Not sure

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I live in France and have just received the results of a routine blood test. It is normal for a blood test to be taken for almost anything here and the results are sent to the patient. I can't get to see my GP until early next week and wonder if I have any need to be concerned with the results. The Glycemie (Glucose) reading was 1,26 g/L, reference level 0,74 to 1,06 and 6,99 mmol/L reference 4,10 to 5,90. All the other tests were within reference apart from Cholesterol which was 2,03 with a reference of 1,50 to 2,00. No doubt there will be more tests but is there anything I can do before I see my GP. I'm 62 years old, weigh 15st, have a fairly active life style and don't seem to suffer from any of the classic symptoms.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you can get the odd high and they will run another test to confirm or rule out. if it comes back the same you are borderline prediabetic and diabetic.
diet and exercise is the treatment, you need to reduce the carbohydrates in your diet, bread, pasta, sugary stuff

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply.

I've now seen my doctor who said I was 'slightly diabetic' and gave me a diet sheet and prescription for another blood test in 3 months.

The diet sheet said pretty much what you said about carbohydrates but what do I replace them as something that will fill me up?

I'm not a 'foodie' and can't really be bother faffing about with food and recipes with more than 4 ingredients, so most of the recipe ideas here and other sites aren't really for me, anyone any ideas for sites with simple, plain recipes?

I also find food packaging confusing, is there a simple guide about what to look for on packaging?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi LiF, welcome

As for replacing the calories in carbs the basic options are protein and fats. Many people on here have successfully managed their diabetes with what is called LCHF (low carb high fat), how low carb and how high fat is up to the individual, but checking the impact of meals with a blood glucose monitor (finger-pricking device).

Have a look at www.dietdoctor.com/lchf and http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/interesting-low-carb-study.66485/.

As for food labels, look for foods with less than 10g carbs per 100g, less than 5g if you can. Ignore the 'of which sugar' bit, that's of little relevance to us. There's a book called 'Carbs & Cals' which has loads of photos of foods and meals with values for carbs, calories, protein and fat.

Good luck, hope this helps and ask any more questions you like.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much, I could live with a Low Carb, high fat diet ;) but it contradicts the diet information that my doctor gave;

AVOID:
- Fatty foods: whole milk, cream, meats except lean ham, fatty meats (pork, mutton) canned in oil, stews, fries, bacon, dried fruit, seeds (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, peanuts) olives, sauces, margarine, mayonnaise.
- Sugary foods: sugar, desserts, honey, jams, candies, sweets, pastries, chocolate, fruits high in figs, raisins, dates, avocados, dried fruit.
- The flour: bread, biscuits, potatoes, rice, pasta, pulses, peas, semolina, tapioca, chestnuts.

ARE LARGELY AUTHORIZED:
- Lean meat, fish, lean poultry, eggs cooked without fat, brain, tongue, kidneys.
- The skimmed milk, plain yoghurt, cheese 0%
- The raw and cooked greens or watery vegetables and preserves.
- Salad Oil Paraffin
- Water, tea, weak coffee.
-
WHAT TO MEASURE:
- Fresh fruit: 200g max
- Bread: 75g
- Rusks: 3g
- Butter: 50g
- Oil: 20g
- Skim milk 2 cups
- Baked cheese pastry: 35g (gruyère) fermented dough: 50g
- Various vegetables: 200g (carrots, celeriac artichoke, beets, onions).

I have spent a lot of time on the Interweb looking at diets and suggestion and get the impression with so much contradictory advise and information that no-one really knows how to control diabetes.

As I don't have another blood test for 3 months, is it worth me buying a monitor to see what works for me.

Reactions: 2 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lost in France wrote, "no-one really knows how to control diabetes."
Yes they do! Thousands of diabetics control diabetes to totally normal, non-diabetic levels by reducing carbohydrates to suitably low levels. This basically means avoiding bread, cereals, pasta, potatoes and rice and, of course, sugary things and sugary fruit and fruit juices. Follow the diet doctor, as recommended by Sanguine, above, www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
Sally

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You need to get a blood glucose meter and test after meals to see how much carbs you can process without spiking your blood glucose. Personally, I don't worry about eating lots of fat as it's the carbs that were killing me, not the fat. My low carb high fat diet actually improved my cholesterol numbers. "Weak coffee" is "authorized"?!?! :dead: That sounds silly. And who would eat 0% fat cheese in France? Yuck. It's strange that the guide says to avoid bread, then to measure bread.

Anyway, weight loss, exercise, and low carb diet should control your diabetes if it isn't too far along.:D

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lost in France, if you follow the diet recommendations your GP gave you you would mostly live on protein for nutrients and that may not be so good idea.

I do LCHF and works very well indeed for me, I take the HF part seriously and try to keep protein normal/lowish, as I have had a few kidney tests that seem a bit dodgy.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no need to go overboard on fats if you don't want to, just increase your current levels to make up for the lost calories through reducing your carbs.. Unless you have other illnesses that warrant a low fat diet, eat butter, cheese, yogurts, cream, mayonnaise, olive oil, bacon, fish, eggs, meat. The low fat versions of dairy foods often contain added sugar, so if you do decide to stick to those check the labels. I don't go overboard myself, but I also don't actively avoid it.

