Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMG_0474.JPG
So two + weeks ago I was worried that my numbers had plateaued in the 6s. Suggestions from you lovely people here, were to skip breakfast or lower carbs in general. I was eating 90 - 100/day. I tried skipping breakfast but even with a creamy coffee I didn't like doing that. So I tried the other suggestion. Since then I've eaten between 60 - 85/day, and today I have just had my first 24 hours of completely 5s!!!!!!!
Look :wideyed::):D:happy:

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Rachox. For the last month I've been averaging 60g carbs a day but my average BG is 6. I thought this was acceptable but maybe not then? I'm not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Rachox. For the last month I've been averaging 60g carbs a day but my average BG is 6. I thought this was acceptable but maybe not then? I'm not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions?
I'm no expert, I'm only seven weeks in! Hopefully someone will come along and help you out.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Please please please dont EVER compare your blood glucose levels with someone else! :)
It will drive you mad. Seriously loopy. :D

There are so many factors in play that comparisons are just exercises in frustration.
Age, sex, state of beta cells, cause of diabetes, amount of insulin resistance, exercise and activity levels, hormone levels and (dys)function, diet, way of eating, portion sizes, stress levels, glycemic index of foods, carb content, carb grams, timing of food, weather, environment temperature... See what I mean?

On the other hand, if you want to compare your own bg readings over time, with different meals and carbs, etc. then knock yourself out! That can teach you trendous amounts about managing you D :D

Reactions: Guzzler

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow that is amazing progress well done. Are you on any meds at all? I am trying to keep to less than 30 maybe even 20g carbs a day and I am nowhere near constant 5's yet so work to do for me still :)
Yes, I'm on Metformin 500mgs three times a day, I'm luckily tolerating it well.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please please please dont EVER compare your blood glucose levels with someone else! :)
It will drive you mad. Seriously loopy. :D

There are so many factors in play that comparisons are just exercises in frustration.
Age, sex, state of beta cells, cause of diabetes, amount of insulin resistance, exercise and activity levels, hormone levels and (dys)function, diet, way of eating, portion sizes, stress levels, glycemic index of foods, carb content, carb grams, timing of food, weather, environment temperature... See what I mean?

On the other hand, if you want to compare your own bg readings over time, with different meals and carbs, etc. then knock yourself out! That can teach you trendous amounts about managing you D :D
Didn't want to upset anyone, sorry! It's just my family though pleased for me, don't quite appreciate the significance of these milestones to me.

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance

Hi. I'd definitely agree with what @Brunneria had to say on this. That said, it is pretty natural to look at other people's numbers and think about them in relation to your own to some degree. We are all, however, variations on a theme complicated by all kinds of factors. My advice is to see 6mmols as absolutely acceptable if it is lower than it was before this first month of low carb dieting. It takes time. You will quite probably get that average down - let's face it an average of 6 means you are hitting 5s quite a lot. Even and average of 6mmols (if that actually does reflect your average and not just the average of your meter readings) would produce an HbA1c result (ie. the actual average over the preceding 3 months) of about 35...which is non-diabetic. I'd be happy that you are dog pretty well. You could always try dropping to 30g of carbs a day to see how that impact son your levels and your general well-being. If you do, make sure you eat some unsaturated fats, fibre and protein (oily fish...avocados...). Good luck. By the way, not to make comparisons....but...I'd be fine with an average of 6.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't want to upset anyone, sorry! It's just my family though pleased for me, don't quite appreciate the significance of these milestones to me.
There's nothing at all wrong with being thrilled with such great results and wanting to show them off. What IS counter productive (rather than wrong!) is for someone to see great results and be concerned that they personally haven't (yet!) been able to achieve similar levels.

@LadyLovely: As @Brunneria said there are all sorts of different factors involved and not one of us here has the "same" diabetes as anyone else so it can be quite a different challenge for each of us to get our readings down to acceptable levels. Some of us can manage with diet alone, some with various combinations - e.g. diet/exercise, diet/oral medication, and some people may need insulin to help control things. It took me a long time to get my levels down regularly below 6, and that was only because I eventually stopped taking statins (known to be implicated in raising blood sugars), which finally dropped me down to these better levels.

So just take small steps - when i was first diagnosed and started using meter I set myself target levels on it, and when I was able to reach and keep to these I'd set myself new ones, but if I set them too high I could back up a bit, so I was just in "competition" :D with myself and not anyone else, which set me a challenge, but one that was achievable at my own pace without any external pressure.

Robbity

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
View attachment 23214 So two + weeks ago I was worried that my numbers had plateaued in the 6s. Suggestions from you lovely people here, were to skip breakfast or lower carbs in general. I was eating 90 - 100/day. I tried skipping breakfast but even with a creamy coffee I didn't like doing that. So I tried the other suggestion. Since then I've eaten between 60 - 85/day, and today I have just had my first 24 hours of completely 5s!!!!!!!
Look :wideyed::):D:happy:
Nice one @Rachox!! NO PRIIIISONEEEERS!!!!

Reactions: Prem51 and Rachox

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't worry! :)
No one is upset, it is just that comparisons are such any easy thing to do, but they can really bake your noodle and cause a lot of unnecessary stress, especially for those who, despite their very best efforts, are stuck with higher numbers than they like. :)

Reactions: LadyLovely

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Don't worry! :)
No one is upset, it is just that comparisons are such any easy thing to do, but they can really bake your noodle and cause a lot of unnecessary stress, especially for those who, despite their very best efforts, are stuck with higher numbers than they like. :)

I absolutely agree...but..."bake your noodle"? Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful metaphor that I have never heard before (and shall now steal); it's just surely too many carbs! No low carb metaphors (ones that don't make me think of pasta)? ;)

Reactions: Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely agree...but..."bake your noodle"? Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful metaphor that I have never heard before (and shall now steal); it's just surely too many carbs! No low carb metaphors (ones that don't make me think of pasta)? ;)

Haha!
It is a quote from The Oracle in The Matrix.
First time I watched the film, I laughed out loud and thought 'I'm 'avin' that!'
:D

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @LadyLovely As others have said don't compare yourself with others. Your average 6.1 is lower than mine (6.3), but both are acceptable, within the 4-7 recommended for T2s.

@Rachox Great figures you are getting, well done! :)

Reactions: LadyLovely