfying as I thought it would be. Despite eating ribeye just about every day for 7 months now I never tire of it.
My and copes well with low carb , im not diabetic but i tried that diet with him and i felt like a dead dog no energy headache sleepy depressed and the second i introduced carbs again i felt energetic. I would rather eat a plate full of broccoli and full fat cheese more than anything else but i do need carbs to function lol .

I just wonder if these symptoms would disappear with perseverance but i need to work and i can't work when i am falling to sleep and in pain .
How did you cope with the low carb high fat change please ?

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I don't think we should be too hard on our doctors, HCPs etc...... they are guided by hospital policies guidelines... RCP (various royal colleges of physicians etc) NICE etc... currently they hv to tell us officially to follow the current guidelines whilst waiting for more trials and research to confirm that HFLC is definitely the way forward. These doctors and trusts could be sued for advocating a diet that's not fully endorsed by the formal boards of excellence. It's only a few weeks ago that bacon and sausages were 'bad' and the following week later that butter etc were safe and good...
thats true and i do respect the medical profession , i just feel that we need to listen to our bodies most of the time and it will heal itself of almost anything . it is just my belief of course .

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No argument from me on that point at all ... save for the fact that there are so many issues that have infiltrated our collective lives. Rubbish foods loaded with cr#p, time poor, lazy kids (and adults) who eat garbage, parents that couldn't boil water, families that don't exercise and take the easy way out.

Most get away with it, but regrettably many do not. I see it in this country and (obviously) taste it .... combine that with HC idiots who are supposed to give you advice and couldn't teach a dog a new trick, and therein lies the problem.

I had a DN that told me it was OK to eat a shortbread wrapped fruit biscuit simply because it was low GI and the clown was supposedly an expert. The doctor sacked her. We have an epidemic on our hands and a disgraceful paucity of knowledge.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
No argument from me on that point at all ... save for the fact that there are so many issues that have infiltrated our collective lives. Rubbish foods loaded with cr#p, time poor, lazy kids (and adults) who eat garbage, parents that couldn't boil water, families that don't exercise and take the easy way out.

Most get away with it, but regrettably many do not. I see it in this country and (obviously) taste it .... combine that with HC idiots who are supposed to give you advice and couldn't teach a dog a new trick, and therein lies the problem.

I had a DN that told me it was OK to eat a shortbread wrapped fruit biscuit simply because it was low GI and the clown was supposedly an expert. The doctor sacked her. We have an epidemic on our hands and a disgraceful paucity of knowledge.
All true , i have a four year old grandson and he walks everywhere, he eats reaal food and very rarely has take away food, he is very healthy energetic and looks a picture of health, he eats fruit veg and sweets are a treat for being good in nursery . During the summer last year we would walk an hour at a time and only during the last ten minutes did he need to be carried on granddads shoulders, we're about to walk soon around thirty minutes , its cold but glorious sunshine but we enjoy being out doors you can't beat it , i think it is very important to stay active in winter time as it is so easy to stay inside and do nothing .

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My and copes well with low carb , im not diabetic but i tried that diet with him and i felt like a dead dog no energy headache sleepy depressed and the second i introduced carbs again i felt energetic. I would rather eat a plate full of broccoli and full fat cheese more than anything else but i do need carbs to function lol .

I just wonder if these symptoms would disappear with perseverance but i need to work and i can't work when i am falling to sleep and in pain .
How did you cope with the low carb high fat change please ?
Yes, it can take time to adapt to a low carb diet. A few days to a couple of weeks. I don't remember it being difficult for me, perhaps because I reduced my carbs gradually.