K

Kat100

Hello and welcome ...
I have tweaked my diet to suit me and my health needs ....many things to consider ....I am sometimes low carb sometimes medium carb ..some times low GL ....over the last two years I have changed my diet accordingly ...and I guess I always will ....
Diet and lifestyle change ....lots to,think about ...you will find what is right for you ....
Nice that you are active ...that is good ...best wishes ..Kat ...

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sally and James, my comment was (more than) a little flippant but so much of the advise seems contradictory, the Low Carb/high fat diet is the opposite of the diet my doctor gave me.

I've ordered a Blood Glucose meter and will use that to see what works for me based on the low carb/high fat diet.

Thanks for the advise everyone.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've now received a Codefree meter and based on very limited use, the readings I have received are;

Before eating; 3.5, 4.8, 4.0, 5.5
2 hours after what had been a normal meal (liver, bacon, chips) 7.5
1 hour after coffee & toast 5.5
2 hours after a 5 course French lunch, 6.3

Can anything be read into these readings?

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

I'm 62 and live in France and was diagnosed type 2, 5 years ago.
We're lucky here in receiving full blood tests every 3 months with the results coming straight to us. I was also provided with a meter by the GP and he prescribes strips (now limited).

Your doctor should register you as diabetic so that any related medication/treatment is free. You may be followed by diabetes care service Sophia too.
You should have regular eye, feet, heart examinations too.
Official diet advice is similar to typical NHS advice. So you may want to think about reducing carbohydrates yourself and it may be frowned upon by health professionals.
You probably know that on packaging the French for carbohydrates is "glucides" , but it's usually shown as a percentage of how much in 100 grams of the product (as in UK).

Try to learn as much as you can about diabetes and make up your own mind about diet, but it's worth thinking about limiting carbs.

Do ask if there are more questions,

Jane.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've now received a Codefree meter and based on very limited use, the readings I have received are;

When I want to know what something does to my bg I test every hour until I am back to baseline, sometimes every half hour. Some things spike you fast while other stuff can cause a rise in bg much later.

For example, glass noodles seemed fairly all right at first at 6.3 after one hour, still the same at two hours with a baseline of something like 4.7. At three hours I was 7.7, four hours 7.3.

Or porridge with milk, I wouldn't have know it makes my bg go above 10 if I only tested at two hours as by then it will be around 7.

You set your own goal for bg control. I asked my DSN what levels were safe but she couldn't tell me this so I try to keep as close to normal as possible.

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

How are you getting on?

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your interest

I think I'm in denial and haven't really changed my diet that much.
The readings I have seen are;
Date Event Value

12/11/2014 Out Of Bed 6.2

11/11/2014 Before Bed 5.5

11/11/2014 After Lunch 5.3

11/11/2014 Before Lunch 5.6

11/11/2014 Out Of Bed 6.8

10/11/2014 After Dinner 6

10/11/2014 Before Dinner 4.8

10/11/2014 After Lunch 4.8

10/11/2014 Before Lunch 5.1

09/11/2014 After Lunch 4.3

09/11/2014 Before Lunch 6.5

09/11/2014 Out Of Bed 5.3

08/11/2014 After Dinner 4.5

08/11/2014 Before Dinner 4.7

08/11/2014 After Lunch 6.6

08/11/2014 Before Lunch 4.9

08/11/2014 Out Of Bed 7.6

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to be a while in replying. Had to convert your readings!
Yours look good to me, but then I think you were diagnosed as Pre-diabetic?
So, I'd suggest trying loc carb in spite of health service advice. I had same advice at Hospital clinic (St. Malo), but I know that their diet raises my blood sugar.

It sounds like you're doing OK; keep active, be aware of carbohydrates and test if you can. As you say, French system excellent on regular testing.

Do keep coming back for queries or progress reports.

Jane.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still confused, or possibly my tester is playing up;
The last few readings have been
Yesterday 18:26 before dinner 4.8
Yesterday 21:35 After dinner 4.3
Today 12:40 Before Lunch 8.4
Today 14:41 After Lunch 5.7

All I had between 21:35 last night and 12:40 today was 2 cups of unsweetened coffee, one at 21:40 last night and one at 09:00 this morning.

Anyone any ideas or thoughts?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your readings are excellent, apart from today's pre-lunch. I imagine that high reading is because you skipped breakfast, which is not a good idea for diabetics. Your digestive system would have been very empty by lunch time, and your body crying out for glucose, so your liver most likely dumped some of its own glucose in your system to compensate and to keep you going during starvation. This is normal. Try making sure you have breakfast early on after you get up. See if it makes a difference.

On the other hand, it could have been a rogue reading. We all get these from time to time, so if you get a reading that is unexpected (either too high or too low) it is wise to test again another twice. The 3 readings should confirm it one way or another.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much for the reply, I haven't eaten breakfast for 40 years (unless it's already been paid for in a hotel) .

I have had other highish readings either first thing in the morning or before lunch, could this be because of the time since I last had anything to eat?, typically I have dinner at 19:00.