Now the X-PERT advice is low carb, high fat

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The truth is even more frightening. DAFNE in the UK is licensed from its German originators and cannot be modified in any way. This is a condition of the licence, but also a decision by NICE. Because if they changed anything at all about DAFNE, that would invalidate the scientific evidence base for the positive effects of DAFNE on diabetes outcomes and endpoints.

So, wer spricht Deutsch?

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Still frustrating when reading this page on. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/nhs-diet-advice.html

Pity we can't get the persons putting on the comments at the bottom of the page to join the poll... I haven't got a clue how Facebook works or how to direct these people saying they ignore NHS advice to action on the poll (that I can't see!!)

Frustrates me that the NHS England has advised GP's that they MUST have patient participation groups and listen to their patients when it is NHS England and DUK that aren't listening to patients!!

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The truth is even more frightening. DAFNE in the UK is licensed from its German originators and cannot be modified in any way. This is a condition of the licence, but also a decision by NICE. Because if they changed anything at all about DAFNE, that would invalidate the scientific evidence base for the positive effects of DAFNE on diabetes outcomes and endpoints.

So, wer spricht Deutsch?

OMG that is dire!!!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Still frustrating when reading this page on. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/nhs-diet-advice.html

At the top of this it says "The NHS (and Diabetes UK) recommend a healthy, balanced diet that is low in fat, sugar and salt and contain a high level of fresh fruit and vegetables", followed by eat starchy carbs yadda yadda ...

How important are the actual members of this site? I for one wouid vote to dissociate from any endorsement of NHS diet advice.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the top of this it says "The NHS (and Diabetes UK) recommend a healthy, balanced diet that is low in fat, sugar and salt and contain a high level of fresh fruit and vegetables", followed by eat starchy carbs yadda yadda ...

How important are the actual members of this site? I for one would vote to dissociate from any endorsement of NHS diet advice.

So would I. This is old advice which we now know to be damaging. This needs to be changed now. I am feeling betrayed and upset by this lack of regard for diabetics. It doesn't affect me personally because I knew the advice to be wrong even before I was diagnosed. We are used to being let down by the media, even by DUK and the NHS but by this site too! Talk about lambs to the slaughter! Come on whoever really runs this outfit, show some common decency and help us to help others...please

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@zand i second your thoughts on betrayal... They have face book persons clearly not following their or NHS advice.
I really wish to know why diabetes uk and especially NHS England do not listen to persons with diabetes... Who effectively pay some of their wages!!

Edited as I think DD meant to say DUK not DCUK. NH.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Actually, looking at both websites they both are giving rotten health advice based upon research that has been discredited....others like IDDT are not really listening to patients either.

The NHS Enlaunched a trial programme this week for trying to reduce diabetes which they will then launch nationwide, and yet they are still not listening to patients that keep themselves healthy and have found alternatives to their flawed advice.

Currently there are very few NHS GP'S like Southport GP (Dr Unwin's) that are prepared to go the extra mile.

Deakint

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Trudi, is there a video of your presentation so we get to hear what you say over each slide?
Sorry Rod - the presentations at Diabetes UK are not recorded. If you have any questions about the slides do not hesitate to contact me. I do have some mega deadlines over the next couple of weeks but I will try and get back to you as soon as possible.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Many thanks Trudi, there might be one or two but there's no urgency :)

I'll leave anything until after Easter!

Deakint

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just been thinking... Trudi has gone out on a limb here to be honest.

So what are DAFNE and DESMOND organisers doing to improve their courses and advice?
Who organises these courses.. We know Trudi does xpert ones.. But her nutritionalisrs are really going to be up agaist a battle with NHS dietitians and clinicians that won't even open the doors or their ears to listening.

Who runs DAPHNE and DESMOND courses?

I undertake literature reviews and update our curriculums annually. I believe that DESMOND updates every 5 years. They have decided not to change their advice on saturated fat. This is their statement http://www.desmond-project.org.uk/404.html I am a little surprised that they have only quoted one study to support their decision. Both the DESMOND and DAFNE programmes are run by a collaborative of NHS staff. I am not familiar with the exact content of the educational programmes.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Trudi..
I'm again surprised that " 368 articles were identified and of those 37 were examined in detail."
That to me is as flawed as the past research studies... Makes me think that they may have been selective about the 37 articles that were studied...

I just want to thank you for listening to patients that have good experiences. In my 30 years of T1 you are the first person that has.

Reactions: 5 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have on the tv at the mo The Food We Eat by the Tonight team. Yet again, coconut oil is bad for us because it contains saturated fat which raises our cholesterol and in turn causes heart disease.

Give me a break!

Ali

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm looking forward to my next set of blood tests. It will be an interesting experiment...!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Waiting for my A1C which was done on Wednesday. Not got a cholesterol again until June. Also had T3 and T4 thyroid done.

Ali

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

So, wer spricht Deutsch?

Die situation ich lacherlich ! :D

Signy

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basically someone will need to fund new studies of a new type of structured education programme and produce new evidence before NICE will approve it.

And it's a joke anyway because such a small number go through DAFNE each year because of the high cost of delivery.

They should give every newly diagnosed diabetic a few books. Think Like a Pancreas, Diabetes Solution (maybe), Diabetes 101. It would cost peanuts compared to DAFNE. Probably about the same cost as an hour with a dietician. If that.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Basically someone will need to fund new studies of a new type of structured education programme and produce new evidence before NICE will approve it.

And it's a joke anyway because such a small number go through DAFNE each year because of the high cost of delivery.

They should give every newly diagnosed diabetic a few books. Think Like a Pancreas, Diabetes Solution (maybe), Diabetes 101. It would cost peanuts compared to DAFNE. Probably about the same cost as an hour with a dietician. If that.
I think a local library of books for loan such as these plus the X-pert manuals would be a great resource (& cost effective) :cool:
Only prob is the patients would start asking awkward questions:eek:

Reactions: 6 people