Not quite diagnosed!

smithy220

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all,

I have an appt at my drs for blood results in a couple of days after being referred from opticians due to blurry vision and also shakes, pin and needles in hands, sweating on face and constant urination.
I have a feeling that it will be positive for diabetes but my question is how do you cope when you have health problems already.

I suffer from chronic pain due to failed triple spinal fusion, on anti depressants, tramadol for pain, anti sickness tablets and laxatives.

What impact, if it is a positive result, do you think all the above will have on my managing the condition.

I know I am not officially diagnosed yet but any feedback would be helpful.

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are questions you must ask your doctor. There are many on this forum who are contending with complex medical issues so I am sure they can help when necessary. Don't panic. Take your time and read what changes you can make to your lifestyle to cut out carbs that you do not need. But first find out whether you are diabetic.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm no Doctor but your symptoms are not necessarily signs that you have diabetes so like DevonVee says you need to find this out. I too suffer from pins and needles in the hands which is causing me some concern and getting in my wires, the Doc says it could be any number of things from a reaction to other current none diabetes medication to carpel tunnel issues so wait and see what they say. Pins and needles caused by diabetic neuropathy usually occur from having high blood sugars over a long period of time I was told. Should your results show you are diabetic then you will need to make some lifestyle changes along with any other conditions you are dealing with, and I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have experience with lots of other conditions as well who will be happy to offer you help and advice

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pins and needles caused by diabetic neuropathy usually occur from having high blood sugars over a long period of time I was told

Who told you that? About 20% of people with prediabetes are diagnosed with neuropathy.

Welcome @Smith220, my optician wrote to my GP suggesting diabetes 2 years before my diagnosis of prediabetes.

Please let us know how you get on at your appointment.

Reactions: TooManyCrisps

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Who told you that? About 20% of people with prediabetes are diagnosed with neuropathy.

Welcome @Smith220, my optician wrote to my GP suggesting diabetes 2 years before my diagnosis of prediabetes.

Please let us know how you get on at your appointment.

I was told this from three sources in recent weeks, the two GP's I saw, one of which is the practice lead on diabetes and a consultant endocrinologist that my GP asked if he'd take a look at me. like I said, I was told this.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Many thanks Alison I've found the links very interesting, not least the fact that all three of the Dr's I saw regarding my pins and needles that I thought was neoropathy said I had not had high enough blood sugars long enough for it to be this. Now I've been diagnosed as in the diabetic range for a year now so logic tells me at some point before that I must have been in the prediabetes range, so looking at the numbers mentioned in the article there is certainly the possibility these medical professionals have not been forthcoming with the truth and that their statement to me about it not being possible is infact wrong.

Being just a little bit fair with the consultant, he did say that it was a possibility as everybody is different regarding how their body reacts to excess levels of glucose in the blood. I'm due to see my GP after some tests they are sending me to the hospital for and if it is neuropathy I shall take great pleasure in tell him I told you so, I may also take the above link on my phone to show him and see what he has to say about it

Reactions: Alison Campbell

SimonCrox

Re neuropathy and diabetes, folk often have T2DM for several years (eg 10) before the diabetes is found, but this time lag must be shortening nowadays with greater public awareness. Studies of neuropathy at diagnosis often show neuropathy common but these oftene use fancy electrical tests (nerve conduction studies) to pick up neuropathy which is mild and asymptomatic.. Sometimes folk loses a lot of weight by diet before the diabetes is found and their control looks quite good, but it had been worse in the past. I would just wonder if something else was contributing to the neuropathy if you have it so early with not bad glucose levels, so might be worth checking vitamin B12, vitamin D, thyroid function etc.
Swating on face - does this happen anytime, or on smelling / tasting food?
Good luck.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re neuropathy and diabetes, folk often have T2DM for several years (eg 10) before the diabetes is found, but this time lag must be shortening nowadays with greater public awareness. Studies of neuropathy at diagnosis often show neuropathy common but these oftene use fancy electrical tests (nerve conduction studies) to pick up neuropathy which is mild and asymptomatic.. Sometimes folk loses a lot of weight by diet before the diabetes is found and their control looks quite good, but it had been worse in the past. I would just wonder if something else was contributing to the neuropathy if you have it so early with not bad glucose levels, so might be worth checking vitamin B12, vitamin D, thyroid function etc.
Swating on face - does this happen anytime, or on smelling / tasting food?
Good luck.

Now that you mention the vitamin D I have a shortage for which I've been prescribed a supplement for 8 weeks, my B12 was actually very high due to me taking over the counter stuff because I thought it may head off any shortage issues that can be caused by the metformin I take. The doc did mention low vitamin D can cause pins and needles

SimonCrox

Are you continuing the vitamin D long term? if you got deficient once, you will get deficient again unless you take a maintenance dose. good idea taking the oral B12 with the metformin - chance of B12 deficiency just rises with time.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you continuing the vitamin D long term? if you got deficient once, you will get deficient again unless you take a maintenance dose. good idea taking the oral B12 with the metformin - chance of B12 deficiency just rises with time.

Well the Doc did say that once i've finished the 8 week course he wants to do another blood test but said after that I should buy an over the counter supplement and eat more oily fish. Still taking the B12 slow release but only every three days he said because it was putting my levels of this too high and was basically a waste of my money taking it every day.