Now the X-PERT advice is low carb, high fat

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have duplicated from the poll....

Have a look at http://www.diabetesthinktank.org.uk

And http://ow.ly/HXBQ9

However the think tank is supported by Sanofi!!!

Interesting...

Makes me wonder how much research Roger Gadsby actually does towards the benefits of persons eating lower amounts of carbs.???

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yea, some EXPERT she is....all these years preaching the wrong thing...Glad I'm type 1.

Trudi has at least had the balls to change which is more than the rest of the experts!!!

I'm a type 1... What difference does that make?

Reactions: 2 people

Deakint

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's a very difficult place to be at the moment. Criticised by dietitans for updating our evidence base but disappointing people with diabetes for not doing it quick enough. Although X-PERT hasn't previously recognised the benefits from adopting a LCHF diet, it has always taught carb awareness and supported people in identifying the right level of carbs to meet their needs. I look forward to a time when the advice/education is fully evidence-based and uniform across the NHS but this will take time and the best thing we can do is to work together to raise awareness so that the public and healthcare professionals become informed about the impact of a LCHF lifestyle on health status and quality of life.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Deakint

Thank you for your comments Dr Deakin.

Do you consider that the diabetes think tank would consider views of us diabetics that aren't exceptionally happy with the advice or education that has been offered previously?

I don't sit on my hands doing nothing.. I like to actively try to improve the health of ALL diabetics through education and advice. So would be interested if you have had any involvement with the think tank at all.

I just think that diabetics should be doing more to help whether by doing research or lobbying etc. (think I'm getting to be a diabetic activist in my old age!!

I can very much imagine how the standing up in your situation can be difficult. It is heart warming to me to actually have a medical person that has listened and got involved especially with our internet community. Thankyou

Deakint

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Deakint

Thank you for your comments Dr Deakin.

Do you consider that the diabetes think tank would consider views of us diabetics that aren't exceptionally happy with the advice or education that has been offered previously?

I don't sit on my hands doing nothing.. I like to actively try to improve the health of ALL diabetics through education and advice. So would be interested if you have had any involvement with the think tank at all.

I just think that diabetics should be doing more to help whether by doing research or lobbying etc. (think I'm getting to be a diabetic activist in my old age!!

I can very much imagine how the standing up in your situation can be difficult. It is heart warming to me to actually have a medical person that has listened and got involved especially with our internet community. Thankyou

Thanks. I do think that people with diabetes can influence policy as current infrastructure is all about involving people living with the condition. I was invited to attend the Think Tank meeting but unfortunately couldn't attend due to other commitments. In some respects committees may take more notice from people living with diabetes than a healthcare professional. I do believe we need to work positively with policy makers and guideline committees as much as possible. The diet-heart hypothesis is so well ingrained that we can only hope for a shift in current thinking by educating and raising awareness. Your stories collectively can help to do this. One case study (n=1) will not have too much impact but n=?? (I don't know how many people are on this forum) could have a significant and positive impact. A campaign delivered diplomatically and professionally could be really effective. We don't want committees to feel threatened and undervalued as this could result in a backlash but working with the decision makers could be a step in the right direction?

AishaDublin

Thanks. I do think that people with diabetes can influence policy as current infrastructure is all about involving people living with the condition. I was invited to attend the Think Tank meeting but unfortunately couldn't attend due to other commitments. In some respects committees may take more notice from people living with diabetes than a healthcare professional. I do believe we need to work positively with policy makers and guideline committees as much as possible. The diet-heart hypothesis is so well ingrained that we can only hope for a shift in current thinking by educating and raising awareness. Your stories collectively can help to do this. One case study (n=1) will not have too much impact but n=?? (I don't know how many people are on this forum) could have a significant and positive impact. A campaign delivered diplomatically and professionally could be really effective. We don't want committees to feel threatened and undervalued as this could result in a backlash but working with the decision makers could be a step in the right direction?
Great lecture by Dr Trudi Deakin PhD - 3 Reasons Why We Need To Bin Dietary Guidelines In Relation To Saturated Fat. I found quite a lot of the Public Health Collaborationlecturesfrom last year on youtube. Looking forwardtthis year's conference in June! https://phcuk.org/conference/

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Thanks @AishaDublin for posting that & reminding us of this thread.

9 years ago I was becoming crippled with neuropathy & other complications - that was after 8 years on the DUK/NHS diet. With advice from Fergus on this forum I switched to low carb. In just 3 months my health was transformed. After 9 years of LCHF I am still fit & well, playing tennis at club standard.

I have been co-opted onto the North West London Diabetes group as example of success with LCHF.

I have also had disappointing correspondence with DUK & Balance. I have referred to the medical reports & found the published data at variance with the DUK advice.

Last edited: