Novorapid/Solostar - alternatives for less injections?

kwh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I often reply to posts on the Facebook page for Diabetes.co.uk but this is first time I've posted on the forum.

I wanted to hear about from others who have moved from Novorapid/Lantus Solostar (4 injections a day) to something which doesn't require so many injections.

To give a bit of background about me:

• I'm a 30 year old male
  • Been Type 1 since I was approx 18. months old
  • Used Novomix for a long time (2 per day) then switched to Novorapid/Lantus around 6 years ago.
  • For a long time I've viewed my diabetes as an inconvenience rather than a disease, and I still do.
  • I can't remember not being diabetic
In my 20s I rebelled a bit and was silly. This meant my diabetes was poorly controlled and having ambulances called for me wasn't uncommon for a few years (as in at least twice a year). But I grew up and stopped being stupid, and now I'm in reasonably good control again with HBA1c of around 6-7 (I still use the old measurements :)). I'm happy with that, because there was a point where I wasn't eating properly and was effectively using lucozade as food. I.e. I'd inject at the right time but not eat, instead I'd keep lucozade to my side and sip when I needed. Now I've stopped doing that thankfully, better late than never and on the whole my doctor/nurses are happy and I don't need to see them often.

BUT - 4 injections a day annoys me. My work is so busy and it's a massive hassle to have to carry pens around (at the weekend too, I have to make sure I remember to take the Lantus when I'm out). It's really frustrating me now more than ever and I just wish it would go away haha :)

Has anyone switched from Novorapid (one before breakfast, lunch, dinner)/ Lantus Solostar (every evening) to something whcih requires less frequent injections?

I haven't thought about insulin pumps but would love to hear from people who've switched to those after a long period of injections too.

If anyone can offer advice I'd much appreciate it and apologies if this is a bit of a rambling post!!

Thanks
Kev

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Pumps are good but are actually harder work in some ways.

You have to be focussed on managing basal units.. Some pumps you have to programme up to 24 hourly slots.

You have to test more than you probably do at the moment.

You have to wear it permanently on you basically 24/7/365.

You also need to take time out to assess what needs changing whether its basal/bolus/correction factors a bit more than on MDI.

You have to change the sets 2-3 days. Batteries, cartridhes, tubes will also need to be changed at varying times.

You need to carry spare sets, tube, batteries with you really. Or a back up pen with insulin and then you would need to change the insulin in the pen every 30 days to.

I was on pump for 5 years and genuinely loved it. Due to my lean and mean body I was hsving problems and have now stopped and returned to MDI.

Personally I will not go back to pump. I love MDI aa its given me my freedom back.
I can jump in bath without detaching.
No faffing around when pump played me up
My hubby never moaned once but he always wondered wher was my tube under the duvet, and where was the set.
I love to inject and go now.

Why don't you ask to see a pump?

kwh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Thanks for your reply, this is helpful. To be honest I don't check my sugars very often... I was basically dreaming there maybe there's a miraculous 1-injection a day solution which obviously there isn't haha.

I don't want to be checking my blood sugars all the time and the current setup works, even if I do find a hassle.

Maybe I should just leave it.

Anyway I have my checkup week after next so I'll see what the team think and if they have any suggestions.

Thanks again!

tmaz

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just about to write a post asking the opposite. I'm on metformin 1000mg twice a day and novo mix 30/70 twice daily just increased to 20 units per injection. My levels drop to about 10 then almost like my body gets used to it n shoots backup now running between 19/20. Keep asking to change insulin but they just keep increasing the units.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Bit late to this but will add I have found the same with novomix just keep upping units and now using double the previous units but each time its upped all ok for day or two then more neded and this has happened with my brother also. Now awaiting consultant visit to restart basal bolus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm T1D & have been on a pump since 1984. I've taken breaks in between, but have always returned. I am now using Omnipod & I love it! Easy, convenient, no muss no fuss & tubeless! Fill it w/insulin, slap it on your arm, tummy, lower back, or thigh, & you're good to go! And no, I am NOT an Omnipod sales rep! (Prior to Omnipod, I was using the MiniMed) I am also using the Dexcom CGM (continuous glucose monitor) which only requires 2 blood checks per 24 hrs. for calibration. You ALWAYS know what your current BG is, as the CGM updates every 5 minutes. And now, you have the option of using their app to sync with your smart phone/device! I now check my BGs on my iPhone! And I check it at least 50+ times a day! This is the key to control, along with microbolusing & microcarbing. In 3 months, my A1C went from 7.8 to 5.7%!

So, I would recommend that everyone on insulin get a CGM. Pump therapy is nice but an insulin pen is fine too. I would also recommend that everyone reading this post, whether you're a diabetic tribe member or a family member, get your hands on a copy of Dr. Stephen Ponder's book, Sugar Surfing! This will, literally, turn your life around! Dr. Ponder has been been T1D since he was 10, & is a practicing Pediatric Endocrinologist.

Back to your query, KWH, using a pump with a CGM, will do away with injections and reduce finger stick checks to 2x/day.

Response to Donnelysdogs post, above. Using a tubed pump is NOT harder but it does require time & Donnelysdogs' complaints are valid. It requires you to periodically switch the site of the pump, fill the reservoir w/insulin, prime the pump, etc., & finally, use an inserter to insert. This process may seem hard, but you only do this once a week (although my records was 4 weeks & I usualy had it on for 2 weeks at a time). This process becomes MUCH easier & faster with the Omnipod, as there are no tubes or insertion guides, no sets to prime, no batteries to replace (they're self contained). Donnelysdogs needs to get on the Omnipod as all her complaints would vanish! All you do is fill it with insulin, & place it on your upper arm (the attached adhesive tape keeps it on for 80 hours). It comes with a PDM (personal diabetes manager) which you use to start up the Pod, bolus, set your basal rate, & also, test your BGs, It also calculates your dosage based on your results (you have to program the PDM initially to determine your Insulin to carb ratio, etc., contains a food library with carb info, & many other features. You don't have to take it off for any reason other than to switch it out after 3 days + 8 hours.

