Now the X-PERT advice is low carb, high fat

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The author of the X-PERT course, Trudi Deakin, has just brought out a new book :

Low%20Carb%20Handbook%20front%20cover_200.png

This Handbook is an 89-page step-by-step guide to low carb/high fat living that includes full colour guides and photographs; menu ideas and recipes; tips to ensure success; frequently asked questions; scientific evidence that supports the diet.

If you would like to feel less hungry; lose weight and keep it off; improve blood glucose, blood pressure or blood fat levels whilst also reducing prescribed medication; reduce bloating and IBS symptoms; improve the appearance of your skin; diminish heartburn and acid reflux; ease the symptoms of premenstrual tension; improve your long-term health and reduce aging………..then this handbook is for you.

SPECIAL PRE ORDER PRICE £4.99 available until the 19/01/2015

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Gob smacked.. So what is she doing to re educate the course leaders that take these courses in hospital?

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gob smacked.. So what is she doing to re educate the course leaders that take these courses in hospital?
I agree. If she is the founder of the courses advising people To eat low fat, and include starchy carbs at every meal, then she has done a lot of damage. It will take years to get the X-PERT courses changed to reflect this turnaround / paradigm shift.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not so sure her low carb is the same as our low carb. Her low carbs also include starchy ones - or so my nurse told me last week. She had just been on a training course where Trudi Deakin was a presenter.

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Starchy carbohydrates with every
meal is good advice”
Trudi Deakin
DEN Conference 16th May 2012

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe she has changed her thinking on low fat and now says to eat fat. However, her low carb is not quite the low carb we recognise. Lower carbs is most likely the best description, possibly even a low GI style.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I believe she has changed her thinking on low fat and now says to eat fat. However, her low carb is not quite the low carb we recognise. Lower carbs is most likely the best description, possibly even a low GI style.

I think Trudy is an advocate of lower carbs but not sure if she endorses LCHF diets where carbohydrates are severely restricted, she spoke at the DUK conference last April in a debate entitled Is it time to stop promoting carbohydrates to people with diabetes, here is a short extract of what she said but you can read the article in full following the link I've provided:

Carbohydrate requirement
Glucose is essential for survival. The brain requires 130 grams of glucose per day and the carbohydrate reference intake (RI) for a healthy adult is 260 grams per day, double the minimum requirement to ensures sufficient carbohydrate is available to meet physical activity demands. But three things should be noted:

• the 260g per day is not a target but a reference;
  • it is a reference for a healthy adult who is moderately active and normal weight;
  • if the relevant amount of carbohydrate is not consumed, the body can make it from protein and fat supplies.
Individual needs
The reference range of 260 grams of carbohydrate per day does not suit every person with diabetes. In Type 1 diabetes, people may not wish to take the high doses of insulin required to match that level of carbohydrate and, in Type 2 diabetes, insulin may not work properly at clearing the glucose from the blood (insulin resistance) and additional carbohydrate can aggravate the problem, especially if the person is overweight and not physically active.

People with diabetes require structured carbohydrate awareness education so that they understand which foods contain carbohydrate and develop the skills to assess their own diet and be able to work out the amount and type of carbohydrate they are eating.

They can then set themselves goals to ensure they are consuming the right amount of carbohydrate to match their physical activity levels, also taking into consideration their weight and level of diabetes control.

In the UK, many of the starchy staple foods release the glucose quickly into the blood i.e. they are high GI foods. But when people are advised to base their meals on carbohydrate, many of them end up eating over 300 grams a day.

Through our experience of delivering structured education, many people reduce their carbohydrate intake to between 130-260 grams per day and are able to improve their diabetes control and body weight as a result. To date, lower carbohydrate diets have not shown any negative effects.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/Carbohydrates-and-diabetes-debate/

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just where do these official nhs and worldwide health care professional work out their data from that we need so many carbs? We just do not need so many carbs to keep us lean and nutritioned at a normal weight... So where's the data coming from that she quotes as neding to eat 130-260g a day?

Thats what I can't figure...

Reactions: 11 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just where do these official nhs and worldwide health care professional work out their data from that we need so many carbs? We just do not need so many carbs to keep us lean and nutritioned at a normal weight... So where's the data coming from that she quotes as neding to eat 130-260g a day?

Thats what I can't figure...

In the article she talks from experience delivering the structured education programmes and seeing the results after, look at the last paragraph above before the link.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Some of it also comes from false analysis. The original statement was "the brain requires 130g of glucose a day to function". Note that this does not equal "you need to eat 130g of glucose a day to feed the brain", however, through multiple reiteration and statements by HCPs misunderstanding the two statements and having less idea about energy physiology than perhaps they ought, we have arrived at "eat lots of carby food to feed your brain".

Reactions: 17 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
In the article she talks from experience delivering the structured education programmes and seeing the results after, look at the last paragraph above before the link.

Through our experience of delivering structured education, many people reduce their carbohydrate intake to between 130-260 grams per day and are able to improve their diabetes control and body weight as a result. To date, lower carbohydrate diets have not shown any negative effects.

There's a difference though between 'improving diabetes control' and 'controlling your diabetes'. The former could just include staying the same and not having to increase the meds. As for the last sentence, wow, no **** Sherlock.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's a difference though between 'improving diabetes control' and 'controlling your diabetes'. The former could just include staying the same and not having to increase the meds. As for the last sentence, wow, no **** Sherlock.

Just thought the article would be helpful, don't shoot the messenger.......................................

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a step in the right direction.
Albeit a smaller step than I would like.

I wonder how long it will take to filter through to HCPs on the coal face?

Reactions: 10 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I think Trudy is an advocate of lower carbs but not sure if she endorses LCHF diets where carbohydrates are severely restricted, she spoke at the DUK conference last April in a debate entitled Is it time to stop promoting carbohydrates to people with diabetes, here is a short extract of what she said but you can read the article in full following the link I've provided

I did XPert and we were told 130 carbs minimum per day

Carbohydrate requirement
Glucose is essential for survival. The brain requires 130 grams of glucose per day and the carbohydrate reference intake (RI) for a healthy adult is 260 grams per day, double the minimum requirement to ensures sufficient carbohydrate is available to meet physical activity demands. But three things should be noted:

• the 260g per day is not a target but a reference;
  • it is a reference for a healthy adult who is moderately active and normal weight;
  • if the relevant amount of carbohydrate is not consumed, the body can make it from protein and fat supplies.
Individual needs
The reference range of 260 grams of carbohydrate per day does not suit every person with diabetes. In Type 1 diabetes, people may not wish to take the high doses of insulin required to match that level of carbohydrate and, in Type 2 diabetes, insulin may not work properly at clearing the glucose from the blood (insulin resistance) and additional carbohydrate can aggravate the problem, especially if the person is overweight and not physically active.

People with diabetes require structured carbohydrate awareness education so that they understand which foods contain carbohydrate and develop the skills to assess their own diet and be able to work out the amount and type of carbohydrate they are eating.

They can then set themselves goals to ensure they are consuming the right amount of carbohydrate to match their physical activity levels, also taking into consideration their weight and level of diabetes control.

In the UK, many of the starchy staple foods release the glucose quickly into the blood i.e. they are high GI foods. But when people are advised to base their meals on carbohydrate, many of them end up eating over 300 grams a day.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News/Carbohydrates-and-diabetes-debate/

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
They may be on to something:

"We have also identified that eating carbohydrate increases blood glucose levels, which then increases the levels of a hormone called insulin in the blood."

Perhaps a Nobel prize in medicine is in their future.