Now what?

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi well done on your weight loss. I do a fairly gentle Pilates class most of us are 50++ and then practise the core exercises at home most days dosent take long and has made a huge difference to my middle alongside the dieting and 2 stone weight loss I have achieved

Thanks for this. Are the core exercises something you can learn on your own?

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin was only thing which softened my tummy fat hun.

Ps. If you have any concerns ask gp for an examination thou, just in case?

I have sort of given up on my gp. Apart from never being able to get an appointment they dont seem.very weill informed about my conditions. They are more concerned with making sure I have a flu jab.

I agree about the metformin. I have found that it helps with quite a lot.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly this!!! It is the insulin resistance that concerns me as well. I am 67 kgs, with another 2 to go which puts me in the middle of my healthy weight range.

I am not really bothered about my appearance ( although a beautiful bod would be nice)its the insulin that concerns me. I eat a low carb diet and am happy with that. I am not hungry but know I do not eat enough calories to maintain this weight. I am happy to increase the amount I eat (Christmas!!!)and dont want to be very skinny, which brings its own problems.

So what should I.do? Carry on and lose more weight to.see if insulin resistance improves? Or up the calories and maintain this healthy weight?

I suppose I can only try it and see what happens. A problem.is that some of my family already think I have developed an eating disorder. I keep leaving info about lchf diets about the place but they still.think its a fad, like the cabbage soup diet! I must admit I did try that once. It did not end well.
Not sure how much it will help but I have definitely stopped loosing weight... unfortunately not quite at the level I want so I'm thinking a bit of bacon and eggs limited eating window in the New Year. But the weight loss doesn't continue for ever...

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this. Are the core exercises something you can learn on your own?

Hi yes you can get a book from library or do a search on you tube. I’ve got a simple Pilates introduction and dvd low price from amazon and they can help but you do have to be careful with your breathing and getting the muscles pulled in right and it’s easier in an introductory class but not an option I know for some people. Also watch out you don’t go for advanced versions they can be daunting you just need the basics and to do them regularly good luck

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not sure how much it will help but I have definitely stopped loosing weight... unfortunately not quite at the level I want so I'm thinking a bit of bacon and eggs limited eating window in the New Year. But the weight loss doesn't continue for ever...

Do you think you are eating the same amount or has it crept up? I know that I can easily underestimate the amount I eat. Nuts, for example, are dreadful!! I seem to lose the ability to count when faced with a bag of almonds.

Do you think we have a "set point" for weight? Where we stop as long as we have a sufficient amount of calories?

As @Goonergal has said, its the liver fat and insulin resistance that bother me. But apart from a super scan I'm not sure how to go about finding out if I still have afatty liver. I would guess "yes".
Do you think an insulin resistance blood test is a good idea?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
remember its not the wobbly fat on the outside thats the bad guy its the very dense white fat hidden away inside thats the nasty stuff, if youve ever chopped up a whole lamb you would see the white stuff around the kidneys.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have sort of given up on my gp. Apart from never being able to get an appointment they dont seem.very weill informed about my conditions. They are more concerned with making sure I have a flu jab.

I agree about the metformin. I have found that it helps with quite a lot.
Can you change to a better gp/practice?
I tagged winner for your participation in the importance of metformin. New research this week tells how good it is for cancer growths too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kentoldlady1

If you are still loosing on your current eating plan and want to stop losing, all you can do is increase your calories, and they have to come from carbs, protein and/or fats. I really struggled to stop so I had to go back to basics of a detailed food diary, weighing food and calorie counting as well as carb counting. I had no intention of increasing carbs and in fact I reduced them to help with blood sugars, so all my extra calories came from protein and fat. It was all trial and error - a bit more cheese, a few more eggs, a bit more butter and so forth, gradually increasing things and carefully counting everything. It was not easy. I must have got it right in the end because I stopped losing, gained a few pounds deliberately, and have maintained ever since.

As for taking an insulin test, it will do no harm. Another way of getting some idea is an OGTT, which you can do at home.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm finding the weight loss is like a sets of stairs. Plateaus and then starts again.
I think my body accepting new level of insulin available. Then less insulin circulating, a loss until acceptance again.
But aren't you building muscle with your new exercise routine?
How much more weight do you want to lose?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So I could fight insulin for another 2-3yrs and may not succeed in putting my body in diabetic remission or......
Plough ahead with bariatric surgery which has greater success than ND and fasting.

Yes. Surgery it is, for me, fingers crossed. They have a wealth of experience leveling weight loss out after bmi reached too. I'm in good hands. For sure!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm finding the weight loss is like a sets of stairs. Plateaus and then starts again.
I think my body accepting new level of insulin available. Then less insulin circulating, a loss until acceptance again.
But aren't you building muscle with your new exercise routine?
How much more weight do you want to lose?
exercise kind of gone out the window.. thought it would...another couple of stone would be nice.. but if it doesn't happen then I'm fine with that too..

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
exercise kind of gone out the window.. thought it would...another couple of stone would be nice.. but if it doesn't happen then I'm fine with that too..
Weather is rubbish, I normally add weight in the winter due to cold. dark early nights and wanting to hibernate (mostly due to underactive thyroid, I think).
I hope you get your new year's wish. If anyone deserves it, its you!
I'm 18st 6lb but my running machine is for 18st max. I bought It when I was just under 18st 15yrs ago. I'm hoping it still works but awaiting him in doors to rope another into carrying it into big bedroom for me. Walking as offen as possible helps me. Do you like walking thou? Or skipping, when happy. Ha ha