Type 2 Not feeling great

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

I'm T2 and started on Metformin last Monday afternoon and have been told to increase from 2 to 3 tablets tomorrow. I've been feeling rough shaky, sore throat, dreadful diahorria, nauseous, lethargic etc etc. I've been told this is "carb flu". How long does it last please? Also, my fasting blood sugar is higher than my post meal, my post meal was 5.1. At times I don't feel like eating, but know I have to.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Awww, sorry you are having it rough. The tummy and bowel issues are most likely the Metformin. If it doesn't get better soon, ask your GP for the slow release version, which is kinder on the tummy. Usually it goes away on its own after a week or two.

I never had carb flu because I cut my carbs down gradually rather than going cold turkey, so I can't help with that.

Fasting levels are always the last to come down, and may take a long time. I presume you have been told, or read up about, dawn phenomenon, or liver dump? There are loads of threads on the forum about it.

You are doing brilliantly to have post meal readings of 5.1! I can only dream of that.

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Bluetit. Today's reading is the lowest this last week ;). It's usually around 9.

Reactions: 3 people

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done.
I'm having the same thing with high FBG readings so hopefully we can both get our readings down.

Reactions: 4 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I also need to have a little munch before bed. But I'm worried about calories :(

Reactions: 5 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You're approaching this in a very positive way and if you've got a bout of carb flu it will soon be over if you persevere with your chosen course. Besides I need you to verify/improve on my recipes so I don't poison myself & Mrs DeeJay.
I have a little munch before bedtime .
I wouldn't worry about calories at the moment. Whatever they are.

Reactions: 8 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Low-carb diets lower insulin levels, which makes the kidneys excrete excess sodium from the body. This can lead to a mild sodium deficiency. Which can give you symptoms such as lightheadedness, fatigue, headaches so try adding more salt to your diet.

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol! Well...... Roast pork tonight with roasted veg: courgette, red onion, aubergine and peppers with a touch of garlic, parsley and olive oil. I just need to work out how long to cook it for. I'm making a cottage pie this week with cauliflower mash and chicken and coconut curry with grated cauliflower for rice served up with spinach ;)

Reactions: 10 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low-carb diets lower insulin levels, which makes the kidneys excrete excess sodium from the body. This can lead to a mild sodium deficiency. Which can give you symptoms such as lightheadedness, fatigue, headaches so try adding more salt to your diet.
Thank you I'll try that tonight :)

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol! Well...... Roast pork tonight with roasted veg: courgette, red onion, aubergine and peppers with a touch of garlic, parsley and olive oil. I just need to work out how long to cook it for. I'm making a cottage pie this week with cauliflower mash and chicken and coconut curry with grated cauliflower for rice served up with spinach ;)

If you mean how long to cook your roasted veg, I'd give those about 40 minutes. If you mean your piggie, then that'll need about 30 minutes per pound, plus 30 minutes, then rest for 30 minutes.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
chicken and coconut curry with grated cauliflower for rice served up with spinach
Just had the very same except with green beans instead of spinach. Is your curry with tomatoes and peanut butter?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, salt will help. I was feeling pretty bad like you a few months ago and it was suggested that I increase salt. I felt much better pretty quickly. Also fluid intake is important, I always feel better when I increase fluids.

Reactions: 8 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had the very same except with green beans instead of spinach. Is your curry with tomatoes and peanut butter?
No, just spices and half a tin of coconut milk (it is for 2 people) I think I'll ad d both. How much peanut butter?

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, salt will help. I was feeling pretty bad like you a few months ago and it was suggested that I increase salt. I felt much better pretty quickly. Also fluid intake is important, I always feel better when I increase fluids.
I shall do both, I am drinking quite a bit do it may be the salt :)

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you mean how long to cook your roasted veg, I'd give those about 40 minutes. If you mean your piggie, then that'll need about 30 minutes per pound, plus 30 minutes, then rest for 30 minutes.
It was the veg :)

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds v tasty.

If you can drink loads (water!!) and try just a bit more salt as mentioned above, hopefully you'll feel fine soon. Someone advised on here to use good salt, so I switched to finely ground sea salt rather than my up until then table salt - something to do with more minerals/less impurities.

Take care.

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds v tasty.

If you can drink loads (water!!) and try just a bit more salt as mentioned above, hopefully you'll feel fine soon. Someone advised on here to use good salt, so I switched to finely ground sea salt rather than my up until then table salt - something to do with more minerals/less impurities.

Take care.
Thank you.