Not getting breaks at work.

Rosey16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not only are they breaking the law re advisability discrimination, it's also illegal under the working time directives, you MUST have a minimum 20 break after 6 hours of work
I also work in the NHS and it is true you are entitled to a break after 6 hours but in my experience they will say that its the nature of the job.

Reactions: 2 people

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, im type 1 and work in a very busy hospital performing tests on wards , clinics and in A+E. For the past couple of months we have been very short staffed, meaning I usually have to cover extra areas that would normally be covered by other staff. Sometimes, because of this, I dont get my breaks or have to cut them short. For the past few Friday afternoons however I have been left alone to cover ALL areas on my own. This is a huge area to cover and ive not had any breaks in theses instances, usually end up with bad hypos. I have said to my boss about this before but she seems disinterested and hasnt made any accommodation for it. The exact same thing happened today and to be honest, im really fed up with the whole situation. I just want to know if anyone has experienced this themselves and what steps I can take to make sure this dosent continue ?. Many thanks ;-)
Hi Gavin-
Sorry to hear you are going through this
It needs addressing -in writing- to your employer. Once something is in writing-rather than just chatted about with a manager who doesn't care- you find things tend to improve.

Not allowing you to treat your Diabetes is breaching all reasonable adjutment requirements and you should first of all- refuse from now on to do anything that is setting you up for a hypo. Put this calmly and clearly in writing to your manager and copy HR in.
Tell them that you are happy to cover for other staff wherever possible-but never at the expense of your health-as they are putting you-and others- at risk by doing so. Be proactive in it-tell them you dont want diabetes side effects or complications getting in the way of providing effective service for them-and that by them meeting your requirements-you will be a healthier stronger employee. Point out what could happen to you if you cant access treatment when you need it.

Tell your employers your minimum diabetes requirements in the workplace -that you expect them to be met as a legally required reasonable adjustment and stick to them -never let them force you or guilt you into neglecting yourself. Its just not worth it.
Good luck with all of this- go and see Citizens Advice-they are great and usually get quick results with a simply worded letter template telling an employer theuir legal responsibilities and the consequences of not doing so

Reactions: 4 people

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, im type 1 and work in a very busy hospital performing tests on wards , clinics and in A+E. For the past couple of months we have been very short staffed, meaning I usually have to cover extra areas that would normally be covered by other staff. Sometimes, because of this, I dont get my breaks or have to cut them short. For the past few Friday afternoons however I have been left alone to cover ALL areas on my own. This is a huge area to cover and ive not had any breaks in theses instances, usually end up with bad hypos. I have said to my boss about this before but she seems disinterested and hasnt made any accommodation for it. The exact same thing happened today and to be honest, im really fed up with the whole situation. I just want to know if anyone has experienced this themselves and what steps I can take to make sure this dosent continue ?. Many thanks ;-)
Just realised this post was in June-so there must have been a meeting-and an outcome by now?
Can you give an update please Gavin- I would like to know how this turned out
Thanks

GavinG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I didn't update...I had an informal chat with my line manager about this issue shortly after I posted this. ..I was greeted with the same blank expression and head nodding as before and was assured that it was an oversight on her part that id been left on my own, and that it wouldn't happen again....however, less than three days later it did. I started to document evrrything after thst, but took my breaks regardless of how much work was waiting. Since this, I have reduced my hours to look after my daughter. My blood sugars at the moment are perfect...its working so well for me...im less stressed and far happier. Thanks everyone for your advice. :-D :-D :-D

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sorry I didn't update...I had an informal chat with my line manager about this issue shortly after I posted this. ..I was greeted with the same blank expression and head nodding as before and was assured that it was an oversight on her part that id been left on my own, and that it wouldn't happen again....however, less than three days later it did. I started to document evrrything after thst, but took my breaks regardless of how much work was waiting. Since this, I have reduced my hours to look after my daughter. My blood sugars at the moment are perfect...its working so well for me...im less stressed and far happier. Thanks everyone for your advice. :-D :-D :-D

Hi, I am so happy for you and well done for putting your health first. Sounds like it's all going in a positive direction. Unfortunately, there will always be crass individuals about who always something to say or moan about another person, so good on you for taking control :)

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

amj789

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well-what a shame your manager is so poor at supporting you-
But great news that you are much happier and looking after yourself by taking the breaks
:)