Not taking insulin, but normal BG's? opinions please! :)

I'm type 1 diabetic since 18 months old, I don't produce any insulin and I was wondering if it was okay to not take your insulin but keep blood sugars normal?

I done it once for about a week. I have very little to no insulin, mainly ate non carbohydrate foods and proteins, veg etc, I exercised too and my blood sugars were actually really good (around 6.0).

I know that if u don't take insulin but have high BG's is fatal and causes long term damage, but what if your BG's are normal? Will you still have long term damage to eyes, organs etc etc? Surley if your blood sugars are normal then its okay?...

Plus it would be a good way to shed the pounds, as long as you checked your blood glucose regularly, making sure u weren't creeping into the highs, but not being too low either...its quite strict but is it possible?

What's your opinions, thanks :)

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started to low carb and still need small amounts of insulin to process the proteins which will be turned into a source of glucose in your body in the absence of carbs. Also there are small amounts of carbs in veggies which need processing. I am not expert but I would have thought that you should at least take your basal insulin so ensure you are not completely starving your body. In fact it's a perfect opportunity to make sure your basal insulin is correct!

One good thing I do find about low carbing (I'm talking 30-40g/day made up mostly by vegetables and dairy) is the lack of the swings between high and low and the spikes after eating seem to be far far lower

That's what I thought, even if things have basically no carbs they might still be turned into glucose or something, that's why I was saying to exercise too.

The little amount of glucose and carbs in meat or dairys or something can easily be burned off with exercise so your blood sugars return to normal.

So maybe it is possible, its hard I admit, but NOT taking my insulin gives me motivation somehow to really stick to eating little (but enough) and exercising the small amounts off. It motivates me because I HATE the feeling I get when I'm high, so that pushes me to really push myself and not retort back to insulin.

I don't see the harm in not taking insulin as long as your BG's are fine. Obviously you'd have to eat mainly protein and veg but and exercise a little though.

Its probally the most efficiant way to lose weight In my opinion. Then once you have achived your goal, you can slowly start taking very small units of insulin, in comparison to what your eating, if you want to eat a bit more.

Since I see no horrible side or longterm effects, I think this is what ill do.

Anyone else? :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Regardless of your diet and exercise regime if you are a T1 diabetic and you dont take your insulin your bg levels will rise and you will eventually drift into a diabetic coma and die.

It may be that you are still in the honeymoon period and are able to get away without using much insulin but that will not last and you must take at least some insulin if your body is not producing its own, insulin is vital for life.

I repeat, If you are T1 you must take your insulin it is extremely dangerous not to and you are gambling with your health by not taking your recommended insulin.

Please, please, please talk this over with your doctor/nurse/endo it is vital that you take your insulin.

elaine77

The OP can't be in the honeymoon period though surely if they produce NO insulin and haven't since a baby?? Then there's also the question of how can u get away with no basal if u don't produce anything?

Rather than stopping taking insulin cold turkey it might be worth going to see ur GP to ask them to run a c-peptide test on u? They may then advise you what to do with ur exogenous insulin in order to get an accurate result of whether YOU are producing any insulin urself?

I have seen bits of research that suggest beta cells CAN regenerate and so might be worth speaking to ur GP bout it and seeing what's going on under their care so there's less of a risk to your health.....

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.