S

Sean01

Just had my new HbA1c result and it's down from 6.5 or 48.5 to 5.7 Folate is down from 19.1 to 17.1 Ferratin is up from 167 to 225 which is why I have to have a liver scan. My fasting BG is 5.4 and my ESR is 35 which she says is normal. My cholesterol was HDL normal Triglycerides normal and LDL normal ...overall it is 5.8 and she wants it down to 5.2 which is confusing as it is all normal ? She now says I am NOT diabetic as my new HbA1c is 5.7...only achieved by eating like a type 2 diabetic!!!!. She says now to go back to eating cereal for breakfast, bread, potatoes etc and get my ferrratin re tested in 3 months. I am totally confused and according to the nurse I am not diabetic ...BUT....WILL be if I eat carbs again and am retested in 12 months !!!! Confused as hell :(
I'm NOT a doctor, but I am a biologist (by qualification) and understand some of the issues. Let's put this into terms that everyone can relate to. Imagine you are standing outside freezing cold, with very little in the way of clothing. You are at risk of hypothermia. So you come indoors where it is warm, you have something warm to drink and you put on more clothes. The risk of hypothermia reduces and you feel comfortable - you feel normal, BUT, you know that if you go back outside, even with the extra layers on, you risk getting cold again and you still risk hypothermia. So what do you do? From what you say, it sounds like you have fought your battle and won, but this does not reset the clock to zero. It does not mean you should go back out in the cold and, again, I am not a doctor, You should not go loading up on high GI carbs. Certain foods are not good for you. I'm only type 2 diabetic (recently diagnosed) I am absolutely hell bent on curing myself and staying cured. I will never eat another slice of bread again. Rice and pasta are dead to me. When I do eat cereal, it is usually only one tablespoon full in the bottom of a tea cup - and that's even the low GI stuff. (We live in a world where the normal diet is laiden with high GI quick release carbs. But before carbs and the dreaded 5 a day, we had fats and we didn't have diabetes or obesity at levels we have now. If your medical professionals are trying to tell you that you have done well and can back to normal food - choose the normal food that works - and trust me - if you have been eating like a type 2 diabetic - you have probably been eating a lot healthier than the perceived 'normal' (nearly 80 lbs lost since October 2015 and I eat well. Good luck - if you wnat to chat - find me (I blog a fair bit)

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Folks! Can we take a step back here. Diabetes is diagnosed as a result of a HBA1C. Over 6 and you are labeled "diabetic"! That's it!
It's medical culture.
I'm in the same boat as many of you. Four successive 3 monthly blood tests have come back below 6 so technically I'm not diabetic any longer!
HOWEVER I got those results through loosing weight, watching what I eat and exercising more.
Looking through the entire forum, I'm firmly of the opinion that what we know as "T2 Diabetes" - high blood glucose is a symptom of some other condition BUT with so many organs involved (& now gut bacteria) and so many different 'types' of people, there is no definitive cause, cure or quick fix.
BUT we can say for sure that a low carb diet moderates the high BG symptom (and that's what we should all be aiming for).
Now, if diabetes cannot be cured, only managed then the blood tests stop being diagnostic and become a Performance Indicator of your overall management strategy.
All that said, even though I haven't been "diabetic" for over a year, I not going to take the chance. I'm going to continue with my low carb (but not restrictive) diet and exercise.
I've found there is a difference between "Living with diabetes" and "LIVING!!!! with diabetes!"
How you handle the rest of your life is in your hands. And only your hands.

Hear hear , totally agree . At my last blood test I was told I was in reverse mode ,what ever that means!!! Anyway I know if I eat like I used to and don't do my 30 minutes activity most days , I will put weight on and be back to square one . Nearly 3 years at it , go off the rails sometimes but know I can't for long .
Type 2 diet and activity controlled.

S

Sean01

Hear hear , totally agree . At my last blood test I was told I was in reverse mode ,what ever that means!!! Anyway I know if I eat like I used to and don't do my 30 minutes activity most days , I will put weight on and be back to square one . Nearly 3 years at it , go off the rails sometimes but know I can't for long .
Type 2 diet and activity controlled.
At this time of year, the press is full of people pushing diets. It is interesting to note that one highly respected medical professional; and author (also regularly on tv - but so are the Kardasians) advocates the type of diet that is recommended for those with Type 2 diabetes. This makes a lot of sense. Following the type 2 diet is designed to reverse the problem and I read daily about people no longer on medication etc. All good stuff. The same diet that reverses the type 2 symptoms can also be used to prevent them in the first place.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi can someone answer my question as being new to this and not told much what is the difference between HBA1c and BG levels am so frustrated now reading your forum Gezzabelle well done :):)

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi can someone answer my question as being new to this and not told much what is the difference between HBA1c and BG levels am so frustrated now reading your forum Gezzabelle well done :):)

Hi,

The HbA1c test is, basically, an average of your bg levels over the last 2-3 months. You can have a good score on the HbA1c and still get wild swings, hypers, hypos, etc.

A home meter bg finger prick test is a snapshot of what your bg is at that moment. It varied through the day, rising and falling depending on stress, sleep deprivation, exercise and of course exactly which food and drink you choose to eat.

Neither test gives the whole picture, but put them together, and you can work out a lot of things - best diet, why you feel ill or well, how you react to certain foods, risks of long term health complications...

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 3 people