Numb Toes

Grannie75

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At the end of the summer I began to experience a tingling and numbness in my toes and balls of my feet. I blamed the crocs that I wore daily, but the numbness has gradually become worse to the point of also feeling very hot and painful which also kept me awake at night. Common sense kicked in and I went to see my GP. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with Prediabetes and have been referred to a 9 month NHS diabetes program to help me going forward. In this 3 weeks I have cleared my cupboards of all carb foods and have followed the low carb/ sugar diet religiously and am please to say that my feet feel 70% better. Still a slight numbness but almost back to normal.
I feel so much better on this food but I am not losing much weight, probable around 2 kg in 3 weeks but I know that most of this will be fluid and I don't kid myself that this is fat loss. I have been static in my weight for several days now. How important is the weight loss if I manage my blood sugar ? Can I stop the onset of diabetes without a massive weight loss?
I followed the low fat diet for years but never really lost weight. I know exercise is important but since my hip replacement 18 months ago the only exercise I get is a couple of miles a day of dog walking so I am concerned about what will happen if I don't manage to lose a lot of weight.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you are doing really well only 3 weeks in and a few days static is quite normal. You do not need massive weightloss to improve your control but some weightloss can help. Also lower blood sugar levels can lead to weightloss.

For me as a prediabetic, I purchased a blood testing meter changed my diet to lower my levels and lost 6 stone in weight over 9 months. I am still overweight and if I start gaining or my sugar levels go up I look to reducing carbs further.