Numb hands every morning

Sueper

Hi folks, I know i am just newly diagnosed but for a while i have had numb hands every morning? I am just wondering if this could be connected to the diabetes? I had carpal tunnel in both wrists & both were operated on but i went back to doc saying i still get numbness, so he sent me back for tests for carpal tunnel & they both came back normal. So could it be that its the diabetes causing this? Just a thought? :roll:

Sue

jahusba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having to cut carbs
I suffer with this too, some nights they wake me up with pins and needles. I would be interested to know what causes it. I think mine might be slow circulation, slowed down by my BP medication?

Jane :)

pavmas

diabetic neuropathy, I was sent to see a consultant who is the top in his field. when you wake up you have pins and needles in both hands it starts in in two fingers then the whole hand is numb.
It will eventually give you pins and needles in you arm if leaning on a chair.
It just gets worse I was told and was given pain killers. I had nerve damage before this due to an industrial accident and knew the pain but had never had it in my hands before so that why I got checked out. Its a diabetc neuro surgeon you need to see.

Reactions: lorraine95

jode72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

I am newly diagnosed (pre xmas joy!!!) and in the evening I get really quite painful legs (lower) my feet get very hot and restless almost feels like the skin is too tight for the feet I work in an office so it's not like I spend all day on my feet or anything can anyone advise me if this is quiet normal blood sugar is all over the place on Metformin and Glicazide still trying to get it all under control

would appriciate any advice

Jode

Elliotl

Hi Jode,

I had all the same symptoms as you for over a year before I was diagnosed with diabetes. Have you seen a neurologist for your feet? They will be able to help with the pain by giving you medication.Once your levels stabilise your nerves do grow back...but very slowly. As I'm sure you now know, having high blood sugar attacks the nerves, and it's the extremities of your body that get attacked first, hense hands and feet are always discussed. Things will sort themselves out, but it will be a slow process, but make sure you get to see a neurologist.
Elliot

jopar

I start with the numb hands first..

If you are waking with numb hands and/or pins and needles in them and it wears off pretty quickly once you'll awake, then it's unlikely to be diabetic neuropathy related it's more likely to be based around your sleeping position or associated with the effects of frozen shoulder these are the two most common reasons there are others, so it''s wise to speak to your GP and get it all checked out..

As to legs

Again could be many reasons, if you'll have weight issues and on your feet all day this could be the fundamental problem causing 'restless leg' syndrome but this doesn't usually cause any swelling or hot legs, just painful uncomfortable legs.. So if your legs are swelling up and feel hot, then you really do need to speak to your doctor as it could be based around water retention, skin infection or several other things that all need to be medically treated..

So in both cases a doc visit is a must

neilalastair

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the western high carb diet.
If you are newly diagnosed and I guess newly medicated or diet controlled. I was dx with and hba1c of 9.7 and within 3 months I was down to the 5's . But I had started with neuropathy also. There are diabetic nurses and doctors who will tell you that you have been diabetic for years and you were just unlucky to have this , but there is plenty of evidence to support the fact that rapid good control also causes this. I had trapped nerve feelings pins and needles in my hands etc also the legs and feet. It was pretty unbearable at times but the hands and arms did get better and are back to normal. The legs are still painful but nothing like initially. But I di sometimes get flare ups. Good sugar control is important. It can take 1-2 years plus remission is possible. Don't panic you may feel you are falling apart but you'll still outlive your doctor .

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Hi Jode,

I had all the same symptoms as you for over a year before I was diagnosed with diabetes. Have you seen a neurologist for your feet? They will be able to help with the pain by giving you medication.Once your levels stabilise your nerves do grow back...but very slowly. As I'm sure you now know, having high blood sugar attacks the nerves, and it's the extremities of your body that get attacked first, hense hands and feet are always discussed. Things will sort themselves out, but it will be a slow process, but make sure you get to see a neurologist.
Elliot
Nerves grow back? Is that fact. My hands and feet are awful.