Good luck to you & let us know how you do!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pumps are good but are actually harder work in some ways.

You have to be focussed on managing basal units.. Some pumps you have to programme up to 24 hourly slots.

You have to test more than you probably do at the moment.

You have to wear it permanently on you basically 24/7/365.

You also need to take time out to assess what needs changing whether its basal/bolus/correction factors a bit more than on MDI.

You have to change the sets 2-3 days. Batteries, cartridhes, tubes will also need to be changed at varying times.

You need to carry spare sets, tube, batteries with you really. Or a back up pen with insulin and then you would need to change the insulin in the pen every 30 days to.

I was on pump for 5 years and genuinely loved it. Due to my lean and mean body I was hsving problems and have now stopped and returned to MDI.

Personally I will not go back to pump. I love MDI aa its given me my freedom back.
I can jump in bath without detaching.
No faffing around when pump played me up
My hubby never moaned once but he always wondered wher was my tube under the duvet, and where was the set.
I love to inject and go now.

Why don't you ask to see a pump?

I can so relate to your pump woes! I once had a tiny hole in the tube near the luhr & had to be hospitalized with a BG over 900. The tubing would catch on just about anything & almost yank out the pump! I would forget to put it back on after my morning shower as I was rushing off to work, had to give up wearing dresses & forget about lingerie & don't get me started on how it effects your intimate relationship with your husband! A real pain the ass! But I did prefer it to MDI at the time. When I heard about Omnipod, I knew this was my answer. My only issue with it is you must switch it out ever 3 days + 8 hours. But, it only takes about 2 minutes to fill & stick on your body (you don't mess with any needles-the pod does it for you). See my comments to KWH regarding this pump. It resolves ALL the issues of a tubed pump. I highly recommend you check it out!

Good luck to you!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think @donnellysdogs biggest problem was using sets with low body fat didn't really work, and I'm not sure the Omnipod would change that...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm T1D & have been on a pump since 1984. I've taken breaks in between, but have always returned. I am now using Omnipod & I love it! Easy, convenient, no muss no fuss & tubeless! Fill it w/insulin, slap it on your arm, tummy, lower back, or thigh, & you're good to go! And no, I am NOT an Omnipod sales rep! (Prior to Omnipod, I was using the MiniMed) I am also using the Dexcom CGM (continuous glucose monitor) which only requires 2 blood checks per 24 hrs. for calibration. You ALWAYS know what your current BG is, as the CGM updates every 5 minutes. And now, you have the option of using their app to sync with your smart phone/device! I now check my BGs on my iPhone! And I check it at least 50+ times a day! This is the key to control, along with microbolusing & microcarbing. In 3 months, my A1C went from 7.8 to 5.7%!

So, I would recommend that everyone on insulin get a CGM. Pump therapy is nice but an insulin pen is fine too. I would also recommend that everyone reading this post, whether you're a diabetic tribe member or a family member, get your hands on a copy of Dr. Stephen Ponder's book, Sugar Surfing! This will, literally, turn your life around! Dr. Ponder has been been T1D since he was 10, & is a practicing Pediatric Endocrinologist.

Back to your query, KWH, using a pump with a CGM, will do away with injections and reduce finger stick checks to 2x/day.

Response to Donnelysdogs post, above. Using a tubed pump is NOT harder but it does require time & Donnelysdogs' complaints are valid. It requires you to periodically switch the site of the pump, fill the reservoir w/insulin, prime the pump, etc., & finally, use an inserter to insert. This process may seem hard, but you only do this once a week (although my records was 4 weeks & I usualy had it on for 2 weeks at a time). This process becomes MUCH easier & faster with the Omnipod, as there are no tubes or insertion guides, no sets to prime, no batteries to replace (they're self contained). Donnelysdogs needs to get on the Omnipod as all her complaints would vanish! All you do is fill it with insulin, & place it on your upper arm (the attached adhesive tape keeps it on for 80 hours). It comes with a PDM (personal diabetes manager) which you use to start up the Pod, bolus, set your basal rate, & also, test your BGs, It also calculates your dosage based on your results (you have to program the PDM initially to determine your Insulin to carb ratio, etc., contains a food library with carb info, & many other features. You don't have to take it off for any reason other than to switch it out after 3 days + 8 hours.

Good luck to you & let us know how you do!

Depends which pump or which sets etc that you use ref filling them up. Some pumps like Insight now have prefilled cartridges but are 1/2 the qty of insulin than their old combo.

Some people I know are pushing through 2 + units an hour. And large amounts for bolus's..

Due to mastectomy And having morphine patches that burn skin on arms and chest I am very limited for arm usage at all for anything. Although children have layers of skin and can accept cannulas.. The difference is with me that I am skin and muscle-with no fat and due to this the manufacturer and consultant did not recommend pump anymore. I cannot wear in my stomach due to the muscle qty I have and also from bending and gardening as a job. The sets will actually fall out of my stomach.. Or in one case I had a picture sent to accuchek where the plaster was still stuck but the plastic flex had actually come out of my skin....or they block in my stomach.

I have discussed and discussed and discussed my circumstances with manufacturers and medics..-at the end of the day I am just glad to have the same stability on MDI as I did the pump...thanks to the two special guys here. Thankful to the advice n help I got here...