Nurse Handwriting

Dzeis72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recently diagnosed and I had requested that all the results be written down for me. I was told that my HBA1C was 161. I've ben re-tested since and the figure is 59. At the re-test briefing the nurse mentioned the previous level of 101. I questioned this figure with the nurse as I was told that my initial reading was 161. "Well", said the nurse. "That was probably my handwriting".

Just thought I'd share that with you all for a laugh.

Reactions: 75Bedford

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blimey, @Dzeis72 - I wonder what medical decisions are being made at your doctors' practice on a daily basis because of her dodgy handwriting - that's a worry!

Great to have got down to 59 from either of those numbers, though - well done - it's a good start!

:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Online access is brilliant, certainly worthwhile pursuing.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tried the online access thing recently - and ridiculously it seems my online medical records consist, as far as I can tell, solely of a list of medication I am on! Background: I had been spurred on by reading about it on this forum so I went to the surgery to ask for online access to my results (I already do my repeat prescriptions online so that's all set up, but I was asking them to 'let me in' to blood test results, to save both them and me time, as per the guidelines of April 2016).

And as I say, all I could access was a list of medication. Same list as my online repeat list, of course - but on a different page and in a different format. Bizarre.

It had been such a faff to get them to 'set it up' in the first place, so I didn't quite have the balls to ask again......!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried the online access thing recently - and ridiculously it seems my online medical records consist, as far as I can tell, solely of a list of medication I am on! Background: I had been spurred on by reading about it on this forum so I went to the surgery to ask for online access to my results (I already do my repeat prescriptions online so that's all set up, but I was asking them to 'let me in' to blood test results, to save both them and me time, as per the guidelines of April 2016).

And as I say, all I could access was a list of medication. Same list as my online repeat list, of course - but on a different page and in a different format. Bizarre.

It had been such a faff to get them to 'set it up' in the first place, so I didn't quite have the balls to ask again......!

Snapsy, there are several levels of access they grant, so they may just have given you the next level up, rather than what you wanted.

The online service is excellent and does away with all that frustration of calling, and waiting in a queue just for some basic results. Generally, the levels of uptake in surgeries is very poor - even for prescription services.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

At least you've managed to get somewhere - I keep being fobbed off with 'it's up to the doctors when they do it' and get glowered at when I respond that I thought all patients had to be given access by April 2016 and we're now in June 2017

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I get full access.
So
repeat prescriptions, and history.
Medical record, test results, consultation notes, immunisation records, all going back 10 years or so.
Admittedly, I can't book appoitments, as that isn't the service practice, I just turn up and they see me.

Reactions: Prem51 and Snapsy

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Online access is brilliant, certainly worthwhile pursuing.

My surgery does not have online access and getting my results printed is a task and a half, I have asked 3 times over a month and no luck - yet! Will keep on pressuring though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'Glowered at' seems about right, sadly, @Daphne917 - I am often made to feel awkward, bless 'em.
My new surgery allows 'basic' access after a form is submitted.
Detailed access to test results requires a doc appt to discuss it first.
Seems somewhat OTT to me, and i'm waiting til i actually need an appt for something else before i push for the detailed access.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Monav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Recently diagnosed and I had requested that all the results be written down for me. I was told that my HBA1C was 161. I've ben re-tested since and the figure is 59. At the re-test briefing the nurse mentioned the previous level of 101. I questioned this figure with the nurse as I was told that my initial reading was 161. "Well", said the nurse. "That was probably my handwriting".

Just thought I'd share that with you all for a laugh.
How is 101 a diabetes diagnosis?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the UK @Monav an HbA1c of 48mmol/mol (6.5%) or higher is termed diabetic. Units in other countries may vary. The 101 - and indeed 161 - mentioned by the original poster are much higher than this.

Here's a guide to HbA1c and its role in diagnosing diabetes: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html