ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am type2. For a few weeks I have had numbness in my left foot just with the toes. Also I have now got numbness in two fingers on my left hand. I did have a phone occultation with my gp about 9 days ago. He just said to see how the numbness goes, and if gets worse then to see him. He did,nt seem worried.
I know diabetics can get numbness in their feet but not heard about numbness in fingers.
Do I go and see him, I Don, t want to waste his or my time going if it's nothing to worry about

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ally1

The important thing is ....how do you feel about it? I know GPs are under a lot of time pressure at the moment, but that is no excuse for making their patients feel under pressure not to contact them!
It is important that any changes get picked up sooner rather than later.

Also...the diabetic nurses who are often working at the surgeries tend to have a better understanding than the GP.....if you can make use of them.

Don't leave things, and certainly if they cause you concern, then stake out your GPs surgery and get an appointment. In my opinion, the worrying can have a bigger negative impact on your life than the health issue that causes the worry.

Have a good day!

Tony

Last edited:
Reactions: ally1

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/neuropathy.117471/

There was some interesting comments on the linked thread about taking vitamins to help neuropathy : Alpha Lipoic Acid and B12. It was also suggested you try to keep your blood glucose to 7 or below at all times. I have recently been feeling some pins and needles in my hands, so I have concerns there myself.

Reactions: Freema and ally1

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There is no way of knowing if this is diabetes related and there are many different things it could be. You need to get this checked out asap. Do not let the docs fob you off by assuming because you are a diabetic it is neuropathy.

Reactions: Freema

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@ally1 I'd see my Doc if it was me or at least chat with my DSN.. she would likely refer me to the G.P. if there was anything worrying.
You said yourself... doc said if it gets worse to go and see him.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am type2. For a few weeks I have had numbness in my left foot just with the toes. Also I have now got numbness in two fingers on my left hand. I did have a phone occultation with my gp about 9 days ago. He just said to see how the numbness goes, and if gets worse then to see him. He did,nt seem worried.
I know diabetics can get numbness in their feet but not heard about numbness in fingers.
Do I go and see him, I Don, t want to waste his or my time going if it's nothing to worry about

Ally, although your GP isn't worried about it, you are clearly concerned enough to post about it on here.

In your shoes, I'd want to see him and have him assess things properly. That's his job.

It's good that you are engaged in your own health care. Never apologise for caring about your health and well being.

Reactions: Struma and ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have rung my surgery, had and almighty argument. Was told by receptionist that all gp,s are fully booked up, fair enough so requested an appointment with the DNS
Got told that can,t see her as am down for annual check up july/August. I explained what my gp said. Still was getting nowhere so I asked to be put through to the practise manager.
Explained it all to him and initially he said no.
By now I got on my high horse and said that if I lost my toes and fingers, then I would sue the surgery.
Hey presto, got an appointment for the 24th March. Just means waiting 16 days but I can cope with that.
I know it might not be diabetic related but it could be. That way if the DN was worried or concerned then she would get me into see the gp.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ally1 so sorry to hear this. I had pins and needles down my forearm, part of the hand and numbness in 2 of the fingers. That was December 2015. I took it to the Doc after 3 continuous days, as I had by then decided it was nothing to do with sleeping awkwardly. From there I ended up diagnosed T2 with a FBG of 16.5 and HbA1c of 96. Strangely no one asked if the sensations had gone, and in fact it lasted 9 months. I guess bringing my BS done eventually eradicated the symptoms. I know that you are fighting your BS with both arms behind you back. I know ALA helped me, see what you Dr says, and more importantly if he will prescribe it - it ain't cheap

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you testing blood glucose still, @ally1 ? And keeping a record to take to appointment.
I have similar numbness but mine is due to arthritis and damage to my spine. You are very wise to seek further advice, especially as your doctor has already been alerted to it.
Best of luck with the appointment.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have rung my surgery, had and almighty argument. Was told by receptionist that all gp,s are fully booked up, fair enough so requested an appointment with the DNS
Got told that can,t see her as am down for annual check up july/August. I explained what my gp said. Still was getting nowhere so I asked to be put through to the practise manager.
Explained it all to him and initially he said no.
By now I got on my high horse and said that if I lost my toes and fingers, then I would sue the surgery.
Hey presto, got an appointment for the 24th March. Just means waiting 16 days but I can cope with that.
I know it might not be diabetic related but it could be. That way if the DN was worried or concerned then she would get me into see the gp.

Well done for sticking to your guns Ally

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Ally! Sorry it was a fight but glad you have stuck to your guns. Good luck on the 24th :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Are you testing blood glucose still, @ally1 ? And keeping a record to take to appointment.
I have similar numbness but mine is due to arthritis and damage to my spine. You are very wise to seek further advice, especially as your doctor has already been alerted to it.
Best of luck with the appointment.
I do still test. More so just recently as my anti psycotic has been put up and that is known to affect levels. Since it was upped end of January, levels have risen but not excessively.
The numbness in my left foot toes were numb way before the upped dosage.
My left hand 2 fingers numbness are more recent

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had this in my left arm for several months... I had xrays and was told it was most likely due to degenerative wear at C6 and C7. It eventually self resolved. Symptoms were chronic nerve pain in arm and numbness tingling and pins and needles in thumb and 3 fingers. I still get numbness occasionally, usually if I have slept awkwardly but it resolves quickly within a minute or two of moving my arm.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I had this in my left arm for several months... I had xrays and was told it was most likely due to degenerative wear at C6 and C7. It eventually self resolved. Symptoms were chronic nerve pain in arm and numbness tingling and pins and needles in thumb and 3 fingers. I still get numbness occasionally, usually if I have slept awkwardly but it resolves quickly within a minute or two of moving my arm.
I Don, t have any pain. Maybe I am being over cautious

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I Don, t have any pain. Maybe I am being over cautious

I hope it is over cautiousness Ally, but still best to have it checked out.

As a thought, Have you checked for all the possible side effects of your various medications in case it is listed?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I hope it is over cautiousness Ally, but still best to have it checked out.

As a thought, Have you checked for all the possible side effects of your various medications in case it is listed?
Hi bluetit, yes have gone through all leaflets regarding my meds. Only the anti psycotic one said anything interesting, it said about a swollen tongue.
Nothing saying numbness. So I will see what the DNS says and most likely be nothing

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bluetit, yes have gone through all leaflets regarding my meds. Only the anti psycotic one said anything interesting, it said about a swollen tongue.
Nothing saying numbness. So I will see what the DNS says and most likely be nothing

Good luck, and let us know how you go on.