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nerves grow back? Is that fact. My hands and feet are afu

If the damage is only to the ending of the axons, the long nerve fibres then this can repair and regrow . It takes time though. (nerve cells themselves once killed cannot regenerate but 'fortunately' it's the endings that are lost in diabetic peripheral neuropathy)
Eliminating the cause of the damage is important so good blood glucose control is vital but high glucose isn't the only cause. Nerve fibres can also be damaged by poor circulation, which results in a lack of oxygen to the endings . Nerve endings are not only killed off but can't regenerate without a good blood supply . In diabetes these conditions often go together. If you smoke then that also cuts oxygen to the periphery .
This explains the various causes and 'treatment' of neuropathy.
(Basically, healthy diet, weight loss, stop smoking, less alcohol, exercise and good glucose control)
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/peripheralneuropathy/detail_peripheralneuropathy.htm

nerve cell.JPG

(wiki commons)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Araminta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi folks, I know i am just newly diagnosed but for a while i have had numb hands every morning? I am just wondering if this could be connected to the diabetes? I had carpal tunnel in both wrists & both were operated on but i went back to doc saying i still get numbness, so he sent me back for tests for carpal tunnel & they both came back normal. So could it be that its the diabetes causing this? Just a thought? :roll:

Sue
I found out 5 hours ago I had this condition, I had numbness too in hands and had c, tunnel operation, I have pain in legs and feet , dr. Said foot pain was planter faschitis . I have varicose veins , thought pain was that , now wondering if I have had this condition for years and it has been missed? First test said I was a diabetic , second said I was not, this was years ago, I think this site will be a good comfort to me,

dstvman

Numbness in hands and fingers can be caused by several things. A common cause definitely is Carpal tunnel syndrome, periferal neuropathy, as well as other nerve compressions. One thing to not rule out however is hypothyroidism. One of its common symptoms is numbness in the hands. A simpe TSH blood test by your GP will indictae a reduced Thyroxine level.

Kwakr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2001, although I had numbness in my feet and hands for at least 3 or 4 years prior. Blood sugar didn't confirm diabetes before that.
It started as pins and needles while standing. Then the gradual numbness began, most noticeable in the feet and then the hands and forearms and even the face. It was almost like very slowly turning a rheostat. Some days I'd wake up to a slightly higher level of tingling in some body part, usually the hands. Within a few days that became the new normal and I just accepted it.
My diabetes doc says the peripheral neuropathy in diabetes patients is not reversible, all you can do is hope to slow the progression and take
meds to ease the pain (if it is painful, that is). Mine is not all that painful. My feet just feel like they are shrink-wrapped, my balance is suspect because the toes don't do their job as well when they have no feeling. God forbid a policeman asks me to do a sobriety test!
To the point that started this thread, I wake up each morning with very numb hands. I always worry that they will stay that way but after a few moments the numbness fades and I go on with my day.
I am nearly 72 so old age is creeping up. The meds have my blood sugar at very acceptable levels and I stay pretty active. A golfer would say "at least I am on the the right side of the divot!"
Cheers and good luck to all.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Before I was diagnosed I suffered the most intense pins and needles like a billion ants crawling up my feet and legs hands and arms. One night it was so intense in my feet and legs it was like a buzzing vibrating and I was really scared. Next day shaving in the bath and up the inside of each leg they were numb. The sensation in them on the sides is very much dulled.

It's due to diabetic neuropathy. My pins and needles stopped when I started diet controlling the diabetes but my lags are still numb. I've asked to see someone about this.

threedogs

Hi Jode,

Elliot
Your nerves grow back with good control ?? I have never heard this but I thought that over the past 12 months or so I am getting more feeling in my toes ..that is good news

jonnnyx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people (idiots) people who have to steal for a living-snobs just try to be human we all live in diferant societys takes nothing to treat everyone the same

Sue
ask the doctor to check your folic acid

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
All comments related true - bedtime is very bad for me as well with pins/needles, soreness in arms and shoulders (admittedly not legs or feet), after 3 years with really good BG control (and many under 4s readings) seems to make it worse over time. I now have 3 monthly B12 injections, sadly smoke and partake in 2/3 Glasses red wine more often than should). Pre-diabetic (Secondary Pancreatic pathology) was diagnosed chronic pancreatic, so I guess I brought all this on myself with previous wear and tear of muscles through heavy lifting and physical work and one hell-of-an-uncomfy bed!

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
Nerves grow back? Is that fact. My hands and feet are awful.
Feel for you. Not sure about nerves growing back, after my gall bladder removal, Doc said I'd never have same feelings, and he was right. Three years later my right side has no feeling. Sorry for downer, but your situation is so obviously different, so hang in there with optimism - at least it's something we've got

steb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sue
I was getting that just before i was diagnosed. since I've been on my medication I don't get so much.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello. I am new to all of this(told that I was t2 on Thursday) and I have most of these symptoms. However, I was also told 5 weeks ago that I was hypothyroid and many of the symptoms have started to get better with levothyroxin. Would def suggest that your levels are checked.